Carp Fishing in Sydney's South-West

GABBA

i thought it was illegal to release carp

they are a bloody pest

catch kill bury

Illegal to be caught in possession of a live carp in your bucket or keeper net, but definitely legal to catch and release the fish where you caught it (NSW and the ACT at least).

Same rules applies to Redfins.

I know that in Centenial Park Syd that a fishing club (that i can't remember the name of) have permission to go in and fish the ponds there and pull out HEAPS of Carp. Maybe you could contact the parks and golf courses and ask them if they would mind you having a cast in their ponds?

Guest hawkesbass

hey gabba can also fish the freshwater side of liverpool weir for the carp burley up with bread and corn kernels and use the same for bait under a float or lightly weighted bait on the bottom can also catch good bait sized mullet using the same method

I know that in Centenial Park Syd that a fishing club (that i can't remember the name of) have permission to go in and fish the ponds there and pull out HEAPS of Carp. Maybe you could contact the parks and golf courses and ask them if they would mind you having a cast in their ponds?

The only way you are able to fish in Centennial park is by being a member of Sydney Fly Rodders who use one of the ponds or by attending one of the carp days which are held every second Tuesday from 3pm til dusk. You need to register for this and numbers are limited so it fills up pretty quick, it is actually part of a research project where they are tagging and releasing the bigger ones as they think they actually help control the numbers by eating eggs and fry. Saw some nice ones caught there last summer but it can be a bit hit and miss depending on the rainfall and what pond you get to fish on the day. A lot of the ANSA carp records have come from in the park, most of the caught by Tony who runs the days. Actually you can also book a day with Tony to fish the park and he will put you onto some massive fish from ponds that never get fished not sure what the cost is though.

Ben

The only way you are able to fish in Centennial park is by being a member of Sydney Fly Rodders who use one of the ponds or by attending one of the carp days which are held every second Tuesday from 3pm til dusk. You need to register for this and numbers are limited so it fills up pretty quick, it is actually part of a research project where they are tagging and releasing the bigger ones as they think they actually help control the numbers by eating eggs and fry. Saw some nice ones caught there last summer but it can be a bit hit and miss depending on the rainfall and what pond you get to fish on the day. A lot of the ANSA carp records have come from in the park, most of the caught by Tony who runs the days. Actually you can also book a day with Tony to fish the park and he will put you onto some massive fish from ponds that never get fished not sure what the cost is though.

Ben

There you go. My brother used to work there and deal with those guys.. he told me of an absolute monster that they pulled out of there a couple of years back.

Are Carp day time feeders or can you target them during the night as well?

In my experience they're best fished for at dawn and dusk. In the UK carp fishing is a religion and blokes will camp for 2 or 3 days so I guess they must feed at night too.

sounds pretty fun I live about 2mins from lake gillawana might go give it a crack one weekend for a laugh spose I can allways give em to mates who have cats or something as Iv heard theyv got a pretty muddy taste and quite bony plus I wouldnt eat a bream from lake gillawana if there where any there haha though on an interesting side note my uncle once told me a story about a couple of russian blokes he knew who used to go out and catch them take them home and put them in an inflatable kiddie pool with good filtration and feed them on cat kibble (the dry biscuits) for a few weeks and they then tasted pretty good

Yeh, I remember as a kid going to Centenial Park and feeding the ducks, i remember the size of the fish i used to see in the water (Carp) they were HUGE. But ive also been under the impression you cant fish it...

As for eating Carp, im not sure how good an idea it is. Even if it is clean, i have also heard that it has a muddy taste, but it might be a treat for my dog?

I dunno about your pooch mate I reckon most of the waters in the western sydney area are to polluted youd probably give him a bad case of the runs at best, hit us up in a pm if you wanna go for a carp fish next weekend or something gabba Im in the area n like I said 2mins from lake gillawana might have a decent spot to try there to, just got to get the location off a mate who saw a bloke pulling em in when he was riding his bike through there

The good thing about carp in Sydney's south west is that they are present in almost every freshwater and sometimes brackish waterway. I fish for them maybe 2-3 times per year and find them challenging, especially in the clearer and more hard to reach sections of the Nepean and Georges River. In these areas there are usually not that many carp as compared to others that are nore accessible and fished, and light line, good rigging and bait, with a quiet approach is often needed to catch them. If the water is clear and clean, with heaps of aquatic vegitation and a sandy botton, these fish are worth a try to eat. Simply, lightly poach small boneless pieces in a mussel or cockle broth with fresh garlic, ginder and corriander. I have served it to friends with estuary perch, flathead and blackfish done the same way, and many have chosen carp as the preferred fish. The biggest fresh scales on very large carp - fried with a coating of egg, rice flour, salt and pepper, make an incredible tasty chip. I will rarely kill a carp - preferring to let them go. In Sydney south west these fish habitat areas not many other species can. Especially one which gives anglers a bit of sporting fun. In fact, I have caught bass and jew in areas which carp were present. The good thing about legislation in NSW regarding this fish is that anglers have a choice. If they are informed about both sides of the for and against argument, then I certainly have no problems with whatever choice is made.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, i am new to these forums, so apologies if this is not the right section to post in. I have done some reading on this forum and was reading various threads on where to find Carp in Sydney. I have heard that Chipping Norton has some lakes that might have a bit of Carp in them, and that Cabramatta Creek has/had some (the person who suggested Cabramatta Creek, said they checked it five years ago, so things may have changed since). So anyway, my question is, does anyone know of any areas in the South-West of Sydney that I may be able to fish for some Carp?

I have heard that Carp are a decent fish to catch, they will put up a bit of a fight, which is all I am looking for, and that they are plentiful, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some?

Although I have been fishing since I was a kid, I consider myself "new" and a "beginner", so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Gabba, can't help you with locations in Sydney but seems you've got plenty of location advice to go on with. I can say that carp, of which there are numerous types, are good fun and do put up a reasonable fight. I can tell you that various baits work well and it's fairly easy to get a school to hang around. Worms, maggots and freshwater shrimp are great live baits. Easiest and best is bread. I've used plain white, wholemeal and multigrain and all work well. Get 2 pcs of bread, wet 1 of them and blend between the fingers with the dry piece. This makes a dough that stays on the hook for a while. Carp are top and bottom feeders so i either use a float with a few split shot or a light sinker to hold the bottom. I prefer a larger hook with a wide gape and this can be covered easily with the bread dough.Carp have large rubbery mouths and hooks need to be sharp. Make sure you have a gaff or decent landing net as a large carp will be hard to drag out of the water. Good luck.

right smack bang in the middle of cecil hills (about 10-15minutes from smithfield) theres 2 ponds one massive one small. hit the smaller one throw bread in until u see them start eating off the surface then simply throw one in with a hook in it, key is to make sure it floats. cant go wrong not uncommon to catch 20 in a couple of hours, dont know how your going to go about disposing of them u might give quite a fright to all the mums and kids who laugh at u fishing because " theres no fish here" behold 5kg carp

Coming from the Murray-Darling district, these pests have always become fertilizer and never released.

However, before you go sticking them in your garden, here's an interesting alternative. A couple of local fishos have found salted carp fillets to be their #1 bait for some very big snapper. These blokes head inland for a week, catch kill and fillet these mongrel pests and convert them into 'baked snapper'. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

Anyone got them on lure?

Haha yeah first time i did was a fluke, i'd left my floating lures out on the water then was surprised to see my rod being dragged in. Happened 2 or 3 times, i landed all 3 and they were up to 65cm. I've also caught them on softplastics while fishing for cod, yellowbelly, redfin. And they've actually eaten the lures, quite a surprise. Carp on lures doesn't happen all that much though,

Good Luck

G'day I was fishing at Glenbawn Dam last school holidays and whilst jigging a golden coloured blade lure amongst the dead trees I hooked in the mouth a 2 klg carp .I thought it was a monster bass as it pulled pretty hard ,another suprising catch was a catfish of about 1 klg on a deep diving lure trolling near a weed bed ....Cheers ..BOB..

Coming from the Murray-Darling district, these pests have always become fertilizer and never released.

However, before you go sticking them in your garden, here's an interesting alternative. A couple of local fishos have found salted carp fillets to be their #1 bait for some very big snapper. These blokes head inland for a week, catch kill and fillet these mongrel pests and convert them into 'baked snapper'. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

That guy off fishing australia was using carp fillets as bait off the house boat in the clyde river, reckoned it was nice and tough to stay on the hook

right smack bang in the middle of cecil hills (about 10-15minutes from smithfield) theres 2 ponds one massive one small. hit the smaller one throw bread in until u see them start eating off the surface then simply throw one in with a hook in it, key is to make sure it floats. cant go wrong not uncommon to catch 20 in a couple of hours, dont know how your going to go about disposing of them u might give quite a fright to all the mums and kids who laugh at u fishing because " theres no fish here" behold 5kg carp

yeh theres heaps in that little one alright, along with water dragons n red belly death wish serpents in my experience, but seriously whats the difference between a carp, goldfish n koi, they all look the same to me, ive seen heaps of gold fish koi looken carp in that pond and many other ones n creeks, whats the go with this spiecies ????