OMG MY FIRST BASS

PRED-ATOR

G'day Raider's,

Im still smiling as i write this report.

For those of you who dont no, i have been trying to catch a bass since last year, its a fish im yet to tick off my list

I went to nepean river last night straight from work, I parked at the log cabin got changed in the car which was extremely awkward lol got the gear out of the car and headed to the spot.

Got their at around 5:30 and was fishing just next to the rail bridge near the rowing club.

Gear I was using:

Samaki Zecton 2-4kg

daiwa exceller 2500

4lb zulu/fins braid

6lb suffix fluro leader (2metres)

Lures:

Stiffy Popper

Cicada

Some old wooden popper

So i started off with the cicada which i was casting at snags as i was walking up along the bank toward the rowing club and then back toward the stairs.

Done this for half an hour for a donut. I then cast one under a tree and it got hit but no hook up, OMG my heart was pounding becuase i didnt expect it and it was pure awesome.

I try cast there again and my lure gets caught in a snag...EPIC fail.

Luckily this really nice dude comes past in his awesome bass boat wit electric motor and in a joint effort between him self his son and his dog they get my lure free. If your reading this, thanks mate.

Anyway i decide to ring Stewy to see if he can give me any tips.

Stewy who I will now refer to as YODA or Mr Miyagi says, "cast the lure out high so it plops in the water, wait for the ring to disappear then twitch it in a real funny way"

Ok no worries, hang up the phone.

NEXT CAST IN BANG!! THIS LITTLE BASS COMPLETELY RAPED MY LITTLE CICADA AWESOME!!!!!!!

I no its just a small one and a dead servo prawn would of pulled harder but i didnt care, watching that bass smash that lure on the surface then pulling it out from the snags was exhilirating. I now no why fresh water fishing is so dam exciting.

This is my first fresh water fish I have ever caught and now its definately not going to be my last.

I walked down past the weir just to check it out, one of the creeks which when i visited last year was closed off is now flowing and the water was very very warm.

I hope you enjoy this read, words cant express how excited I was and Stewy thanks so much mate i no i would of came home empty handed were it not for your BASStard advice.

I owe you a fish.

Cheers, Stan

post-16847-090631500 1320355572_thumb.jpgpost-16847-013772000 1320355583_thumb.jpgpost-16847-052904900 1320355588_thumb.jpgpost-16847-093002100 1320355593_thumb.jpgpost-16847-033107600 1320355600_thumb.jpgpost-16847-082908100 1320355608_thumb.jpg

P.S dont be too alarmed by my photo's it was not drugs, it was excitement lol

Well done!!! Im sure it wont be the last.

Bass sure are fun on surface lures and sometimes hit when least expected! Excitement plus!

When fishing surface lures I always try to make a big splash with the lure when casting out, and sometimes the weirdest retrieves will be the ones that entice the fish into striking.

Good luck with the next one,

Cheers!

Ahhhhhhh yes Danielsan you have now masterd the BASS CICADA PLOP AND TWITCH now go forth and UPGRADE Stan :yahoo: well done mate and I am glad I could be of assistance.

Cheers Mr Miyagi :074:

Thanks for the comments everyone.

What i also love about it is its close to home.

I live in sydneys west so penrith is like 10 minute drive for me.

So its cheap and addictive : )

Does anyone know if they bite at night? im thinking of throwing surface lures at night also.

Cheers, Stan

Good read.

Mate... you need a little kayak living in St Clair, you're so close to the Nepean. Sneaky arvo sessions after work in summer is what lifes all about. Be warned, you're gonna blow an excitement fuse when a 40+cm Bass smashes ya. BANG ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Keep plugging away mate.

P.S. The surface can come alive after dark.

Mick

Edited by iMick

• 4 weeks later...

great stuff man lets see if we can up grade it next week just got back from a quicky got about 10 best 340 all off surface

should be good next week lookn 4ward to it

Great report mate, had me in stitches at the photo's.

Goodluck on getting amongst a few bigger fish!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I gnashed my teeth on the same fish in the same spot many many moons ago. I grew up next to the river in Emu Plains. I would go down there after school sometimes and soak baits of bread and corn for mullet and carp and when I started to get into it a bit more I did the same thing you are doing now, flicking cicadas on the surface. It bought back many memories, especially the racing heart and big smiles on the surface hook up. Thanks for that. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...