Connecting Mainline to Leader

2meters of double with a big clip on the end useing a catspaw and then a long leader with the lure

was useing wind-ons but had one too many let go on us and when on a fish it is not a good feeling to see gear fail :ranting2:

if i could be bothered to do my own wind-ons maybe i could trust them again but store bought ones you just never know no matter the brand

Hey all,

Just wondering how does everyone connect their mainline (say 24kg) to your leader when trolling lures for marlin and tuna?

Do you prefer a wind on leader or other?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Dan

I don’t use wind on leader these days, there was a period when we gave wind on leaders a go for two Game seasons coming down to the decision in the end that it did just not benefit our style of fishing.

• In particular when slow trolling baits the wind on I feel would apply an added resistance on the bait and restrict its overall effectiveness

• The same with regards to pulling lures I felt the lures just didn’t seem to want to pop and fizz enticingly like there should off

• Skip Baits however the complete opposite no doubt due in the wind on leader being virtually totally pulled out of the water by the rigger.

But the one particular thing that I felt a wind on leader helps in contributing to is this following scenario which happened to me back then more times than I wish to remember.

Upon coming across a good fish generally in this instance a blue........ in the early stage and being the first initial run the decks have just been cleared and the fish is tearing across the ocean heading for the horizon in a big arcing run the type where the angler is pointing the rod in the direction of the exiting line but the fish however is jumping behind his back.

As the angler is frantically trying to recover the belly in the line the fish then suddenly changes direction and starts to grey hound back on its self heading straight back at the boat.

I am sure there are those out there with the mathematical prowess to be able to calculate the forces involved but put simply with no more line coming off the reel and in status quo the added drag pressure being created then by the belly in the line as it is pulled through the water is enormous...... they say line will give at its weakest point and in most cases for me this generally applied at the connection to the wind on

The above is just my experience learnt the hard way mainly by loosing fish I realise not everyone will agree with the above rational as I said just my personal opinion hope it helps

Cheers Warnie

Daniel , Double to a swivel is an easy way, with the wind on leaders you will get more control on the fish as you can wind the line straight on the reel. It is a personal preference, i have met charter skippers that prefer wind ons as its better for an inexperienced angler. Dont think wind on leaders are hard to make your own. I make all mine and never had one fail after 5 yrs. Fishing tackle is easy to make after some practice. Good luck with new Season

:1fishing1:

post-20076-060380600 1321063099_thumb.jpg

Daniel , Double to a swivel is an easy way, with the wind on leaders you will get more control on the fish as you can wind the line straight on the reel. It is a personal preference, i have met charter skippers that prefer wind ons as its better for an inexperienced angler. Dont think wind on leaders are hard to make your own. I make all mine and never had one fail after 5 yrs. Fishing tackle is easy to make after some practice. Good luck with new Season

:1fishing1:

you hit the nail on the head there troy you make your own and have not them let go on you yet

i would bet that your wind-ons are made a hell lot better than the average joe buys off the shelf and it are these ones that have let people down and why many don't use the wind-ons

makeing your self is the only way i will go for a wind-on now days