Blackfish Assistance Please.

kilp

Hi all

Amongst other fishing, Blackfishing has always been a big desire of mine, the only problem is I stink at it. This is now my fourth trip without any success. I think my son is starting to realize that dad for all his efforts hasn't got any idea...lol

Anyway, if anyone could be so nice as to help me out, I would really appreciate it, I live in Sydney's Hills district, but am willing to travel. Its amazing, when you put so much effort in and zilch, then you look at the old boys next to you pulling them in like nothing.

Thanks all

Kilp

Hi all

Amongst other fishing, Blackfishing has always been a big desire of mine, the only problem is I stink at it. This is now my fourth trip without any success. I think my son is starting to realize that dad for all his efforts hasn't got any idea...lol

Anyway, if anyone could be so nice as to help me out, I would really appreciate it, I live in Sydney's Hills district, but am willing to travel. Its amazing, when you put so much effort in and zilch, then you look at the old boys next to you pulling them in like nothing.

Thanks all

Kilp

Hi Kilp,

I remember my frustrations trying to catch luderick off the rocks near Manly back around the early 1970's. After months of trying my first fish was a real achievement that I can recall as though it was yesterday. It's a great way to chase a feed and they're pretty reliable. So, don't give up.

There's lots of really practical advice and information here: http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/how-to-catch-blackfish.php and also here: http://www.fishraider.com.au/fishing-articles/blackfish-basics.php

Where are you fishing? Inside/rocks/beach, shorebased or boat/kayak?

My experience is all land based and mostly of the rocks/beach on Sydney's north and around Tuggerah Lakes.

Let me know where you are and if I have any suggestions I'll pass them on. In the meantime, check out the two Raider articles.

Good fishing.

KB

Let me know where you are trying to fish and I will do my best to help.

Where is important, especially at this time of year when they are a bit quieter.

What bait is important, depends on where you are fishing.

Most important is how you are setting up your float and rig generally.

Matt

Estuary wise the yhave gone really quiet and its the first time in years I have seen a lack of them at this time of the year usually the lower harbour is teeming and theres a few around Balmain since early September they have been hard, Botany Bay is holding a few which has been a godsend! Off the rocks is a nother thing they are thick of most ledges.

Theres a few boyus here who will help out with getting your first fish a good close spot for you is Pittwater and Narrabeen Lake (is it open yet folks)

Any way best of luck getting into them.

Thanks for the advisw fellas

Koaloboi - I was fishing Little bay , its behind some sort of medical clinic and golf course, on the right hand side of the rocks. There were two guys with very similar setups as mine, the only difference is that they were pulling them in, I wasn't , not matter how hard I tried to adjust. I tried to ask them for a few pointers, they were friendly enough, unfortunately their English was poor.

luderick -angler - I would love to know places in pittwater or Hawkesbury as I live in the hills district as its easier to make to trip, also I have a boat.

I would love to learn of places in the northern beaches to do my black fishing.

Cheers

Kilp

Koaloboi - I was fishing Little bay , its behind some sort of medical clinic and golf course, on the right hand side of the rocks. There were two guys with very similar setups as mine, the only difference is that they were pulling them in, I wasn't , not matter how hard I tried to adjust. I tried to ask them for a few pointers, they were friendly enough, unfortunately their English was poor.

luderick -angler - I would love to know places in pittwater or Hawkesbury as I live in the hills district as its easier to make to trip, also I have a boat.

Cheers

Kilp

So, were you getting downs or not ?

Cheers

Kilp

Ah my old haunt or one of where abouts a Little Bay were you att he Gutter (a big island wit hloads of metal spikes) or the Trap (two fingers each with a metal spike) They are not the easiest of spots to fish1 hopefully i ca nbe out rockhopping again soon! but in the meantime I will send you a PM wit hsome spots in the lower harbour and Pittwater middle Harbour if you have a boat you have the lower harbour covered in loads of spots and I can point you to acouple of real god ones that will produce all types of species! I'll PM you and if you want we can have a chat and suss out your technique and gear Matt will also beable to help here!

Cheers

So, were you getting downs or not ?

Hi Macman

No matey I didnt get any downs, the only time I did was when I got snagged, so I made the leader smaller. I copied to the best of my ability the setup of the other people who were successful in catching them, but still no luck.

5 lb line, float, small slit shot sinkers, small size 8 , 10 hook, weed , was from little bay itself.

a bit frustrating on the day.....

Ah my old haunt or one of where abouts a Little Bay were you att he Gutter (a big island wit hloads of metal spikes) or the Trap (two fingers each with a metal spike) They are not the easiest of spots to fish1 hopefully i ca nbe out rockhopping again soon! but in the meantime I will send you a PM wit hsome spots in the lower harbour and Pittwater middle Harbour if you have a boat you have the lower harbour covered in loads of spots and I can point you to acouple of real god ones that will produce all types of species! I'll PM you and if you want we can have a chat and suss out your technique and gear Matt will also beable to help here!

Cheers

Hi Luderick - angler

The spot I went to, in little bay was on the right hand side as your looking towards the open sea, walked up till there was a u shaped cut in where the waves would hit, thats the best way I can describe it matey. If you could please pm me some spots in the pitty or the harbour it would be very much appreciated, however I think I also need to know the right setup and technique. My boat is avaiable if you ever has some spare time to mentor an eager fisho..... :1welcomeani:

Look forward to hearing back from you

cheers

Kilp

Hi Luderick - angler

The spot I went to, in little bay was on the right hand side as your looking towards the open sea, walked up till there was a u shaped cut in where the waves would hit, thats the best way I can describe it matey. If you could please pm me some spots in the pitty or the harbour it would be very much appreciated, however I think I also need to know the right setup and technique. My boat is avaiable if you ever has some spare time to mentor an eager fisho..... :1welcomeani:

Look forward to hearing back from you

cheers

Kilp

PM sent

Cheers

Royce

G'day Kilp,

If you weren't getting any bites, then most likely your bait presentation wasn't quite right, or you weren't fishing at the right depth, these are the bits that really make the difference at the start. If you are at the right depth with a decent presntation of the bait on the hook, you may at least get some half downs or lose some baits, even if you don't have the float set up correctly. It really helps to go with someone that can show you where you are going wrong. At least you are giving yourself a chance fishing in a spot where other people were catching blackfish.

Matt

hi Kilp,

looks like you have been sorted out by these 2 blacky masters already..:1punk:

what matt said is prob on the money i recon..

prob wrong depth as they are gen not shy off the stones and would think bait loss or missed downs at the least..

pretty much this time of yr off the stones they are very prolific imo and last yr sept/nov and into dec i know they were polled in big numbers by a few i talk to off local ledges..

i havnt fished the stones for way too long and was going to hit em hard on local ledge this spring/summer but plans changed due to bub arriving soon... so i cant help with trip unfortunately for a while...

give me a pm reminder in a couple days :ninja: as i may have something of interest for ya....

a few weeks ago the big schools in pitty thinned right out but if ya spend the time you should get something if you persist...

best to go with someone and learn what they do.. as Royce mentioned when quiet like this you really have to work for them so ask why the fisho is doing certain things like depth/bait presentation/drifts etc..

when fishing the stones as always be careful.. eastern suburbs has alot of great spots and a couple that can be tricky in certain conditions....

dont play follow the leader thinking ill be right cause he is there 2... i watched a guy fish a spot last yr that was down right stupid and some other guys came with gear,i told them not safe and couple minutes later they walked back up and moved on...

luckily they fiddled for long enough for big set to roll over ledge and not be near it.... they thanked me on way out,other guy just fished on and luckily didnt go in...

im only saying this as a reminder to be safe as the chopper for my local ledges lands across the road in park during rescues and is too frequent an occurrence...

good luck.. once you start catching a couple it will all fall into place as they are not as difficult a fish to catch as some think... just very frustrating at times....

hope this helps... cheers,,,,steve....

I have to say i've never hooked a blackfish by myself but my wife got a lot. the funny thing is we always fish side by side and i made all rigs for her. to us i think the difference is patience. when you find out the tricks from other gurus just give it more patience and berly up. time and tide are also very important too.

good luck and tight lines! :thumbup: