Beach fishing spots

snjlang

Can anyone recommend some good beachfishing spots ( i am just starting out)

Tried stanwell park yesterday morning from sunrise to high tide, couple of good hits but no luck,

Was using live beach worms, fresh pippies & pilchards

any suggestions would be appreciated,

snjlang

I think Beach fishing is a pain (sand everywhere, big swells) but I know alot of people who love it.

If you are a beginner you can try some breakwalls with the same stuff you are using i think it's alot easier for a beginner to learn how to fish and catch something.

Hi mate,

On the northern beaches try Long Reef to Dee why or if you can deal with a crowd north narrabeen. I like the pole sticking out of the sand on the south side of Dee why lagoon. Just look for a gutter in that area. I caught a big Jew there a few years ago. Most times I fished there I got something. If the salmon are on the bite you can catch some nice sized sharks as well. Been totally smoked there a few times by big sharks.

Cheers

Stanwell park is one of the best spots. Try fishing in the afternoon near the surf club. We usually catch salmon tailor flathead bream using pilchards. My mate caught a 18kg jewfish on pilchard last month. Just gonna keep trying mate. Wanda Garie Newport whale are excellent spots too.

Hi Steamers beach in Jervis Bay is an excellent fishing spot. It is approx 2.5 hrs south from sydney, but is worth the trip. You have to go through a trail about 2km long but trust me it is worth the walk, one of the best in NSW. If you need to know anything else just PM me.

The spot may not be the problem.

Beaches really are like a marine desert without some fundamental knowledge. Here is my two bobs worth. I might be preaching to the converted but since you say you are new, maybe not.

1. Learn to "Read" the beach. The fish are concentrated in certain areas such as deep holes and gutters and the sloping edges of sand banks. Try to get a good look at the beach from a head land to see where the best spots are.

2. Never wade in and cast for the horizon. The fish are often in close, feeding on morsels stirred up by the waves and surge close in. You can often spot fish like whiting cruising up and down just past where the shore break is.

3. Fish with the lightest line possible. I have never caught fish like bream, whiting or dart when using the classic aussie "tailor" beach fishing rod. It wasn't until I bought a snyder mag bream and a PC MT 4144 and used 4 or even 3kg line that I started catching these fish which I always assumed were "fished out".

Hope this helps.

Good fishing.

Reeltired.