Googong Dam

Hodgey

G'day Raiders,

Hoping someone out there can provide some information about Googong. I believe you require a special permit to fish it and that it is an electric motor dam only? Any specifics regarding permits, motors etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hodgey

Guest twitchie

Hi Hodgey,

first you only need a NSW fishing licence .

It is an electric motor lake only you will need to totally wrap your fuelled motor or remove it .

I don;t believe you need a permit to fish the lake at all i have fished it a lot of the years never been asked for a permit .

if you are looking for someone to fish it with i have a 385 quintrex with an electric and i am available most days.I am not a very good fresh water cod /yellow belly fisho

there have been some nice fish coming from the lake of late .and a s--- load of large redfin

Twitchie is all over it electrics only no permit as far as I know but on the reports theres plenty of natives coming out of there at the moment along with the usual redfin, the fly guys are apparently doing well. There still is the odd big brown trout lurking in there but its no longer stocked. Good luck

I wouldn't worry about the permit if you can remove your fuel line and tank,if no them probably a good idea to get one. Googongs also closed if it's total fire ban so if Plan B is to fish one of the other Canberra Lakes then you need a permit and first time safety inspection. The river upstream of LBG you need to book as well so as not to disturb the skiers.

Hodgey, plenty of people fish the dam from the bank. Not sure what it would be like now the dam is full, just start at the boat ramp and keep walking.

If your after cod the Bidgee through the ACT can fish well at times.

Cheers, Dean

What is the go with sealing up your engine to just use an elecy? Is it just the fuel line I will need to seal or the whole engine?

Cheers

The whole engine in glad wrap as no fuel or oil can get into the water supply.

They are very strict on this particular waterway.

Regards Stewy

Used to be some lovely Brown Trout in Googong, no longer though. Last time I fished there (bank) I got some nice Yellowbelly on TN50s, that was a few years back though and haven't been back since.

Some of the other Canberra lakes are worth a look though, Gunghalin and Yerribi have good reputations for Yella's and Cod and Ginninderra used to be good (haven't heard much about it recently). All bank stuff though, no boats.

Cheers

Windy

Used to be some lovely Brown Trout in Googong, no longer though. Last time I fished there (bank) I got some nice Yellowbelly on TN50s, that was a few years back though and haven't been back since.

Some of the other Canberra lakes are worth a look though, Gunghalin and Yerribi have good reputations for Yella's and Cod and Ginninderra used to be good (haven't heard much about it recently). All bank stuff though, no boats.

Cheers

Windy

Thanks Windy. I have heard many good reports about the Canberra lakes and as it is only 2 hours from my place I'm happy to travel for a look. Fished the Murray for 20 years from the bank so I am happy to walk for my fish as well. :thumbup:

Cheers

Hodgey

Guest twitchie(U-Make-Em )

Hi Hodgey

I was out there today for a look the water looks great it was very windy most of the boats were blown off the water . I have been talking with some of those who fish it regularly they have been getting some natives as well as red fin

Hi Hodgey

I was out there today for a look the water looks great it was very windy most of the boats were blown off the water . I have been talking with some of those who fish it regularly they have been getting some natives as well as red fin

Cya in the morning Pete :thumbup:

The whole engine in glad wrap as no fuel or oil can get into the water supply.

They are very strict on this particular waterway.

Regards Stewy

Stewy,

Do you know of a link were this criteria is written down? I've had a quick look with no success.

Cheers

Stewy,

Do you know of a link were this criteria is written down? I've had a quick look with no success.

Cheers

I will contact the ranger at Googong tomorrow and have left a message for Dave to call me.

Cheers Stewy

Hi All

A Googong report I had some guys call in today to buy some spinnerbaits and some other bits they had fished Googong a few days ago and were going out again tomorrow to try there hand there last trip landed them four nice yellos up to 62 they were saying that the natives are a little quiet.

Well at least you made an effort to do something Dean and hopefully you will add your own reports for us one day.

Admin

Hi Admin and or stewy,

sorry mate, not a huge forum type due to the crap that goes on some of them, being bitchnet :thumbdown:

I live in Yarrawonga on the Murray and mostly chase the cod around. the last 2 seasons have been tough here since the floods. we think there may be sooo much food in the water the cod are lazy and not crunching anything that swims near them as it has been for some time.

We went to a secret back lagoon below the wier today and cast up some crackin yella's and kept some real nice reddies which was a nice surprise. This lagoon is one you would drive by everyday all day, it just looks like nothing would be in there, we tried it during cod opening to escape the crowds which are here for the Cod Classic. To our surprise We landed some nice yella's, i had a yella follow me to the boat which would easily have been over 70 cm, it had about 5 inches of it's back out of the water and was right beside the boat, we both looked at each other and said.........holy crap !!!! anyway i'm ranting and will try and contribute with some pics. i don't normally take many pics as i don't really like to post pics but i'll start.

oh and thanks for the link for the permit, i'll send it off myself, not sure how i'll go as it's a big rig so fingers crossed :thumbup:

cheers and beers

Deano

Hi all

Another report from Googong this week of two fishos names i am not sure of. They landed 6 Cod from 83 to 113 all on lures.