FC vs leader material

clemsy

Hi raiders,

I was wandering if it is better to use fluorocarbon as leader material or specifically use FC leader? ATM I use vanish transition and after each trip the vanish seems to have too much memory with some hicks in the line. I don't fish big fish, just bream and flathead.

I currently use Vanish Transition, its not bad, haven't had any problems with it. I've had a look at the Sunline, especially the Rock leader, but it is so expensive for just 100m. While I can get the VT for less and more line. Is it really worth it to upgrade to higher quality lines for leaders?

As far as I know there is a difference between FC leader and FC line

The FC leader has a harder outside shell for abrasion resistance and the FC line has a softer outside shell for casting ability Some of the cheaper FCs are somewhere inbetween

I use sunline FC Rock for leader and sunline FC sniper for some spinning with HBs

For flatties when you used to use 20lb mono for trace to stop bite throughs you can now drop down to a 12lb FC leader because of the increased abrasion resistance

Edited by The Iceman

Oh okay, they seem pretty hefty, like $20+ for 100m or less. Is it still viable to use straight through FC as a leader? From my short experience with VT, I haven't had much problems in terms of abrasivness.

Mate I used to use vanish for the same reasons as you, cheap more line etc. But I found that if I left it on the rod after a fishing trip it had a memory in it and usually turned a slight yellow colour. I use nothing but sunline FC rock now for all my fishing with leader sizes under 20lb.

When you think about how much line you actually use each time it ain't that expensive. Plus now I don't have to change the leader between fishing trips, (unless it's stuffed etc). I can get a good few trips out of one length of leader with maybe only a knot retie at both ends just to be safe.

Plus it seems thinner for it's stated size.

Cheers

Oh okay, they seem pretty hefty, like $20+ for 100m or less. Is it still viable to use straight through FC as a leader? From my short experience with VT, I haven't had much problems in terms of abrasivness.

Shouldnt be a problem We dont use leaders when fishing straight through FC

We do change our spools of FC every season as it seems to deteriate in time so if you use a 200m spool for leader you will find the leader breaking easily once you get through a 100m or so Ive had that experience and was backed up by Scotty Towner who had the same problem

Ah I see, thanks!

Also, just out of curiousity, is there a specific reason why people don't like Berkley Vanish Transition? I have find it to be good, haven't had any problems, but then again I haven't used any other FCs.

Ah I see, thanks!

Also, just out of curiousity, is there a specific reason why people don't like Berkley Vanish Transition? I have find it to be good, haven't had any problems, but then again I haven't used any other FCs.

Ive never used it so cant comment

Ive only used the vanish not the transition and wont use the vanish for leader again

Berkley does make a good FC leader called Trilene Ice