Shark Bait

Broken bay....Where do open waters start.

Hi all.

I've got a 445 half cab with safety equip set up for closed waters. I like to fish between pittwater and patonga, and wondering if this section of broken bay is considered to be "open waters".

So, in short, what should I consider to be the "Open Waters" boundary in Broken Bay? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Rick.

• Thanks 1

Answer = its complicated!

There is a line from Barrenjoey lighthouse directly across to Box head. Inside that line is 'limited open waters'. This means that In smooth conditions (wave height under .5m crest to trough), its enclosed waters and you are ok.

If wave heights are larger, then its open waters once you cross another line that runs from Barrenjoey across to West head.

Fryboy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My reply assumed you were coming up Pittwater towards Broken Bay.

If you are coming from Hawkesbury direction, then the limited open waters starts at a line from Flint and Steel across to Juno point.

I'm not sure (and its not clear on the maps) where it starts coming from Brisbane Waters.

Fryboy

• Thanks 1

Thank you both very much.

So if I'm not mistaken, with the info you have both given me, if I travel around Juno to fish at Patonga and the swell is larger than half a meter (which it normally is), I need to set up the safety gear in my boat for "Open Waters".

Do we all agree?

Edited by Shark Bait
  • Thanks 1

So if I'm not mistaken, with the info you have both given me, if I travel around Juno to fish at Patonga and the swell is larger than half a meter (which if normally is), I need to set up the safety gear in my boat for "Open Waters".

Do we all agree?

I thought it was 2nm from the coast/port? If thats the case then 2nm from Barranjoey or Juno Pt/F&S would be the area for closed water safety equipment. I'm not set up for open water safety (EPIRB and VHF radio etc) and I've been inspected at Lion Island by water police and passed OK. The swell was definitely over .5m.

• Thanks 1

Guest Aussie007

So if I'm not mistaken, with the info you have both given me, if I travel around Juno to fish at Patonga and the swell is larger than half a meter (which if normally is), I need to set up the safety gear in my boat for "Open Waters".

Do we all agree?

shoot an email off to maritime on the above link someone will reply quickly with an answer ive asked a question before about a no wash zone and got a reply the same day

I had a 4.1 I was told by maritime the Open waters begins once you pass Box Head and Barrenjoey. So fishing in Pittwater and crossing through, you will be fine.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again all. I'll shoot an email off when I get a minute Gazza, and I'll get back to you all with their answer.

Cheers,

Rick.

• Thanks 1

@openhooks

The 2nm limit is another limit again. This relates to whether you need to carry an EPIRB and marine radio. If you are more than 2nm offshore - you are in open waters with all the open water safety requirements, plus you need to carry those two items.

@locodave

On the maritime maps, its shown to be 'limited open waters' inside the Barrenjoey-Box Head line. There is a definition of that which is as described earlier. Interesting that the Maritime guys told you that, I guess they probably dont even police this 'limited open waters' thing - unless theyre in a bad mood!

@sharkbait

yep, that would be my read on it. Let us know what you hear from maritime...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to thank all the Raider who particpated in this discussion. I will add my 2 cents with a PDF of the latest safety requirments as of 13.02.2019 for boating on "Open waters".  An excerpt from The Roads and Maritime Boating Handbook december 2017. Happy and safe boating to all.

Regards PK 

SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS OPEN WATERS.pdf

Edited by P_Konrad
Spelling mistake and added comment
  • Like 1

Not many people seem to know about that limited open water in broken bay.

Its on the map that I have. Not an issue in my boat,but I can understand that a smaller boater

wouldn't want to unknowingly be caught out.   

• Thanks 1

Not many people seem to know about that limited open water in broken bay.

Its on the map that I have. Not an issue in my boat,but I can understand that a smaller boater

wouldn't want to unknowingly be caught out. 

Thanks Antonywardie, I guess I would go on glassy conditions, when that happens some times. Flint and Steel, Juno would be my limit. From Brooklyn thru to Pittwater.

Cheers and hope you catch some mate. 👍

PK

• Thanks 1

If you ever want to pop offshore for some flathead, let me know. Happy to take you one day

Good luck to you too!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

If you ever want to pop offshore for some flathead, let me know. Happy to take you one day

Good luck to you too!

Champion, thank's for the offer mate. 👍

• Like 1