Broken bay....Where do open waters start.

Shark Bait

Hi all.

I've got a 445 half cab with safety equip set up for closed waters. I like to fish between pittwater and patonga, and wondering if this section of broken bay is considered to be "open waters".

So, in short, what should I consider to be the "Open Waters" boundary in Broken Bay? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Rick.

Answer = its complicated!

There is a line from Barrenjoey lighthouse directly across to Box head. Inside that line is 'limited open waters'. This means that In smooth conditions (wave height under .5m crest to trough), its enclosed waters and you are ok.

If wave heights are larger, then its open waters once you cross another line that runs from Barrenjoey across to West head.

Fryboy

• Like 1

My reply assumed you were coming up Pittwater towards Broken Bay.

If you are coming from Hawkesbury direction, then the limited open waters starts at a line from Flint and Steel across to Juno point.

I'm not sure (and its not clear on the maps) where it starts coming from Brisbane Waters.

Fryboy

Thank you both very much.

So if I'm not mistaken, with the info you have both given me, if I travel around Juno to fish at Patonga and the swell is larger than half a meter (which it normally is), I need to set up the safety gear in my boat for "Open Waters".

Do we all agree?

Edited by Shark Bait

So if I'm not mistaken, with the info you have both given me, if I travel around Juno to fish at Patonga and the swell is larger than half a meter (which if normally is), I need to set up the safety gear in my boat for "Open Waters".

Do we all agree?

I thought it was 2nm from the coast/port? If thats the case then 2nm from Barranjoey or Juno Pt/F&S would be the area for closed water safety equipment. I'm not set up for open water safety (EPIRB and VHF radio etc) and I've been inspected at Lion Island by water police and passed OK. The swell was definitely over .5m.

Guest Aussie007

So if I'm not mistaken, with the info you have both given me, if I travel around Juno to fish at Patonga and the swell is larger than half a meter (which if normally is), I need to set up the safety gear in my boat for "Open Waters".

Do we all agree?

shoot an email off to maritime on the above link someone will reply quickly with an answer ive asked a question before about a no wash zone and got a reply the same day

@openhooks

The 2nm limit is another limit again. This relates to whether you need to carry an EPIRB and marine radio. If you are more than 2nm offshore - you are in open waters with all the open water safety requirements, plus you need to carry those two items.

@locodave

On the maritime maps, its shown to be 'limited open waters' inside the Barrenjoey-Box Head line. There is a definition of that which is as described earlier. Interesting that the Maritime guys told you that, I guess they probably dont even police this 'limited open waters' thing - unless theyre in a bad mood!

@sharkbait

yep, that would be my read on it. Let us know what you hear from maritime...

• Like 2

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/7/2011 at 4:38 PM, fryboy said:

I'm not sure (and its not clear on the maps) where it starts coming from

When you can't see the origin of the demarcation lines you often have to get the adjoining map that overlaps on that map location.

All the maps are here:

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/search-results.html?q=open+water+map#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=open water map&gsc.page=1

So for the hawkesbury here's :

lower hawkesbury to patonga

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/usingwaterways/maps/boating-maps/9b-lower-hawkesbury-berowra-patonga-mooney.pdf

brisbane water terrigal

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/usingwaterways/maps/boating-maps/8b-brisbane-broken-terrigal.pdf

pittwater

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/maritime/usingwaterways/maps/boating-maps/9a-pittwater.pdf

Cheers 

Zoran

Maritime pulled me over a couple weeks ago on my way back from the flathead grounds. I was in open water.

He was a very nice bloke and seemed to be happy that I was wearing a life jacket and I could answer all of his questions about when everything expired. I'd recently found a sticker where you could write on the dates that everything expires and it was beside my two EPIRBS that he could see.

I also showed him that my inflatable life-jacket worked as I was wearing it earlier and the pull tag got stuck in in my rod holder, I didn't notice and then I set it off! I then swapped jackets for the trip back.

I've bought a new cylinder and a new life jacket. Another positive experience for me with Maritime.

• Like 3

hi guys i would first like to say 95% of bso's i meet are great blokes and have a job to do and do it well .from closed water to open off memory to the 2 nm mark a builge pump, v sheet ,pdf 1  27meg  or vhf must be carried  over 2nm + epirb .mate what we say in our fishing club is if you go out of the river, estuary just get the lot (open water safety requiments) as you will really regret it if out there and in trouble one day regards dunc333

He was a very nice bloke and seemed to be happy that I was wearing a life jacket and I could answer all of his questions about when everything expired. I'd recently found a sticker where you could write on the dates that everything expires and it was beside my two EPIRBS that he could see.

Where do you get this sticker, I think this is great

2 hours ago, fredflathead said:

Where do you get this sticker, I think this is great

I’ve got them. I either got them at the 3 letter place where you have effing fun or from Maritime.