Little help?

joel.pringle

Howdy guys and gals

As a new member, thank you to the mods and community for such a great site.

Having recently (at 30) rekindled an interest in fishing, Fishraider has been an eye-opener to how much I have to learn. Targeting species? For someone who blindly threw a hook and running sinker into estuaries as a teenager, this was a revelation!

Your name: Joel

Your Location: Camperdown

Fishing technique: Anything land-based around Sydney Harbour

Availability: Weekends / some weekday afternoons, evenings

Preferred location: Within striking distance of Inner West / Eastern 'burbs.

Provide your own gear? Yes (basic)

Provide your own boat? No

I want to learn enough to enjoy the occasional session close to home, catch the odd dinner, etc. I would love to know how to target some good plate fish (but secretly desire to work up to a land-based kingfish), and have had a couple of unproductive squid sessions around Birchgrove. My fishing interest really stems from a desire to get better at gathering/harvesting/cooking my own food (Community gardening: check. Fresh caught fish: working on it. Chooks: no room in the apartment).

In return to the Fishraider community, I'd be happy to put up some articles or posts from a beginner's perspective, on the basics and what I learn. I have some experience writing, and it could be a handy resource for other beginners?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

No replies yet, so I'll add some info.

I was up at the Central Coast over xmas, so had quite a few unsuccessful morning and evening sessions from the south end of Pearl Beach (zilch) and from Patonga Creek (an undersized flathead and a small leatherjacket). This would have been for 15 hours fishing all up.

I had a recent go at squid from Birchgrove ferry wharf, but nothing going. Planning to hit La pa and Yarra Bay some time this week (I work in the area).

Basically I'd like a confidence booster of bringing something home to eat. Curious about chasing Blackfish, but even keen to hit Bream or flatheads. Especially keen on landing some squid for the bbq.

I'm can reach anywhere within scooter-riding distance from Camperdown (read La Pa, the eastern beaches, Harbour, and lower North Shore). There are lots of tips on these forums, but I'd be willing to contribute some beers to someone willing to show me how to put them into action.

Cheers,

Joel

Howdy guys and gals

As a new member, thank you to the mods and community for such a great site.

Having recently (at 30) rekindled an interest in fishing, Fishraider has been an eye-opener to how much I have to learn. Targeting species? For someone who blindly threw a hook and running sinker into estuaries as a teenager, this was a revelation!

Your name: Joel

Your Location: Camperdown

Fishing technique: Anything land-based around Sydney Harbour

Availability: Weekends / some weekday afternoons, evenings

Preferred location: Within striking distance of Inner West / Eastern 'burbs.

Provide your own gear? Yes (basic)

Provide your own boat? No

I want to learn enough to enjoy the occasional session close to home, catch the odd dinner, etc. I would love to know how to target some good plate fish (but secretly desire to work up to a land-based kingfish), and have had a couple of unproductive squid sessions around Birchgrove. My fishing interest really stems from a desire to get better at gathering/harvesting/cooking my own food (Community gardening: check. Fresh caught fish: working on it. Chooks: no room in the apartment).

In return to the Fishraider community, I'd be happy to put up some articles or posts from a beginner's perspective, on the basics and what I learn. I have some experience writing, and it could be a handy resource for other beginners?

Thanks!

sorry for the lack off replys every one is away or traveling home i would think

two tips i could give you are the 3 l's and the foood chain effect

the 3 l's;light line 6lb

light lead[as light as posible

live bait'nippers,blood worms

the food chain effect;berly with minced old bait and bread crumbs in a berly pot,minced is best as your not trying to feed the bigger fish just the bait fish

by starting at the bottom off the food chain[yakkas and poddy mullet] and working your way up to whatever is eating them,a hooked yakka will attract bigger fish looking for an easy feed

so get your berly trail working catch your live bait and set a livey up on a set and forget rod and keep catching bait even if you catch and release as evey yakka caught send a message in vibrations to bigger fish

free spooling unweighted baits down your berly trail will also acount for bread and butter fish and the odd king,kings are suckers for peeled prawns and pilly fillets but the trick is to get them there and in feeding mode

that should get you started cheers gary