Noosa Mangrove Jack's

Cobba12

Well it finally happened!!!!!!

I headed back up home for Christmas with the family and as always I planned on fishing like a mad man the whole time I was there. I was able to fish as much as I liked as my other half is in NZ with her family :thumbup:

I suppose I should mention the place I call home is Noosa Heads up in QLD and its a top place. My family have a house on the water and we have boats to play with. The best thing is that if I do not wish to use the big comfort boat then I can call on my mates 14ft glass dory with a 30 yammy. I have basses covered it's safe to say. No offshore fishing this time due to the massive swell that hit. All my boards were left in Sydney :ranting2:

So anyway.......

I love Jack fishing, always have and always will and I often get myself on to quite a few good fish each time im up this way. This time however I had fished 5 days and nights for one Jack around 30cm and it was killing me. I dont mind not catching fish when im new to an area or new to a specie but I know the Noosa river and I know where to fish, when and on what tide and moon and I was just not getting any joy at all. That is until last night.

Fished 2 spots for nothing but a shovel nose shark and a few eels and catfish. Then I went to the final spot of the night and trip. I had said to my mate that if this spot didn't yield then we were hitting the barra farm tomorrow. So we hit the spot silently and as we are getting our baits ready we hear gloop, slosh, gloop, slosh and we both got very excited. Trevally smash the surface and Jack's gloop it kind of like a barra boof but different. You should have seen how fast we put our live whiting on (winter). My mates bait hits the water and before he could put it down to get the next rod ready he was smashed and busted off. My bait hits the water and bang im on. Great result 1.5kg Jack in the boat and a very happy man. By this stage the action was hot with every bait getting smashed as soon as it hit the water, we lost a lot of big fish and gear last night. I then hooked the beast and holy crap I struggled to keep it out of the snags, about 5 minutes later I had him out and on the boat. This Jack was big, I mean it wasnt massive big but it was a beast and in perfect condition. It went 58cm as you can see in the photo's and weighed bang on 3kg's. By this stage with the action and results you could have been a jellyfish and had a stiffy.

We continued to get smashed :beersmile: by the fish as well haha. My mate got another about 1.8kg's which topped off a great session, he deserved a good fish as he had fished hard the 4 days before with me. We also got a pretty big bream to end the session. The fishing was hot and I have a heavy head today (we fished all day and until 3:30am and had a beer in one hand and scotch in the other most of the session so struggling today. The we got photos and a video clip for the local fishing report up here and had a great time. Im going back tonight to the spot to get a few more before I fly out at 10am tomorrow. Better late than never though right.

Can anyone please let me know if this is a new FR record please. I would love a Mangrove Jack tag. Also I will be adding this to the fish of the month comp.

Cheers raiders.

post-19417-039272500 1325132802_thumb.jpg

post-19417-040126700 1325132832_thumb.jpg

post-19417-059045700 1325132887_thumb.jpg

post-19417-060023400 1325133093_thumb.jpg

post-19417-066288300 1325133147_thumb.jpg

post-19417-099126800 1325133212_thumb.jpg

post-19417-029200300 1325133234_thumb.jpg

post-19417-005994000 1325133251_thumb.jpg

post-19417-035233200 1325133266_thumb.jpg

post-19417-008313000 1325133288_thumb.jpg

post-19417-008479600 1325134293_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobba12

Nice work on the JACKS :thumbup: there is no raider record for Mangrove Jack on bait ,so submit your application and we will look after the rest.

Regards Admin

Thanks Stewie.

I have submitted it all (correctly i hope)

Off to get some livies and get ready for another night of mayhem on the Jack's

Cobba

Great report mate. I love Noosa, have been going up there to visit my bro-in-law the last 3 years....I still haven't figured out the river system, but each time I go I'm learning more about the area....hanging to do a surf fish off one of the local beaches too.

I went landbased down along the river near hastings st last November and got killed by sandflies! For the next 5 days I looked like I had the measles or mumps lol....lesson learnt about fishing the river after some rain....

Edited by spizza

Great report mate!!! Love my "Jack" fishing as well. They are so good on the "chew' also.. Personally I think they taste better than Barra or dare I say even Fingermark. Hope you get stretched some more

Edited by hotbite

great report Cobba! never landed a jack, but seen some solid specimens taken off the breakwall here in forster... almost certain i've been dragged into the wall and busted off by a few while fishing for jewies. is it best to go hard on them from the get go or maybe even free spool them if they get stuck in cover??

congrats on the records! :thumbup:

Cheers

Tom

great report Cobba! never landed a jack, but seen some solid specimens taken off the breakwall here in forster... almost certain i've been dragged into the wall and busted off by a few while fishing for jewies. is it best to go hard on them from the get go or maybe even free spool them if they get stuck in cover??

congrats on the records! :thumbup:

Cheers

Tom

Thanks mate got one more last night about 1.2kg so not a horse but still fun. We also got a few good size trevally as well.

To answer your question about how to get a jack to the table rather than being busted off I think it depends a lot on where you are fishing. I was fishing an area where I new there was some very nasty structure so had to go as hard as my tackle would allow to get them out but I have other spots that fish well that are over sand and just feeding flats for the jacks where you can get them on light tackle because the lack of structure.

I have never free spooled a jack to get him out simply because jacks do not just run to cover because they are hooked, they live there. So to free spool might work once every now and again but I think that the jack would just be happy sitting in its structure and out waiting you. I personally have never been a fan of trying to out wait a snagged fish, I just think that if they get you in then fish 1 you 0. For me I accept defeat and get another rig and bait out rather than wait it out, others may differ though.

Good luck getting your jack mate. Be warned though,...... Once you get one your hooked for life.

Cobba :tease: