Status of Fisheries Resources 08/09

Mr Squidy

Fisheries Resource Report

Not sure if this has been posted before but there is some interesting reading in its pages for those out their who are interested in the management of our fishing stocks.

In particular i found the following species of interest:

East Austrlian Salmon are listed as "Fully Fished" with a comment that "Commercial landings are at historically high levels and recreational catch is significant". This has since been followed by an increase in the allowable catches recently "Fisheries Statement"with the minister commenting that "The latest scientific information shows that the Australian salmon stock is in a very healthy condition". Not sure where he got that info but clearly not by reading his departments own reporting.

The other interesting section for me was on Jewfish and surely makes a good case for an increase in the size limit considering the species is listed as overfished and maturity sizes are significantly larger than the legal size for both sexes.

Cheers,

Rich

I could not agree with you more.

Particularly in regards to mulloway minimum size. Fish of 45cm are roughly 2 years of age. sexual maturity does not occur until roughly 75-80cms and 5 years of age. When the majority of fish are harvested before they can contribute to the species, how can there population be deemed anything but overfished! Approximately 80%(percentage of fish caught)of commercially caught mulloway are in the 2-3 year (45-60cm) age bracket! Recreational figures are very similar. To make things even worse for poor mister mulloway, the undersized (<45cms)that are released after being caught commercially have a very poor survival rate.

The commercial landings of mulloway has been in decline since the late 70's, from 250t per annum to the current 60t. As if this doesn't give you an indication of where the population is heading.

The solution to this would be increasing the min length. Unfortunately this would cause massive decreases in earnings for commecial fisherman. If the decision makers slashed the potential earnings of the pro's there would be a massive sh-t fight. So the won't. The recreational fisho is in a much better possition to use moral judgement, as many including myself do with large flathead ect.

Sorry for the rambles but as a mulloway addict, this is a sore point for me. :ranting2:

Anyone keen on learning more, grab a beer and read this.Link

"East Austrlian Salmon are listed as "Fully Fished" with a comment that "Commercial landings are at historically high levels and recreational catch is significant". This has since been followed by an increase in the allowable catches recently "Fisheries Statement"with the minister commenting that "The latest scientific information shows that the Australian salmon stock is in a very healthy condition". Not sure where he got that info but clearly not by reading his departments own reporting."

Mr Squidy.

"Fully Fished" means that, Fishing mortality and natural mortality are the same.

Estimates of the biomass are greater than 30% of estimated unfished stock.

Catch rates steady for 5-10years and or catch rates are greater than 30%

of initial catch.

Length and age distribution are stable

Species are fished through their entire geographical range.

So in other words the stock is healthy.

Edited by finin

"East Austrlian Salmon are listed as "Fully Fished" with a comment that "Commercial landings are at historically high levels and recreational catch is significant". This has since been followed by an increase in the allowable catches recently "Fisheries Statement"with the minister commenting that "The latest scientific information shows that the Australian salmon stock is in a very healthy condition". Not sure where he got that info but clearly not by reading his departments own reporting."

Mr Squidy.

"Fully Fished" means that, Fishing mortality and natural mortality are the same.

Estimates of the biomass are greater than 30% of estimated unfished stock.

Catch rates steady for 5-10years and or catch rates are greater than 30%

of initial catch.

Length and age distribution are stable

Species are fished through their entire geographical range.

So in other words the stock is healthy.

Hi Finin,

Thanks for your response, at the end of the day debate on these issues is only a good thing as it leads to better informed fisho's across the board. I'm not sure where some of that info in your comment came from, would be interested to have a read if you could post the link. I actually cant find the definition of "Fully Fished" in the original report, but, NSW department of Environment Link in relation to this report clarifies the statis "Fully Fished" as:

"Fully fished: catches are likely to be sustainable, but there is little scope for increases in either the recreational or commercial catch." This was my understanding of the term.

This was all in 09 prior to the current increase that has just been approved.

To my logic the increase in harvesting of a premier recreational sports species just for use as trap bait makes little sense. especially when it was already the case in the governments own report that "Commercial landings are at historically high levels".

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Mr Squidy

Mr Squidy, not a problem. Once yoursef and others read this it may help clarify things. By the way forget about the salmon, did you read the kingfish report? NOW i would personally like the size limit to be wacked up to 87cm. Imagine the outrage that will produce untill people read why it should be done. Totally agree on the jewies as well.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/376286/Status-of-Fisheries-Resources-in-NSW-2008-09-Definitions--How-To-Read-the-Species-Reports-pp-xviii-xxii.pdf