no fish at brighton!

So i followed the advise of u guys last time and decided to go down to a local fish shop he gave me a fishing rod that i can throw very far with. Yet i can seem to catch no fish, i have only used prawns so far, and only use a basic runner rig. i fish mainly on the shore and avoid the rock platforms sticking out of the beach as i always get snags. I would appreciate some advice from u experienced fisherman on how i can start catching some fish, and also where to fish, rigs i can use to avoid snags, best time to fish and so on.

TYVM guys

Hi there.

Try and get your hands on some live nippers or worms. Size 6 long shank hook, small pea sinker sitting on it. You don't need to cast far to catch fish. You can see the whiting feeding all along the beach at Brighton about a meter from the beach. You should also pick up some bream, trevally and flathead. I fish the area fairly often, send me a message and I might be able to meet up and show you a few things.

alasdair

Edited by alasdair

Hi and thankyou for responding.

I gave tube worms a try today fishing on the rocks sticking out of the shore. i managed to get a few bites and nibbles but i couldnt land them. i was the only one not catching fish while everyone else was. Everytime the fish bit i would end up losing them. Do you reckon its because my line is loose or something else.

P.S: Sorry we cant meet up as im only 15....

Hi there.

What size hook, strength line are you using? There are lots of smaller fish around that will pick your bait of the hook. If you are getting bites I try not to strike at them as this just pulls the bait away from the fish. If it is a decent fish they will end up hooking themselves when the suck the bait in and swim away.

Most people will be willing to give you a bit of advice if you go up and have a chat with them, see what set up they are using etc.

alasdair

mate try fishing off the beach instead of the groynes. Head towards ramsgate where the water appears to be a bit deep at the shore than up at brighton way. If you have the time try to fish near the high tide and close to dusk. Also put some berley out (breadcrumbs with tuna oil) and use nippers on size 6 long shank in a running sinker rig. When you cast your bait out, slowly move the bait across the sand by doing one turn of the reel every 10 seconds or so. The whiting tend to be keener on hitting moving baits.

Good luck with it.