Spread help

Hey Raiders,

Right now i troll out of my boat which is a 5.2m centre console.

I troll 5 lines, no outriggers.

My set up usually consists of centre rod with a jethead positioned shot gun and i have this about 30 metres back.

I have one squidgy garfish with a skirted pusher over it on the far left and another normal skirted lure on the far right.

On the inner left and right I have 2 rapala x wrap or yozuri deep diving minnows which are about 5 washes back.

I dont get any tangles which I am happy about but am just wondering if anyone has any feedback on my spread. This spread is new so havent had much time to raise any fish on it.

Do you hook marlin on the williamson garfish with the skirt over them? also how well do deep diving minnows go on marlin?

Trolling speed is 8km/ph

Any feedback would be good

Cheers, Stan

C

Hey Raiders,

My set up usually consists of centre rod with a jethead positioned shot gun and i have this about 30 metres back.

I have one squidgy garfish with a skirted pusher over it on the far left and another normal skirted lure on the far right.

On the inner left and right I have 2 rapala x wrap or yozuri deep diving minnows which are about 5 washes back.

I dont get any tangles which I am happy about but am just wondering if anyone has any feedback on my spread. This spread is new so havent had much time to raise any fish on it.

Do you hook marlin on the williamson garfish with the skirt over them? also how well do deep diving minnows go on marlin?

Trolling speed is 8km/ph

Cheers, Stan

C

Not sure bout the deep divers for marlin?

But I have got a couple on the Williamson blue garfish with the pink skirt over the top in the shotgun position. I would probably suggest re rigging them from the get go as they aren't particularly strong.

As for speed, Depends on your boat and conditions but Generally between 5 - 10knots (about 8knots (not km / ph) is usually ideal) Im no expert but I think 8km/hr is a bit too slow? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As long as the lures are not sitting under the surface all the time (too slow) but not bouncing out of the water all the time (too fast) you should be ok. You want the lure to be "swimming" nicely with a nice trail of "smoke" (bubbles) behind.

Like I said I'm no expert but hope this helps.

Hey Raiders,

Trolling speed is 8km/ph

Cheers, Stan

C

Hi stan

The x-rap 30 will hook up marlin , have a neighbour who hooked a marlin just off botany heads on a pilchard colour .

He went out trolling it around to see what he could catch and was welcomed with a marlin , so definately worth having in the spread.

Chris.

I think the problem with deep divers is you cant run them fast enough to give your skirted lures a proper action. While the deep divers will catch marlin in my opinion you would be best concentrating on a spread of skirted lures if you are chasing marlin instead of trying to cover all bases.

i run a flock off birds teaser about 3 meters back and always run a lure just behind it worked a treat last year i think a teaser is a must have for marlin as well as outriggers[did i mention i have outriggers for sale :biggrin2: ]had to plug that one :biggrin2: the flock off birds chatter on the surface great teaser for 50 bucks

cheers gary

i run a flock off birds teaser about 3 meters back and always run a lure just behind it worked a treat last year i think a teaser is a must have for marlin as well as outriggers[did i mention i have outriggers for sale :biggrin2: ]had to plug that one :biggrin2: the flock off birds chatter on the surface great teaser for 50 bucks

cheers gary

Hey mate

What sort of out riggers do u have, & what is the length ?

Regards Grant