hardbody jewie

mii11x

Hey raiders,

Your name: Mick

Your Location: Campbelltown

Fishing technique: Jewfish on hardbody lure

Availability: generally weekdays are out, but say after 5pm throughout the week and anytime at night or weekends

Preferred location: Any NSW really

Provide your own gear? Yes

Provide your own boat? Yes, though id prefer to shorebased at the moment

Been fishing for these magnificent animals for nigh on three years now(been fishing for four years), using live and fresh baits and soft plastics - both landbased and from my boat. I have had a fair bit of success for the jewies and by no means am I a beginner anymore, however i have still not caught what I believe to be a trophy mulloway - my biggest being 6.2kg at 86cm. Last winter was tough for me considering the hours i did put in, I got the diary to say so, so after a while i began thinking outside the square and tried different spots to my fav and then thought maybe i should try with hardbodies.

Ive had no luck so far but am persisting with it. Generally one out of 6 or 7 trips is hardbody night. I have ALL my own nice gear also. I just aint sure that I am fishing these larger hardbodies correctly I guess.

After a mentor, not to show me where they like fishing/jewie spots and all there learnt secrets,we dont even have to go and fish for them, but would be nice to have someone say, your going about it right or wrong. I cant stress this enough, I am not after all your valuable knowledge as I have learnt from my own expereinces/sessions when and where I think the fish will be.......maybe as your reading this your screaming get up the north coast of nsw at the moment, as it seems a lot of people from say harrington, and the clarnece river area catch jews on hb's in times of flood. Its where I would like to be, but if I dont stay here in sydney and work I wont be able to keep fishing lol.

Like I mentioned above, I'm no scab and not one of the "whats the best bait to use, where the best spots" types of people, nothing in life is for free, work hard and be rewarded!!! It does not have to be the trophy mulloway I am after but it's the reward of a hardbody caught jew I am looking for, my first and hopefully not the last.

So if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and girls

Mick

PS I have own car, own boat, own gear and can get to pretty much anywhere

Try underneath Captain Cook bridge on the northern side at night on the top of the tide Use larger lures 15cm nilsmasters in a mullet colour are very good They dont need to go deep and a rod that can cast those lures a long way are what you need We used to use beachrods with sidecasts Now would be a good time with a bit of fresh coming down the river and leading up to the full moon

Good luck it is a game of patience and keeping a lure in the water

Hi.

My brother and I have caught several Jew on hard bodies however I must say that this has only happend in two locations. One is in Ballina and the other is Stockton.

The thing both these locations have in common is:-

They are regular jew fish haunts.

They have overhead lighting not bright but still enought.

Bait fish school there. Specially mullet and in Ballina Herrings as well.

We fish manly new moon faises.

1 hour before and after low tide.

If you can find this combiantion then use faily large shallow diving lures and work them slow. Stop start wind and then let the lure suspend the jerk again.

Hope this helps

Hard bods are not the best option for jewies.

Big plastics are and anything 5 inches or biggger in jerk shad or paddle tail with a jighead 1/4 to 1/2oz depending on the current will get you the desired effect.

MULLOWAY ON LURES :biggrin2:

thanks swordy, but i manage to get them on the plastics both landbased and from my boat.......i really would like to get them on a hardbody now.

Try underneath Captain Cook bridge on the northern side at night on the top of the tide Use larger lures 15cm nilsmasters in a mullet colour are very good They dont need to go deep and a rod that can cast those lures a long way are what you need We used to use beachrods with sidecasts Now would be a good time with a bit of fresh coming down the river and leading up to the full moon

Good luck it is a game of patience and keeping a lure in the water

You know iceman, i was at cc bridge on dec 8, fished the early morn high with the hardbodies. Mullet were everywhere on the northside/towra side. I started casting and got two thuds, was thinking it could have been a jew, but also thinking it could have been my lure hitting something else. It was noticed however, that when I felt the bumps/thuds the mullet seemed to crap themselves and darted off as if something was chasing them/ there was a fair amount of distance from my lure to the mullet. Ill never know for sure I guess.

I'll just keep at it, seems as though I am presenting the lure correctly from Kingpigs reply, slow constant retrieve, with a couple of jerks to get the lure down. I been using killalure jewie 150's, and rapala xrap 12's and 14's(depths to 2.4m), i cant seem to find the nilsmaster lures yet. Rod is T curve revo 9foot and reel is twinpower 10000 loaded with 50lb berkely sensei braid.

Now if i can find the time to get up newcastle and beyond......hmmmmmm road trip is calling.

Thanks everyone for your replies and well wishes

Mick

Just keep spinning....

It can take a while but the persistance is well worth it. I got a good one this arvo landbased on a hardbody.

Just waiting for the camera to charge and i'll put up some pics.

Great advice Dan.

Yes, thanks for the call!! :thumbup:

To crack your p.b on a Hardbody is an awesome effort mate.

They don't come easily, as you well know after all the effort you've put in. :1yikes:

What other crazy bugger would be bothered to spin for jew in a howling wind, while it's pissing down with rain?! :wacko:

Ohh, the one that spins up a cracker JEW!

Well done mate,

Cheers,

Grant.

Just keep spinning....

It can take a while but the persistance is well worth it. I got a good one this arvo landbased on a hardbody.

Just waiting for the camera to charge and i'll put up some pics.

I will keep persisting, that is life.......work hard and be rewarded.

well done on the jew mate, cant wait to see photo's