Goodradigbee at Brindabella

Centrepin

Evi had not been able to fish so far this season ( Catastrophe ) and we only had the Sunday and Monday available This was not long enough to mount a trip to the Snowies and the Brindabella’s seem a better option for 2 days.

It had been 2 years since we had fished the Goodradigbee at Brindabella and then only encountered small fish but this still seemed the best option to get Evi into some fish.

We left out van at Wood Reserve camping area, lovely camping. I had heard of some good fishing on the Cotter at “ vanities crossing” so we set off to explore. Disappointment greeted us at the site of the river. Little flow and dirty.

Oh well off to the Goodradigbee. Now on a long weekend this area is crowded with campers. We headed as far as we could go and then walked about 30 minutes to the river. While the river leading in was teeming with people we had this area to ourselves. There was not even any fresh campfire from the weekend.

post-10909-062267700 1328142125_thumb.jpg

post-10909-042762500 1328142138_thumb.jpg

Evi started off with a size 14 Modified Wulff and I had a Humpy / nymph rig. I left her to the first run and proceeded upstream. The run was shallow and I thought I would pass the time waiting till she finished the first run. I found fish were eager on the nymph but would not look at the dry.

With this information I went back to see how she was going and there was no interest on the Wulff. Put on a nymph below the dry and left he too it.

I went back to finish the shallow run and got another couple of fish. 20 - 35 cm’s. Not long after Evi came to join me with an expectant but disappointed look on her face. She landed one small fish and lost her nymph to a good fish that ran he under a rock.

post-10909-074524000 1328142149_thumb.jpg

Now we had only fished 2 runs and these were not the best runs. I was full of expectation at the better / deeper runs. As we moved upstream we spooked several reasonable fish out of the shallows. The next 3 deeper runs were the cream of the fishing last trip and only produced 2 fish right in the very head in shallow water again. Continued upstream for a couple of fish in shallower runs. We decided to head back to the first 2 runs and see if they would produce again.

post-10909-005651700 1328142115_thumb.jpg

post-10909-014436200 1328142163_thumb.jpg

post-10909-044822200 1328142189_thumb.jpg

Evi caught 3 lovely fish with the best being nearly 40 c.m’s. I caught a lonely 1 fish on the dry.

post-10909-069056900 1328142198_thumb.jpg

We packed up and walked back to the car very satisfied that Evi had opened the season on a clear day in clear water with some eager fish. Glad that there were some bigger fish than last time and confirming the Goodradigbee fish reluctance for dries.

Geoff and Evi

PS: It poured on Monday night. When we got home we found we had did not have our rods. Back I went on the Tuesday and the river was almost in Flood, very dirty and unfishable. I got the rods.

post-10909-041739400 1328142176_thumb.jpg

Go Girls!!biggrin2.gif Well done Evi! Out fishing the master! biggrin2.gif Good to hear you got some fish & weren't rained out! I have yet to catch a brown! It is on my list!!

My heart fell when I read you'd forgotten your rods! So glad they were still there! Yes, rivers in flood here too!

Roberta

Top report :thumbup: Don't often read reports about the Goodradigbee anymore and its great to see it like it is. And I am happy you got your rods, I have left rods behind before (Surf Rods at Dee Why) and someone claimed them in the 45 minutes it took me to turn around and go back and I know its a gut wrenching feelings.

There used to be a lot of Brook Trout in the Goodradigbee in the Brindabellas many many years ago. Be interesting to see if any have survived. (at least I think it was the Goodradigbee?)

Windy