Catch A Carp!?

GABBA

Hi. My friends and have recently gotten into the sport of fishing and after doing some reading I have found a good, fun practice fish is the Carp. They pull hard (on light gear), plentiful, etc. But after MANY attempts www cannot even find these fish. So some help would be appreciated.

Your name: Alex

Your Location: Sydney South-West

Fishing technique: Carp on whatever is required?

Availability: Weekends preferred

Preferred location: Anywhere in Sydney, preferably the West

Provide your own gear? Yes (to an extent, nothing fancy)

Provide your own boat? No

If anyone thinks they can help a couple of novices, please let me know. I'm sure it will be fun also!

Thanks.

Hi Guys, sorry I can't help by going with you as I live 7 hrs from Sydney. I can suggest that you all head to the Nepean at Penrith and fish there for carp. You need to be a bit persistent and it will pay off, I'm sure. Carp have a great ability to find food sources so the trick is to put food in the water and bring them to your bait. Bread is great for this... either wet breadcrumbs, form into a ball and chuck in where your bait is or moisten bread slices, squeeze most of the water out, and chuck small balls of this near your bait. The fish will find these and start feeding... all you have to do is catch them. They are strong fish and good fun to catch on light gear (4kg line). Float fishing can be good but you need to introduce your "berley" through the area you're drifting (if there's any current flowing). Hope you get out and try this and catch heaps of big carp. Good luck. Big Neil.

There's a heap of carp in the Nepean. I've only caught them in the Nepean as a bycatch when chasing mullet but it's certainly not disappointing. When I have caught them it has been whilst floating bread. I've heard that corn kernels are also successful.

When I recently visited relatives in Dunedoo I spent a few hours at the local river (creek) partaking in a carp fishing comp. We dug up some worms and broke them up and used them as bait. My girlfriend, myself and my 10yo cousin managed 17 in a few hours all ranging between 25 and 65cms. We were just using a running sinker rig with a very light weight. Hook choice I've found doesn't make too much difference. My girlfriend and cousin fished with a bream-sized suicide hook whereas having caught a 6.5kg carp on one before I stuck to my tiny mullet hooks. I used 5lb braid with an 8lb fluorocarbon leader and it was good fun. I was only bringing in smallish carp so it was fine on such light gear however I brought my PB carp in on 8lb mono and that was awesome fun.

I don't know if the council would take kindly to you digging up the banks of the Nepean looking for worms so unless you can get them elsewhere it may be wise to stick with bread or carp for now. I've heard that Parramatta lake has plenty of carp also and you wouldnt have to deal with any boats so that might be a good spot to try. Effectively any freshwater creek/river/dam will hold carp but wherever you choose to go just look for the edge of a weedbed and cast nearby. You don't have to move around too much, eventually the fish will come to you.

I haven't specifically targeted carp in the Nepean but if it clears up next week I'm sure we could organise an afternoon session during the week and I can show you what little I do know and the spots I've caught and seen carp caught along the river.

Cheers,

B.

Edited by bean