A rare occasion (the missus beat me lol)

kaiser

Well ive got the taste so heres another report :thumbup:

Went out yesterday after work and after some stuffing around getting oil/petrol for the boat (after mondays effort of running out of fuel and enjoying a nice paddle (1.5 hrs) down the river :1prop: ) got out to the river with the missus and a mate.

It was a perfect afternoon and the competetive banter was in full swing as we pulled up to the first spot. Marzie ( :wife: ) was onto the first fish before i even had a bait in the water. nice 46cm cod. I got snagged as she pulled in the next fish around 39cm. this continued for the next half an hour; me getting snagged, marzie catching fish and ryan getting bites but unable to get the hook set. So after marzie had got 4 or 5 cod we decided to move to another spot where she was on again but a carp this time :tease: and ryan helped the boys situation with a nice 45cm model.

post-18526-076243600 1329353241_thumb.png

It was around 830pm by now so we started heading back to the ramp pulled up at one last spot. I finally had a good hit only to get snagged up again leading to my forfeit for the day haha another five minutes a Marzies rod keeled over and she was on again. As the head came out of the water i called it for 60-65cm a good solid fish i thought, we measured it up... only 56cm! he had a solid head but a stumpy tail so a quick photo and back in the drink to fight another day. So the boys lost this round marzie ended up with 7 cod 1 carp, ryan 1 cod and me with about 30 stick fish (snags lol) but good to get a fish in the boat and the missus' smile says it all.

post-18526-026402400 1329353953_thumb.png

Hi Kaiser and friends, I went down to the Bidgee at Narrandera yesterday and fished from the bank. Got a few decent sized shrimp and managed a couple of 30-35 cm Cod and a few reasonable Carp which were black. Funny thing though, I went to the same spot a month ago and it was almost 2 metres deeper. Lots of Cod being caught in the Bidgee at the moment. Big Neil.

Hi Kaiser and friends... question. Do u have a preferred rig for Cod fishing? Yesterday I used 2 different rigs and there wasn't an obvious better one. Rig 1 was a paternoster rig with ball sinker and rig 2 was a running ball sinker to about 30 cms of the hook. Rig 1 allows me to keep the shrimp (or yabbies) off the bottom a bit and stops them from diggin in and hiding. Not much difference in snagging between them either as I managed to get both snagged. Cheers, Neil.

Gday Big Neil.

I tend to lean towards the paternoster rig consisting of a threeway T swivel with about 40/45cm line to the sinker and around 3/4 of that for the line leader (ie 30cm). For the hooks i have been using and succeding with the mustard big mouth and gamakatsu shiner(?) hooks cant remember what size though. I find the hook rate is better than using the standard bait hooks with the wider gap hooking in the corner of the mouth and less striking effort needed. They also seem to be able to "unsnag" better as long as when you initially snag up, ease off on the retrieve and bounce over the snag similiar to a lure. As for bait i havent used shrimp for a while cheese and grubs have been my bait of choice.

Hi Kaiser, never thought of using those type of hooks...how do u apply the cheese to them? Do u just put ur cheese at the base (pointy end ) or run it up the hook? Makes sense about them unsnagging easier..will give 'em a go next time I'm out there. cheers, Neil.