What's the best 2500 spinning reel?

foolforjesus

Hi Raiders,

I'm looking to buy a new 2500 spinning reel, for trout fishing, using plastics, hard bodies, celtas & blades.

Any suggestions what's the best for quality, performance & dollars.

Appreciate your input!

Cheers, Chris

dont fish for trout, but use in saltwater plastics fishing.....a 2500 sol with 4lb braid, good enough drag to stop rat kings to 64cm with a t curve 2-5kg rod. approx $280. reel has never let me down on jewies to 70cm either.

mick

That question depends entirely on who you ask!!! There's heaps of good reels in that size ranging from around $100 to $500 plus. Best to give a budget when you ask these questions to help narrow it down. Obviously the certate or stellar are going to rate the best, but you'd expect that as they're both top end reels. Fact is a reel 20% of the cost of these two may be just what you need...

Hi,

When i go to TCD i take either a 2000 Daiwa Sol or Ballistic with 4lb braid. They are both good reels and i also have them in the 2500 sizes too. If you are looking at spending $200 - 300 then i would go with one of these. The ballistic has a higer speed of 6.0:1 which does come in handy sometimes and they are lighter than the Sol which would be good for you if you are going to be doing alot of walking and casting all day at TCD as you really want to be fishing as light and finess as possible.

Hope this helps :biggrin2:

Daniel.

hey Chris,

the best eeewwwww i played with an 2500 exist branzino once at a tackle show hehe, too nice soooooo smooth but sooooooooooo pricey,

thats the best ive felt,

i have a couple of sols and a luvias which im very happy with after working pretty hard for a few years now,

the luvias is what i was using the other day at the lake, its my favourite light, smooth, strong, reliable,

plenty out there mate go and have a feel of some and see what you like,

shimano, daiwa, both great.

New 2012 Exist is being released if you want the best but get ready to drop a grand including line.....

Personally a good light 2500 to your budget will do, if you go daiwa get a 2506 series with the shallow spool, takes a roll of 125m in either 4or 6lb without backing for easy respooling.

This size is also the finesse type with 3kg's of drag. The lighter drag gives you more drag control in light settings for perfect adjustment. 3kgs is plenty for trout as your only fishing light line and leader.

2500's have a larger diameter spool so there is less line memory coil. This gives you better casting and less problems with wind knots when flicking light plastics.

I love my Exists and have had them for the last 5-6 years since release, perform beautifully and upgraded from Stellas to these.

Only other reel Id consider is some of the megabass limited ones but they are only blinged up Daiwas trying to be Exists....

Greg

New 2012 Exist is being released if you want the best but get ready to drop a grand including line.....

Personally a good light 2500 to your budget will do, if you go daiwa get a 2506 series with the shallow spool, takes a roll of 125m in either 4or 6lb without backing for easy respooling.

This size is also the finesse type with 3kg's of drag. The lighter drag gives you more drag control in light settings for perfect adjustment. 3kgs is plenty for trout as your only fishing light line and leader.

2500's have a larger diameter spool so there is less line memory coil. This gives you better casting and less problems with wind knots when flicking light plastics.

I love my Exists and have had them for the last 5-6 years since release, perform beautifully and upgraded from Stellas to these.

Only other reel Id consider is some of the megabass limited ones but they are only blinged up Daiwas trying to be Exists....

Greg

i was going to suggest the shallow spool model 2500 for the exact reasons stated above, highly precise drag 3kg instead of the usual 7kg on normal spool size with the casting ability of the 2500,

great advice Greg.

Thanks everyone, all good options, you've given me lots to think about.

I like the idea of the smaller reels, but like the larger spool for casting ease.

Maybe the shallower spool in the 2500 is the way to go?

I'll have to weigh up the costs.

At the end of the day, my Dad was using the good old fashion Mitchell reels back in the day, which served him well, landing many a big trout & Atlantic Salmon.

Of course the more modern drag systems are amazing, but do we really really need them?

The same can be said for fly reels...At the end of the day, they really are only a line holder.

Yes, you can play a fish off the reel, and higher quality reels will have a better drag system, but again do we really need it.

I only upgraded my fly tackle around 6 months ago. I've been using the same rods and reels for the past 20 years!!!

No problems at all, plus they were not top of the range by any means.

For me, it all comes back to do I really need it?

Yes, it would be nice to have the gun top of the range reel, but as with everything in life, I think I really don't need it!

Man fishing tackle is complicated these days lol!

Just been reviewing various reels, and I think I'll be going down the Daiwa 2506 route.

I like the lighter 3kg drag, which is more than enough for trout, plus the spool size for casting distance & line spooling sounds good.

I'll post what I decide on once I get it.

if i could do it over again thats what id do,

check out daiwa freams kix 2506 if you dont want to spend a million bucks, $170 new 2506, 3kg drag, crbb, a bit too heavy for a 1-3kg rod BUT would be nice on 2-4kg,

not a bad reel so far i have the 2500 on a 1-3kg rod at the moment but it feels heavy in the hand and light on the tip (i like it opposite to that personally but some others might think differently)

cheaper option.

check out emereldas 2506 too thats the one id like.

Just regarding the casting ease of a 2000 sized reel, this is true if your using mono as it does have memory so a larger spool will throw larger loops improving the casting. The down side of a larger spool is the increased leverage it causes at the point where the line meets the spool which means greater force is required to pull the line off. Now if you're fishing mono this disadvantage is outweighed by the advantage of reducing line memory. If you're fishing braid however, which has very little memory if any then the advantage of a bigger spool is lost. Basically, from a casting point of view with modern braided lines there would be no discernible difference between a 1000 and 2000 sized reel. If anything the 1000 should actually cas better all things equal. Choose the size based on what feels comfortable for you on the rod and how much line capacity you need, which would only be about 50m for trout, if that...

Fair point abecedarian! You never know when that big trout will take off on a 100m run though?!

I will be fishing braid, so I would like at least 100m of line.

Maybe a 1500 - 2000 size reel would be the go then?

I'm going to handle the three sizes and make my mind up.

Like you say, see what feels comfortable.

Again, thank you everyone for your helpful input!

(Daiwa) 1500 size reel perfect size for trout. Don't need 2500 IMO. 1500 has wide enough spool. 1500 also generally better weight match to rod. And double thumbs up for shallow spool models. not cause you save money on line but their finesse drags really are special for light lines. Not hype. Faster gear ratios also good for retrieving line quickly to keep in contact with lure in fast flowing water. Daiwa Presso fit your budget?? Argument for 2500 size may be they are more versatile.

3 pound crystal Fireline just made for trout spinning (and the salty flats. Anywhere but a really tight small stream, a 7'6" rod is awesome. longer casts, better line control in current, better lure manipulation.

If a trout takes 100m of line you've lost the battle. All of the 1000 sized reels will take more than 100m of 6lb braid. My stradic 1000 holds 125 yards of 4lb braid with about 50 - 75yards or so of 6lb mono backing. For trout, line capacity simply isn't an issue no matter what reel you get...

Ok I get the picture! lol! A 1000 - 1500 size reel will do the job. I guess Im just not used to having a smaller sized reel, so its in the back of my mind "What if I hook a bigun"?

Rightly so Abecedarian, I guess if a fish takes 100m of line, it is all over!

I guess I'm showing my inexperience as a lure fisherman, its all kinda new to me.

Not to mention that there's usually a nice big stick or rock to break you off on within that distance.

The truth is mate, you get what your comfortable fishing with. A 2000 sized reel isn't overkill if it feels good on the rod and is nice to use. I prefer a smaller reel myself, always have. Just don't get worried about talk of casting distance and line capacity as it's simply not an issue for what your targeting. As a side point, unless there'd definite structure your aiming for, casting further than 10 meters from the bank is often wasted effort. The bank is where the food is as a general rule, but as with anything there are exceptions...

Hi Stewy, yes in hindsight, your right!

Ok, I've narrowed the reel down to.......Daiwa Freams 2000. The reason being BCF have them in stock for $219.

I've checked the specs, and they have a 4kg drag (if I'm right) which is better for trout.

I'm aware that the Freams do a 2506 model, which has the shallower spool (I think 100m of 6lb braid as opposed to 190m of 6lb braid for the 2000 model)

Out of these two which one would be better, or would I be better still to look for a 1500 size in a different model???

Fly fishing reels are sooooo much simplier lol!

If that's the size that suits you best then go for it. As for the spool depth, the shallow one means you don't need much mono backing (just a few wraps) to fill it up with a 125 yd spool. The deeper spool will need more backing or a larger spool of braid.

100 meters is ample for trout, but you may want more if you intend to fish saltwater species with that outfit. If both spools are full they should cast the same. I'd personally go the deeper (higher capacity) spool as it's more versatile. Just as an alternative, for that money I really rate the stradic. Just a really good reel that's reliable and excellent value for money. Diawa is a top brand too so either way you'll end up with a good reel.

Also, I'd seriously consider 4 lb braid. It's more than enough strength and the thinner diameter is less affected by wind currents on the water and gets down deeper faster. Plus it casts better but if your spool is too full it can cause more wind knots. I fish 2 lb braid for trout and don't have any troubles with wind knots at all and never had an issue with strength, though I haven't really had the opportunity to test it on a big fish since I put it on...

As for leader, 6 lb is the magic number in my opinion. 4 lb is good with a fly rod where there's a long floppy rod to absorb shock but you don't have that luxury with a spin setup. So 6 lb offers good strength and shock absorption without being too spooky, but sometimes you may need to go higher or lower depending on the circumstances, as with any fishing. Mono or fluro, up to you as I haven't really noticed a difference. I lean towards fluro as that's way I use in the salt so I don't need multiple spools of line.

Edited by abecedarian

Great advice Abecedarian though I'd argue there are now quite a few spin rods designed specifically to shock absorb for light leaders and braid. My 7'6" does exactly that, and is still a crisp caster and has strength at the butt. Combined with that magic shallow spool finese drag haven't had any dramas ever with 4 pound leader. Though as you say that shallow spool does limit them: A 3kg stripey can spool you:biggrin2:

FFJ maybe get a shallow spool model and a spare deeper spool?????

Great advice everyone, thank you.

I finally bit the bullet tonight, headed into BCF, and would you believe what went on special right as I was there, the Daiwa Freams, so I grabbed the 2000 model (the smallest).

It looks nice, feels smooth, its small enough for my rod (shimano ballistic spin 2-4kg), and is virtually the same as the certate, except A LOT cheaper, less bearings, and has the oil seal.

So, I'm happy, it will do the job nicely, and if need be, could be used for salt fishing.

Thanks again Guy's ?

Hey Bombora, I use a 7'6" 1-3 kg lox rod for my trout fishing yet it still doesn't give me the confidence of a 9' fly rod. Still, I'm certain that with the quality of fish I've been catching lately I could drop down to 2lb leader and still land them...

Good point about the drag on the shallow spool, didn't think of that.

Abecedarian, if your looking for a bit of confidence with 4lb leader sunline fc rock has great abrasion resistance and i have landed a great 60-ish cm nz river rainbow with it. but really fishing comes alot down to confidence in gear. just a thought.

Foolforjesus congrats on your purchace cant wait to hear of the reel christening. good luck with your reel.