What's the best 2500 spinning reel?

foolforjesus

Hey abeceedarian I use the same rod. It's handled the Turon's turbo charged rainbows to 46cm in tight/snag filled small pools without drama! And it's one of the few rods which can actually cast 1/32nd with poise. Was worried it was too fragile and not enough grunt at first but love it. Probably condemned myself now to getting smashed on it (or me snapping it) next trip :biggrin2:

Hey abeceedarian I use the same rod. It's handled the Turon's turbo charged rainbows to 46cm in tight/snag filled small pools without drama! And it's one of the few rods which can actually cast 1/32nd with poise. Was worried it was too fragile and not enough grunt at first but love it. Probably condemned myself now to getting smashed on it (or me snapping it) next trip :biggrin2:

Yeah I love it, it's the only rod I use now for all my trout, bream and flathead spinning. Only complaint with it is the eyes are just a tad too small for my liking. If I used 8lb leader and tie a uni knot then it buggers the knot in no time not to mention stuff up casting. Easy fix though, use an Albright!!!

I agree with Abecedarian, if a trout runs more than a footy field long then he deserves the freedom, a 2000 reel will hold over 100m of 4lb braid + backing which is more than enough. just remember you have to hold the reel all day, i took my 2500 sol to tcd once and never again, the 2000 sol is much better.

So how much are you willing to spend ? what can you afford and be happy with ? Remember as you will be lure casting alot the reel gets more of a work out than bait fishing reel where you cast and leave it for a while. Spend above $200 and you will start to see reels of the better quality gears etc and they won't cost a weeks work :thumbup:

Regards Daniel.

Hi Fishermandan123, I bit the bullet last night actually, and got the Daiwa Freams 2000.

It just went on special whilst I was in the store, from $219 to $189, so it looks like it will be a nice reel.

I'll keep you posted when i take it out on its maiden outing.

I guess my comment about the 100m was a bit much.

Anyways, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

On my ultra light unit I have a 1000 shimano symetre, it is a great little reel with a very smooth drag, there is no fluctuation in tightness on the run. I have caught some stonker fish on it and its biggest test was a 5 1/2 pound salmon that went ballistic with perhaps the biggest runs this unit could possibly handle on 1-3kg tsunami airwave rod the symetre and 6lb braid. If ever it was going to fail this was the fish it was going to happen to. I am still really proud of the fight it took to that fish. I am not sure if you have caught a salmon before but pound for pound they are one of the best fighters in the water. I never lost faith in the unit and in the end it pulled through and passed its test with flying colours (yes I did actually target the salmon on the ultra light gear hehehe). By the way that entire unit, rod, reel and 6lb super PE braid and all cost me less than $200 ;)

Edited by Jew Stalker

• 1 month later...

Great choice FFJ; 2000's with a deep/normal spool's a perfect all rounder light tackle size. Bet you'll grin when you first hear the drag sing.

Its been a long time coming, but I finally picked up the Freams 2000 reel today. I've loaded her up, and taking her out tomorrow for her maiden outing.

The drag sounds & feels nice, I hope I do get to hear that drag sing tomorrow thumbup.gif

Its been a long time coming, but I finally picked up the Freams 2000 reel today. I've loaded her up, and taking her out tomorrow for her maiden outing.

The drag sounds & feels nice, I hope I do get to hear that drag sing tomorrow thumbup.gif

Well after a tough long day's fishing, after one dropped fish, I finally landed a fine egged up 5lb female Rainbow. The clutch on the reel was smooth as, and sounded great thumbup.gif