Any trout reports

Probably best to target some bass if your fishing the nepean. Maybe herring, mullet and carp if you want some variety. Ive not heard of trout being pulled from the nepean, but with the dam overflowing you never know I guess :lol:

Trout do exist in theNepean system far and few between, there are a few in the Warragamba and the weather cools depending on the recruitment in the Grose River you may get some in the Yarramundi area! I have heard the water below the exlusion area of Warragamba Wall will hold trout after it has spilled so I will be up there for a good look in a fortnight. Though most likely will look at the "Dilly" seeing as the dam got to full!

Trout do exist in theNepean system far and few between, there are a few in the Warragamba and the weather cools depending on the recruitment in the Grose River you may get some in the Yarramundi area! I have heard the water below the exlusion area of Warragamba Wall will hold trout after it has spilled so I will be up there for a good look in a fortnight. Though most likely will look at the "Dilly" seeing as the dam got to full!

When the dam opens the trout flow over , back in the day ( 1998 ) got bag limits trolling tassie devils above the gorge , i will be up there next weekend , off to swansea for a feed of bream and whiting .

Trout do exist in theNepean system far and few between, there are a few in the Warragamba and the weather cools depending on the recruitment in the Grose River you may get some in the Yarramundi area!

I would have thought the water temps/conditions are too eratic to sustain any sort of rainbow population. When the dam flows over surely some fish will also however I didn't think they would survive too long.

When the dam opens the trout flow over , back in the day ( 1998 ) got bag limits trolling tassie devils above the gorge.

As I said before, when it flows over I guess anything possible. Post up a report on your findings - it would be awesome to see some trout caught in the local fresh.

hi all

the trout will be in the nepean but not worth going yet water is so high went for a look early today

best to wait till water drops dramatically then fish the lower side of the weir with spinner baits or worms ive had succsess with this method years ago before the drought

cheers

Okay, so I have done some research for you lads, the Warragamba up until the drought years did have a wild population of rainbows and some browns, the Grose River also has a wild population in its head waters some of which do find their way to Yarramundi and the confluence of the Nepean, the water in the Warragamba has always been substantially cooler than the Nepean as there is that little bit of flow from the dam, trout amazaingly can survive quite long falls the Waitangi Falls in New Zealand is a nexample as you work your way up the falls you see these huge bows which have been washed over in a flood sitting in dep holes half way up the falls! Waitin for he next flood to get down to the lower rivers, the bows here are steelheads and are very hardy decendant from the Californian broodstock sent to New Zealand in the early 1900's they have great genetic background! Don't discount seeing a wild population re-establish in the Nepean/Warragamab they can survive summers as they will seek the deepest shadiest sections in the gorges in the coolest water to survive and as the sun drops and the surface temp cools will move to shallows to feed the ywill also seek the cooler waters at the head of fast moving pools where the water is cooler and oxygen rich, given this years rain and lower temps I think the chances of trout thayt return to this system surviving and spawning if there are sufficient gravel beds could be very high.

Anyone thats up for a mission PM me as theres a couple of dedicated fly fishers waiting here with baited breath for the rivers to settle!

There was a time many decades ago when trout were stocked in the Nepean and the bottom line is even without high temperatures they do not have suitable spwaning areas. Most of the fish that come down the Warragamba, Grose or Colo would be three years old and at the end of their lives so go and catch them is the best option.

Thanks for the info luderick angler. Ill be fishing the nepean after work for majority of next week if the water settles. I don't flyfish though so ill be chucking lures around. I'm landbased so there should be a few new pools created by the flooding that ill be looking to try. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. Ill be targeting bass but I may give the celtas and tazzie devils a go just in case!

Thanks for the info luderick angler. Ill be fishing the nepean after work for majority of next week if the water settles. I don't flyfish though so ill be chucking lures around. I'm landbased so there should be a few new pools created by the flooding that ill be looking to try. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. Ill be targeting bass but I may give the celtas and tazzie devils a go just in case!

Please write a report- would love to see if you get any

There have been reports of huge trout in Warragamba dam. Years ago the Waterboard employees used to hand feed them. I have known of people who attempted fate and fished the dam. They got good catches of trout but they also got caught themselves. Needed up with no fish but large fines. I am sure some will get washed over the dam wall.

Being a local that has fished the River for 39 years , i have caught it all after floods like this . Not only do we get the trout that come out of the Warragamba we also get heaps of big Silver Perch that survive from the 2 Wollongong dams when they spill .I have caught from the nepean 25lb carp ,8lb silver perch , 5lb rainbow and brown trout ,5lb catfishand bass and 6lb mullet . Most of the good landbased spot are now gone due to the Penrith Lakes but the weir will fire in the comming months for trout . Just wait and see.

I tried to fish the nepean today. Apparently the gates were opened this morning but I went for a crack regardless. All the penrith valley landbased spots are unfishable - the water is too high and running too fast. Saw a couple of rises for what was probably mullet. I tried to find a few pools just out of the main current however I'd say there might be too much activity at the moment. The upper reaches of the hawkesbury may be worth a crack but as mentioned in the previous post I would steer clear of the nepean for at least a few days until the commotion dies down.

Don't forget guys, the turbine at Warragamba spits out very cold water so the trout should survive well past winter...tight lines! Keen to come down and have a go as soon as the water is clear.

Edited by guava

• 2 weeks later...