Twin hull vs mono hull

jenx

Hi guys,

Moving to the warmer state of QLD and looking to buy a boat that I can take out through Moreton bay, up to Cape moreton and maybe out up to about 15km's offshore...for example going out to browns mountain or the fads from botany.

Spent my childhood growing up and fishing out of a small 4.2m mono hull with my dad, but as i grew older found it was a bit small and limited our options.

I'm thinking a twin hull (like a shark cat) around the 4.75 - 5.5m mark, with about 100 - 130hp on the back.

Whats everyone's opinion on shark cat type boats over monohulls up to 15km's offshore? Any preference..i hear a lot of people knocking twin hulls, but i'm not sure if they have ever driven one out in the ocean so i'm taking what they say with a grain of salt?

Opening up a can of worms here.

But personally I like the cats style boats (Depending on manufacture) twin engine, great stability and big platform for size.

But they do have the disadvantages like any, can be Wet, high running costs, heavy, bangs running into seas and the list goes on.

If you are only thinking of heading out 10-15km out either boat will do the job. (are you sure the browns and the Fads are only that far out, seem pretty close in)

If you haven't been in one, its best to grab a ride and see for yourself, and get the owner to show you the problems and advantages (its all about walking the hulls over the swells)

And No I don't have one, a deep V for me as I need to drag the kids around every now and then.

twin hules are good but twin engines 2 services thats what turned me off them unless your got plenty of cash which i havent so i went for a diesel this time in a costom boat 60 litres a day and 200$ in filters and oil for a service.

twin hules are good but twin engines 2 services thats what turned me off them unless your got plenty of cash which i havent so i went for a diesel this time in a costom boat 60 litres a day and 200$ in filters and oil for a service.

What about single engine twin hulls? Is there a difference in stability or maneuverability?

• 5 years later...

I had a single engine twin hull for a very short time.  The engine was in the right hand side pontoon, so it was ideal for the place that I used it. From where it was berthed at the marina, I would start the motor and move away from the dock. Then I would turn left to the refuelling dock and fill up the tank. Then I would pull out and exit the marina to the broad-water, turning left. I would troll slowly at low RPM, in a long left hand arc to my fave fishing spot and drop anchor. After a few hours of fishing I would pull up the anchor and head back toward the marina. Trouble was, there was a big rock breakwater to my left and I every single time I took that boat out, I ran aground on those rocks. After a dozen or so groundings, I sold the boat. I could never figure out what the problem was.

7 minutes ago, Lefty said:

I had a single engine twin hull for a very short time.  The engine was in the right hand side pontoon, so it was ideal for the place that I used it. From where it was berthed at the marina, I would start the motor and move away from the dock. Then I would turn left to the refuelling dock and fill up the tank. Then I would pull out and exit the marina to the broad-water, turning left. I would troll slowly at low RPM, in a long left hand arc to my fave fishing spot and drop anchor. After a few hours of fishing I would pull up the anchor and head back toward the marina. Trouble was, there was a big rock breakwater to my left and I every single time I took that boat out, I ran aground on those rocks. After a dozen or so groundings, I sold the boat. I could never figure out what the problem was.

Edited by Lefty
spelling

Just returned from 1770 with my little rib. Fished 80km offshore heading out in 10-15 knots and returning with a brisk 25-30knts of southerly. for safety I've never felt so safe in any boat I've ever owned, downside is lack of room. Legally I can carry 12 passengers and even if all 5 seperate inflatable chambers were to fail, the fibreglass self draining hull still floats. 

Ive owned 4 Haines signatures, seafarer, formula, crusecraft and several ali boats and never though I would buy a rib.

twin hulls work better with air in the tunnelonce you get over 5.6mtr..under that most are average..websters run singles but are expensive if you can find one..i fished for many years in 18ft shark cats 20ft broadbills 26ft brdbll..6.omtr dominator  7.0mtr dominator..i like cats..they are designed to use air and water pressure in the tunnel to give b etter ride..unfortunately I have had the experience of being caught in a sea that was so rough we couldn't get up and travel..sooo we were virtually dead in the water..only my opinion but stick with a glass vhull 5.5/6.0mtr with adequate power and you will have less costs..dramas ..maintenance...there are heaps to choose from..seafarer cruisecraft haines  Yalta  etc etc...if you are confident on the ocean you can go smaller..i have 4.8 vsea and run to shelf off here 30 nautical mile..fads 12 naut mile  seal rocks 20 naut mile   lots to consider so read what other frs say as everyone thinks differently..thats why fr is so great...rick

I have a Webster 4.9 , twin hull , single engine in the center

Fabulous boat , would never consider going back to a mono hull but as rickmarlin62 says " if you can find one ", especially the 5.2 mt

Geoff  

My boat.jpg

On 27/07/2017 at 8:11 AM, Geoff said:

I have a Webster 4.9 , twin hull , single engine in the center

Fabulous boat , would never consider going back to a mono hull but as rickmarlin62 says " if you can find one ", especially the 5.2 mt

Geoff  

My boat.jpg

There are quite a few Webster boats around my area, most I have never seen leave the property's they are on. One guy I know has been trying to sell this one for about 6yrs https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/narooma/motorboats-powerboats/4-7m-webster-twinfisher/1136218815