I need your opinion

rockfisherman

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

any boat ive owned even my current 5m boat will do if i trim the nose down at speed, mine likes to turn hard to the right

Your issue is a probably mixture of things then

not enough hp

cav plate too low

too much weight in the bow

go for a run without your chunky mate :) the bow will sit higher and not bow steer

if that sorts things then you have to distribute the weight more evenly

i just reread your first post

15hp on a 4m boat with 350kg in it its never going to perform (2 x100kg people- 45kg in outboard 20kg in fuel and then 30-50 in gear and anchors etc)

25-30 minimum

ok lol so the motors to pissy... I'll have to live with it, if I buy a new out board the missus will have one on me, and mArried men out there know no amount of horsepower is worth having a nagging missus :)

ok lol so the motors to pissy... I'll have to live with it, if I buy a new out board the missus will have one on me, and mArried men out there know no amount of horsepower is worth having a nagging missus :)

well we can try to help you to make the most of what you have

take a small esky and you sit on the rear seat and drive

and your mate can sit in the middle of the boat instead of on the front seat

a small foil or wing will help lift the bum and get you on the plane quicker, you do lose a little top end though

and cut down on the amount of gear you take on the day

atm this is what i see is happening

you take a while to get up onto the plane

but as you increase in speed there is too much weight in the front of the boat and its pushing a bow wave in front of it

the boat then wants to angle off to one side

Guest Aussie007

juggs i had a 3.75m allycraft 3 x 100kg adults all fishing gear full 25L tank and it got up and flew along with a 18hp tohatsu

juggs i had a 3.75m allycraft 3 x 100kg adults all fishing gear full 25L tank and it got up and flew along with a 18hp tohatsu

and the tohatsu is a known grunty performer,probably the best 15-20 hp outboard you can buy based on performace

it has 2.2kw more and a extra 50cc, if he had the 18hp it may have worked fine

a chinese 15hp with a bit of cav plate drag on a 4m boat with too much weight up front will not perform

i had a 385 explorer so a vnose punt with a 15 johnson only a few years old 3 (lightweight)guys it barely planed, nothing is equal or comparable in boats

the boat planes hes established that, with a bit of weight retribution he may cure the bow steering.

i still think the outboard needs to be raised a little more

i had a american 25hp merc the leg was well over 20 inches and the serial called it for a long shaft

Edited by Juggs

This is definately a problem and my advice would be to take it to Huey and get it sorted out for peice of mind and if its a lemon....sell it and get one that will do the job you want it to do as you will never be happy.

Regards Stewy

Thankyou for the suggestion, but I don't have the $2000-$3000 I'll need after I sell my lemon to get a reputable brand.

Fishingphase

Guest Aussie007

im still yet to figure out if the motor or boat is faulty here when u said u measured one or the other and it measured 20" what was that the motor or the boats transom?

im still yet to figure out if the motor or boat is faulty here when u said u measured one or the other and it measured 20" what was that the motor or the boats transom?

c0947561-52cd-b8bb.jpg

These are the measurements, but since I moved it up and bolted it the difference between the cav plate and the keel is about 20mm

Guest Aussie007

that is much better so its the motor at fault by the diagram plus u have "lift" the engine higher than the top of the transom i would say u have a extra long shaft motor which has a leg length of 25inches (short shaft = 15inch, long shaft = 20inch, extra long shaft = 25inch) get rid of that motor mate and get a proper 20inch long shaft motor u can pick up and sell your motor on any online auction site or even free classifieds

Shaft lengths are nominally 15" (short), 20" (long), 25" (x-long). In reality short can be up to 17", long is anywhere from 19" to 22".

all manufactures measure from differnt points and err on the longer diemension

also transom height should be measured on the verticle with a plum not along the transom face

having it a inch or two low will not make it veer left or right, that is as long as everything is true and straight

where are you located ? i could come for a run in the afternoon and see what can be done

will only take 15-30mins

Shaft lengths are nominally 15" (short), 20" (long), 25" (x-long). In reality short can be up to 17", long is anywhere from 19" to 22".

all manufactures measure from differnt points and err on the longer diemension

also transom height should be measured on the verticle with a plum not along the transom face

having it a inch or two low will not make it veer left or right, that is as long as everything is true and straight

where are you located ? i could come for a run in the afternoon and see what can be done

will only take 15-30mins

Juggs

I've pretty much got rid of the veering problem, the tiller still pulls to the left a little but nothing to be concerned about.

I've basically put it down to a badly designed hull, if I don't

Manage to sell it I will take you up on your offer, thanks Juggs :)

Guest Aussie007

hey mate look up in your manual the "trim tab" its behind and above the prop this correct the engine pulling one way or another u just unbolt it rotate it a little and it will fix the problem

hey mate look up in your manual the "trim tab" its behind and above the prop this correct the engine pulling one way or another u just unbolt it rotate it a little and it will fix the problem

Hi Gaz

What sort of effect does having trim tucked right in produce? And vice versa. There's 4 settings.

Guest Aussie007

tucked right in? i dont know what u mean a trim tab turn left or right to counter steer steering pull say if your driving down the river and shes pulling hard to one side u adjust the trim tab untill she drives strait