Flathead Recipe

CarlRak

From Chief Foodie Dave,

"Sunday’s flathead was done as follows:

The fish itself should be soaked in 5% saline (50g per L water) for at least 15 mins prior to cooking, then dried out briefly on paper towel and dusted with seasoned (salt and pepper) flour. Always shake off excess flour when doing this, and try to do it just prior to cooking. Never let your fish touch fresh water.

I cooked it on low heat in oil and butter, with some capers thrown in well before the fish to flavour the oil. The capers can be left there cooking until the end (and actually taste great when slightly burnt), but get them to the sides of the pan to avoid ruining your nice coating of golden friedness around the fish.

post-18853-042929800 1331161715_thumb.jpg

Beurre Blanc – ‘white butter’

Basically, the full version calls for a couple tablespoons finely chopped shallots, a half glass of wine and a half glass of white wine vinegar and a good half teaspoon or more of fresh cracked pepper (no need to be too finicky with quantities, just taste as you go), all of which you simmer slowly (lowest setting) in a pan until pretty much reduced to a tablespoon or two of liquid swirling around the now very soft shallots. Take care not to burn it. You could also use tarragon vinegar.

Once this is done, take off the heat and mix in a healthy dose of soft (room temperature) butter with a whisk. I always use unsalted butter and put my own salt in, easier to control. So add some salt to taste, a bit at a time. Also some snipped tarragon or chervil is nice for seafood.

And that’s it, easy. Simply dollop over hot seafood and it will melt right in.

Another good sauce for white ocean fish is to just take a glass of really punchy red wine vinegar like Banyuls vinegar, and just reduce it until it’s a syrup. Nothing else to do, and tastes very sophisticated and deep.

Next episode I’ll give you Dave’s tartare sauce, which is so delicious that you’ll make and eat it once a week even if you don’t catch anything. It’s got white anchovies and cornichons in it, amongst other things."

Cheers

Carl

Mmmm. This is why i fish.

Hrgh

From Chief Foodie Dave,

"Sunday’s flathead was done as follows:

The fish itself should be soaked in 5% saline (50g per L water) for at least 15 mins prior to cooking, then dried out briefly on paper towel and dusted with seasoned (salt and pepper) flour. Always shake off excess flour when doing this, and try to do it just prior to cooking. Never let your fish touch fresh water.

I cooked it on low heat in oil and butter, with some capers thrown in well before the fish to flavour the oil. The capers can be left there cooking until the end (and actually taste great when slightly burnt), but get them to the sides of the pan to avoid ruining your nice coating of golden friedness around the fish.

post-18853-042929800 1331161715_thumb.jpg

Beurre Blanc – ‘white butter’

Basically, the full version calls for a couple tablespoons finely chopped shallots, a half glass of wine and a half glass of white wine vinegar and a good half teaspoon or more of fresh cracked pepper (no need to be too finicky with quantities, just taste as you go), all of which you simmer slowly (lowest setting) in a pan until pretty much reduced to a tablespoon or two of liquid swirling around the now very soft shallots. Take care not to burn it. You could also use tarragon vinegar.

Once this is done, take off the heat and mix in a healthy dose of soft (room temperature) butter with a whisk. I always use unsalted butter and put my own salt in, easier to control. So add some salt to taste, a bit at a time. Also some snipped tarragon or chervil is nice for seafood.

And that’s it, easy. Simply dollop over hot seafood and it will melt right in.

Another good sauce for white ocean fish is to just take a glass of really punchy red wine vinegar like Banyuls vinegar, and just reduce it until it’s a syrup. Nothing else to do, and tastes very sophisticated and deep.

Next episode I’ll give you Dave’s tartare sauce, which is so delicious that you’ll make and eat it once a week even if you don’t catch anything. It’s got white anchovies and cornichons in it, amongst other things."

Cheers

Carl

• 1 year later...