nepean trout

we fished the lower reaches of the nepean monday with water levels droping but still up a good 3m we were hoping for trout, river still up in the willows found it hard to find an area to fish, after bush bashing for a while found an area to throw a line a nice little eddy not much room between us and the casurinas but enough room for two, so bait was in order, worms and grubs the choice, we got bass, carp, and eels not the target species but still got fish, good result in the end. day two knowing from previous day we were not in the right area a bit of thought of where we had to go was in order, after looking at maps and studing the terrain we came across a spot in which we knew alot of walking was involved but should pay off for us. after arriving throwing lures and bait around for an hour i saw what i thought was a trout rise and after an hour of nothing started second guessing my self maybe was a mullet, over the next 2hours had two hook ups on trout both threw the hooks and looked like rainbows, my mate on the other hand using bait caught catfish, carp, mullet and some good bass to 55cms plus, and one baby rainbow would have been all of 25cms, all were released. third day back again different aproach caught a rainbow second cast guessed at 50cms, then mate hooks up another rainbow similar size, thats two for dinner, as day went on hooked two more on lure lost both too thrown hooks so we thought change to bait, two bass later one at 45cm and another pushin 55cm we were quietly confident. we got two brown and another two rainbows for the day so target species aquired, both species of trout in the nepean in one day very happy. fish ranged from 20cm to 50+, not the size of fish we were hoping for but still their in there. alot of follows and half harted hits, the fish are pretty banged up missing scales, sores on their heads scrapes and blood in there fins, its a big drop that wall, but didnt see any dead fish so thats a good sign. we were land based and saw a few boats heading up passed us. its the best thing thats happened to the system for a long time and hopefully produces trout for a while to come. the fish by now should be threw out most of the system so look for eddys off the main flow we tryd to avoid long straights in the river. will post pics soon.

Edited by ddaniel

we fished the lower reaches of the nepean monday with water levels droping but still up a good 3m we were hoping for trout, river still up in the willows found it hard to find an area to fish, after bush bashing for a while found an area to throw a line a nice little eddy not much room between us and the casurinas but enough room for two, so bait was in order, worms and grubs the choice, we got bass, carp, and eels not the target species but still got fish, good result in the end. day two knowing from previous day we were not in the right area a bit of thought of where we had to go was in order, after looking at maps and studing the terrain we came across a spot in which we knew alot of walking was involved but should pay off for us. after arriving throwing lures and bait around for an hour i saw what i thought was a trout rise and after an hour of nothing started second guessing my self maybe was a mullet, over the next 2hours had two hook ups on trout both threw the hooks and looked like rainbows, my mate on the other hand using bait caught catfish, carp, mullet and some good bass to 55cms plus, and one baby rainbow would have been all of 25cms, all were released. third day back again different aproach caught a rainbow second cast guessed at 50cms, then mate hooks up another rainbow similar size, thats two for dinner, as day went on hooked two more on lure lost both too thrown hooks so we thought change to bait, two bass later one at 45cm and another pushin 55cm we were quietly confident. we got two brown and another two rainbows for the day so target species aquired, both species of trout in the nepean in one day very happy. fish ranged from 20cm to 50+, not the size of fish we were hoping for but still their in there. alot of follows and half harted hits, the fish are pretty banged up missing scales, sores on their heads scrapes and blood in there fins, its a big drop that wall, but didnt see any dead fish so thats a good sign. we were land based and saw a few boats heading up passed us. its the best thing thats happened to the system for a long time and hopefully produces trout for a while to come. the fish by now should be threw out most of the system so look for eddys off the main flow we tryd to avoid long straights in the river. will post pics soon.

Thats fantastic efforts guys :thumbup: You know those areas really well and finding the trout was only a matter of time .

Doesn,t get better than that , look forward to seeing the photo,s

Chris.

Great effort chasing the trout. I would have been happy with the big Bass, but there is nothing like the taste of success when you get your target species :thumbup:

I wonder if the big Bass also came out of the dam? Were they also banged up like the trout?

I reckon when she clears its game on. Very very nice lads great size fish, The fish look in pretty good nick too! I reckon some fly rods big bead nymphs and its game on, Daniel let me know if your keen theres a couple odf us working out a plan of attack to target them on fly only!!!!!! All I can say is I hope most people exercise sensibility and don't go overboard taking every singletrout they catch for the pan and release a few cause I can see some natraul retention occurring if we have a few more wet years! I have google mapped a few creeks on the upper Nepean and there looks to be a few potential spawning grounds! As a rule the Neean is not classified general trout water nor its tribs and i hope the yobbo catch all take all element does not come into effect cause whilst the yare there it should be for all to enjoy, a lot of these trout will never have seen a fly or lure so once they gain some condition will be eager to chomp at anything matching the hatch. Next weekend is the big test!

Anyone thtas keen for a ission PM me this weekend!

the trout will be lucky to last a year due to average temp of lower and upper nepean. We were walking by the creek and saw a couple of dead ones already wether that was from the fall or the current.

Out of interest was is the average temp of the Nepean? I know browns can survive temps of up 22-24oC and rainbows about the same, theres also some very deep shaded water and they will go lie doggo in the day near the bottom to conserve energy, in the coolest parts so it will be interesting and good wait and see scenario, the browns survived the drought years in the Campbell and the Fish and its gets bloody hot out there! We shall see I am an optomist!

hey guys, we kept 1 fish each over the time we were fishing the rest were released. thanks for the comments. most fish are in good nic, the bass seem to me to be wild fish not soccer ball size fish like other dam fish but slender. there are a few boats going up, we thought about it but a tinny with a 15hp isnt enough against the current. yesterday the river was up a good 10ft brown and racing, there are so many trees down atm so be carefull if you go up.