nepean trout

So what exactly is the yobbo element? I kepted 6 trout over the weekend from Eucumbene (amoungts two anglers) and have been known to keep bass from the nepean and other places for that matter. I dont ever go over bag limits, but have often got there and stoped as my understanding is that bag limits are set to keep rivers and dams healthy while still giving anglers a bit of a feed... So just so I know where I stand, does that make me a Yobbo?

Thanks

Daniel

PS Although I consider it unlikley, wouldnt it be fantastic if trout did establish them self in the Nepean. If they work out how to get through the fish ladders I am sure they can breed up in the far reaches near Nepean dam. All depends if they can find the right gravel beds and the water temp drops enough for them to start swimming up stream. I understand that trout can tolerate high water temps as they will just go to ground and shut down, however they wont breed if the water temp dosnt drop sufficently.

So what exactly is the yobbo element? I kepted 6 trout over the weekend from Eucumbene (amoungts two anglers) and have been known to keep bass from the nepean and other places for that matter. I dont ever go over bag limits, but have often got there and stoped as my understanding is that bag limits are set to keep rivers and dams healthy while still giving anglers a bit of a feed... So just so I know where I stand, does that make me a Yobbo?

Thanks

Daniel

PS Although I consider it unlikley, wouldnt it be fantastic if trout did establish them self in the Nepean. If they work out how to get through the fish ladders I am sure they can breed up in the far reaches near Nepean dam. All depends if they can find the right gravel beds and the water temp drops enough for them to start swimming up stream. I understand that trout can tolerate high water temps as they will just go to ground and shut down, however they wont breed if the water temp dosnt drop sufficently.

Bag limits of 10 fish (20 in possession) for trout are just too high. If people take their bag limit every time they fish it can really have an effect on fish populations. You kept 3 fish per person, anyone who complains about that is just being absurd. Trout are an introduced species, and frankly there's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping some if you're going to eat them. And keeping the big fish is better, trout are very territorial and a big fish will kill a lot of small fish protecting their territory. I think what Luderick Angler is trying to say is there are some individuals ("yobbos") who keep as many fish as they can catch with no regard to bag limits and sizes, which is selfish and not good for sustainability. Keeping 3 trout to eat where the bag limit allows is very reasonable and you should not feel at all guilty for doing so.

The yobbo element I refer to is the uineducated that keep every thing they catch matter with no concern for the effect they are having be it on bass, EP's or trout! As I said I am all for knocking a couple on the head! But when you start taking more than a person needs where does it leave the next angler as I said I am all for a couple for the table or smoker but within sense and moderation! Hope thta clear it up!

Thanks Luderick and Abecedrian, I have had trouble in the past with the catch and release crowd who beleive that killing any fish is a travisity punishable by death. The reality is that those guys will do as much damage to rec fishing long term as will the 'yobbos' who take fish with no regard to bag/size limits.

I would support an increase in the min size of trout, 25cm is crazy they havn't even fully matured at that point and also a min size for EP and Bass.

Had a crack at it today & ended up with zero.My mate had 1 hit.

The river is still flowing fast.

Spotted 1 Trout up the creek just before the weed barriers which are washed up in the trees.

Arrived at the boat ramp at 7.30 but the gates were locked.

Contacted the council yesterday & they said that they would be open.

After a few phone calls we were on the water at 9.30.

Seen about 10+ dead very big carp floating down the river on our way back.

We were the only ones on the river.

Didn't try to get up to the Warragamba river as it looked like it had fairly big rapids

just before the mouth of the juction.

Maybe a bit big for my 3.95 mtr punt.

Did it years ago in an old glass boat but I was younger then.

Still a good 1/2 day out.

Looking foward to more reports.

Cheers

Took a run the river Friday and threw everything at them, managing one lone brownie around the pound mark. Didnt get a picture as it pissed down rain. The boat ramps open with the wharfs still underwater, could be interesting if we get a buy Sunday. The Narrows are a rapid, safe enough in a boat however forget about yaking up there for awhile,further leading to the Junction it's running very fast and about three meters deep if you keep to the right going upstream.