Mountain troutin

GregL

G'day Raiders.

Saturday did the venture over the hill chasing trout again. The early morning stop at the Mac, we saw quite a few other fishers so the race was on up to the dam. It's been a while since we haven't been first to the car park, rivers must have been flooding so there was more than normal pressure on the dam.....

We did the usual march up to the back of the dam and fished our way back flogging the water to foam with a range of plastics and fly.

We had a rainbow at our feet at the first spot taking insects off the top within a rod length between RIchard and myself, we didn't get it..... :ranting2:

15mins later it popped up again and a quick cast of my bass minnow and I was on :thumbup:

A short spirited fight and she slid up onto the bank for a quick pic and off she swam strong.

post-3563-023881900 1331516477_thumb.jpg

The dam seemed pretty quiet without the usual rises but there was a shed load of insects buzzing around. The water was a little bit browner than usual from all the rain of late and I do think it has come up a little since our last visit.

It took a few hours before Rich got on the board, was a nice fish though and put up a great account for itself.

post-3563-066111200 1331516141_thumb.jpg

Through the lunch period the wind picked up and the bite seemed to have shut down. Temps were pretty warm and it was hard to keep motivated to keep casting, a snooze was in order.....

post-3563-046797900 1331516614_thumb.jpg

Bumming under a tree having a little bit of lunch I sat watching the mushrooms grow trying to find a bit of smurfette lol

post-3563-010611300 1331516790_thumb.jpg

Even the bugs were friendly that day, check me little mate out!

post-3563-055429600 1331516871_thumb.jpg

Wasn't till the walk out that we found another patch of feeder, we scored a couple more each from that lot.

post-3563-007024200 1331516928_thumb.jpg

post-3563-023017100 1331516974_thumb.jpg

Over all one of the harder days up at TCD but still we got a few each and still had a great time in nice conditions.

Greg

Good on ya Greg & rich!

Hi Greg, it sure was busy on Saturday. There was a fly fishing comp on!

I made it up there not long after we saw you drive past at Macca's.

Hooked up had a couple of hits within the first 30 mins, unfortunately lost them both.

I struggled all day, having one trout come up right on the surface next to my hopper dropper. Must have changed its mind at the last second.

No more takes all day. We both fished fly only, although I had a 5 minute session on the spin rod, with no hits.

It sure was a harder day than usual, although TCD is a tough old girl at times!

Looking forward to the next trip, hoping the mighty trout will look favorably on us!

Hi Greg, it sure was busy on Saturday. There was a fly fishing comp on!

Ah so that's what was going on!

Thought there were a few more grunters (fly fisherman never say hi if you have a spin rod in hand, they just grunt at you LOL) than normal!

Even funnier when they see I have $3k worth of fly outfit sitting on the ground, then I usually get a double grunt! :074:

Better still is when you hook up next to them on spin, they usually walk off even with me calling out to them to come back because they are on the chew infront of me! :tease: LOL

Oh well I'm glad there was a reason for so many fishers up there, I thought it must have been from all of your reports of late! lol

Greg

Lol at Grunters!

Yeah I don't agree that kind of attitude at all. I love fly fishing, and if I can get them on the fly I will be open and say that I do prefer it.

That said, I know well enough now that sometimes they just won't touch the fly and will go for the spin rod, so I take both.

If I can't get them on the fly rod, I'll take em on the spin rod thank you very much!

Lee aka Hooked Up is learning fly fishing, so we kind of gave the fly rods a thorough work out on Saturday.

As for the fisho's been up there coz of my reports, hmmm, maybe! lol

I have respect for anyone, fly or spin fisherman. It was interesting to see ppl looking at us actually, coz we had fly & spin. I think it threw some ppl! lol

If you could offer me any tips on spin techniques, I would really appreciate it.

I hear your a bit of a spin genius, so my hats of to you mate!

Mate the key to my sucess is persistance.

I don't give up till the death every time I go fishing.

Even when I was lying down I still was casting with my lure in an area I know fish frequent.

I did get some funny looks sitting down on a rock casting my fly rod tho :biggrin2:

Trout I don't think are that fussy, get a lure in front of one and they chase it.

I have had a dog x surface lure to tinny nymphs smashed but I do fish the wriggler and the bass minnow as my go to lures.

That's really all I have, only caught my first last winter so I have no real idea on them yet.....

Mate the key to my sucess is persistance.

I don't give up till the death every time I go fishing.

Even when I was lying down I still was casting with my lure in an area I know fish frequent.

I did get some funny looks sitting down on a rock casting my fly rod tho :biggrin2:

Trout I don't think are that fussy, get a lure in front of one and they chase it.

I have had a dog x surface lure to tinny nymphs smashed but I do fish the wriggler and the bass minnow as my go to lures.

That's really all I have, only caught my first last winter so I have no real idea on them yet.....

I agree with you there Greg, persistence is the key. If you want to catch then you have to keep focused on catching.

I also agree with what you said about getting a lure in front of a trout. If you do manage to get your lure in front of one, I think they will follow it and sometimes, sometimes being the key word, will take it.

In my experience, trout are not fussy as such, but they do have their moments when they're not interested in anything.

I also agree with Luderick Angler, trout can be ultra fussy at times. If your imitation doesn't represent exactly the fly your fishing, they will have none of it.

I think trout can be ultra fussy at times, and at times will take anything you put past them with ferrocity. I think that if you do get a lure on one, their natural territorial instinct will be to attack it.

I think if you get a fly on one, if fished correctly they will take it.

I guess in some ways, the spin lure can be more effective than the fly. But in saying that, the fly will outshine the lure at other times.

Trout fishing really is multilayered, and to say that one technique is better than the other isn't right.

Spin rod or fly rod, fly rod or spin rod, either way, the mighty trout will test both.

I've caught them on the fly when nothing else would touch them, and I've caught them on the spin/lure when they would have nothing else.

I think the mark of a true fisherman, is one that embraces every facet of his passion, to be skilled in all techniques.

In my opinion trout really are funny buggers at times. I've been catching trout for 25 plus years, mostly on the fly.

I've really only been catching them on the spin rod for the last year.

There is definitely an art to spin/lure fishing for trout, so ive still got a ways to go with that.

I'll focus on them wriggler/bass minnows. Thanks for the insight mate.

(fly fisherman never say hi if you have a spin rod in hand, they just grunt at you LOL)

lol hey Chris remember we were having a giggle about just that,

Greg well done on scoring some fish, that day wasnt easy and out of all those (grunters lol) i only spoke to one who had a hook up on a small rainbow and lost it, plus my 2 missed hookups makes no fish landed so yeah man yous did good that day,

your mates rainbow is a good fish,

you guys walked past us at one stage around the back of the lake on your way back, next time il stop you for a chat and introduction,

also went back today for the morning sesh and lost another one mid fight doh still trying to land a trout on fly lol.

I think the mark of a true fisherman, is one that embraces every facet of his passion, to be skilled in all techniques.

Very true FFJ and something that I will be working on every day that I'm breathing!

I love this sport and every aspect of it. I love to try new things and always on the hunt for the NEXT new hit.

I know I'm never going to know everything about fishing but hell I'm going to give it my best shot!

Lee don't worry mate, your not the only one. Richards in the same boat! :harhar:

Greg

Next time your up at TCD be good to catch up. As Lee said, you walked past us round the back section of the dam.

I wasn't sure if it was you so I didn't introduce myself.

I asked you how you were doing though!

We'll never stop learning. What are you thoughts on possible large fish in TCD?

There has to be some mid teens possibly pushing 20lb?

Edited by foolforjesus

FFJ they are there!

Both Rich and I have hooked some monsters and have fought them to our feet. With both of them, best way to discribe them, they looked like legal kingfish! We recon pushing high 70's to 80cm......

Them big belly floppers jumping around out in the middle, some of them are horses!

It was the reason why I was chucking a Dog X one day, massive for trout but I did get one smashed on a first cast of the day not to long ago.

Of late I have even started chucking 4"minnows just to see if I get one or not, not yet anyways....

One of the reasons why we keep going back to TCD, we recon it's the place to score a trophy sized fish!

G

FFJ they are there!

Both Rich and I have hooked some monsters and have fought them to our feet. With both of them, best way to discribe them, they looked like legal kingfish! We recon pushing high 70's to 80cm......

Them big belly floppers jumping around out in the middle, some of them are horses!

It was the reason why I was chucking a Dog X one day, massive for trout but I did get one smashed on a first cast of the day not to long ago.

Of late I have even started chucking 4"minnows just to see if I get one or not, not yet anyways....

One of the reasons why we keep going back to TCD, we recon it's the place to score a trophy sized fish!

G

Lol @ belly floppers! Yeah I've heard a few of them. About three months ago whilst fishing the Western bank, I had the slightest of takes on a fish squidgy. I kept on retrieving in case it came again. At around 3 meters out I saw the fish following, then turn away. As it turned I got a real good look at its size. It was well over 10lb.

A couple of weeks ago, fishing the same spot, I saw round 200 meters out a huge fish fully launch itself out of the water, side on.

It looked massive at that distance, so I estimate that to be 12-15lb.

I'm convinced one of these days, someone will land a double figure fish, maybe higher than 12-15lb.

I often use the 65mm squidgy fish lures. I get a lot of follows, and do manage to hook and land a few.

Seem to find it hard to set the hook with them though, using a 3-5g fine gauge jig head.

I'm gonna focus a bit next time on my sinking fly line. Just let it sink to the bottom and then retrieve. Used to do well using that method.

Yeah, the thought that you just never know if that next hook up could be a double figure fish is what keeps me hooked.

It's a top spot too, plus all the fish there go hard, so it's all good.

Edited by foolforjesus

Ah so that's what was going on!

Thought there were a few more grunters (fly fisherman never say hi if you have a spin rod in hand, they just grunt at you LOL) than normal!

Even funnier when they see I have $3k worth of fly outfit sitting on the ground, then I usually get a double grunt! :074:

Better still is when you hook up next to them on spin, they usually walk off even with me calling out to them to come back because they are on the chew infront of me! :tease: LOL

Oh well I'm glad there was a reason for so many fishers up there, I thought it must have been from all of your reports of late! lol

Greg

Hey that's not true. I'm a fly fisher, and I say hello to everyone, spin or fly. The NSW CFA (Council of Freshwater Anglers) had the annual get together. The largest fish caught was a 63cm Rainbow (Lyell) and 63cm Brown (TCD). My buddy caught a monstor brown, just before competition started 6.5 pound (almost 70cm).

I'll second that Caddis I am a friendly fly fisher chap except when in cranky old man blackfish mode (not often these days) I'll give everyone a G'day and a nod! By the way what constitutes $3000 work of fly gear is that just the rod and reel or your full kit please, I know a Nick Taransky bamboo rod will or a T&T bamboo.......but man my fly kit all up totals out at $1500 and thats the rod reel line waders tippet and flys and sunnies!!!!!!!

I'll second that Caddis I am a friendly fly fisher chap except when in cranky old man blackfish mode (not often these days) I'll give everyone a G'day and a nod! By the way what constitutes $3000 work of fly gear is that just the rod and reel or your full kit please, I know a Nick Taransky bamboo rod will or a T&T bamboo.......but man my fly kit all up totals out at $1500 and thats the rod reel line waders tippet and flys and sunnies!!!!!!!

Buy a Deyoung series reel and a XI3 rod in this country will get you near that. Put line on it and you'd be there.:1yikes:

Ross reels are nice, so over priced here tho! like double......

I had a ross 6-7 for a while. Richards put it to use now. Great value for sure.

I'm a bit of a sucker with the Abels, always wanted one and now I can afford them, why not....

I have a 9,7,5 and about to receive a 3wt and all in custom paint.

Rods I'm similar, hard to move away from a brand when you have never had problems with in the past. Only other I have owned before are the Loomis's which are really on par with Sage imo.

The TXFL was choosen as I wanted something a little slower than the XI2 n3's I have, just for a more suttle presentation.

Greg