stick or grub?

horgs

do you guys prefer stickbaits or grubs when fishing SP's?

ive always fished bait and i'm starting to try plastics, having a hard time tossing up between the gulp 3" minnows and 3" minnow grubs (or swimming mullet in the red packs).

id get both but i dont want to be switching back and forth too much, would rather stick with one and learn the ropes. which would you suggest as an all rounder in estuarys?

Hi Horgs,

I reckon Squidgy 85mm Bloodworm Wrigglers are the great all-rounder in our estuaries. Can be fished with using a slow roll (retrieve) or hopping across the bottom. There are a number of great posts about the use of SPs in the saltwater lure fishing section that help, but nothing beats trial and error.

Good luck with the SPs.....I certainly have been converted and have not used bait for over 5 years.

Having at least 2 colour/shades is a necessity when fishing with plastics, I know you're debating with yourself about shape, but a swap in colour sometimes is all it takes.

Back when things were simple and I only had 3 packs of slick rigs, I had been fishing using a white paddle tail for an hour with no hits, changed to a green one 3 legal flattys in 20 minutes.

Hi Horgs,

I was in a similar positon 6 months ago, but in the interim have gone plastic mad used them for 85% of my fishing since. There are some real plastic/lure fishing gurus on here who I'm sure can offer you heaps of advice but I thought I could share what I've learnt recently.

To begin with, I would say stick to grubs, they have abit more natural action as they drop through the water column and are an easier style of plastic to learn with.

So if you're tossing up between a 3" minnow and a minnow grub, go the grub.

That said, I would tend to agree with Basscather that an 80mm Squidgy Wriggler in Bloodworm colour is a great all-rounder, or even it's 100mm big brother. If it's just one plastic you want to start with, I'd second Basscatcher.

fishingphase also makes a really good point, and even if you start with just one variety of plastic, you'll find yourself wanting to try more very quickly. My advice (after learning this very slowly) is vary your colours not your tails (initially). Get your first pack in a natural colour and maybe your second in a bright colour.

If you stick to grubs for a while, you'll learn some effective retrieves and how they move through the water, afterwards you might like to try stickbaits or paddle-tails.

Cheers

Carl

Thanks for your input, I went ahead and got some bloodworm wrigglers, but I'm also thinking that maybe for a beginner like me it would be a good idea to try out the slick rigs (the pre-rigged squidgies). That way I won't really be worrying about jighead weight and hook size and rigging it on straight!

Now I think I will get a subtle/real looking colour and a lighter colour. Maybe Dropbear for the lighter colour and either Yakka, Slimey or Black&Gold to try and imitate a livey. It's hard for me not to just go and unload my wallet and buy all the colours, too many choices to make

IMO, nothing beats finesse fishing my favourite soft plastic ever: the Powerbait 2" grub

post-10586-011529500 1332212871_thumb.png

Bream love them, and we've had a 93cm jewie landed on one of these.

Mick

Coincidentally, the high 30's Bream in my Avatar has one hanging out of it's mouth.

Edited by iMick