TCD tough water

Ok, for two weeks in a row now I have fished both Saturday's. I have given the water a good going over, trying various spots along the way.

I tried various fly patterns, even tried the lure rod, albeit for a short while.

After fishing with both sinking & floating lines, with only one follow for two solid 8 hour days, I am beginning to draw a few conclusions.

1/. I'm no good at fishing anymore.

2/. There are hardly any fish in Thommo's anymore.

3/. The fish are now all smart and congregate in the middle out of reach.

Or 4/. Possibly they are just not hungry?

After speaking with my Dad, a trout fishing expert of some 40 years plus, we came to the conclusion that there is just such an abundance of food on offer at good ole Thommo's, that some days the fish are just plain not interested!

It makes sense, I mean if you were full after a big meal, and someone put more food in your face, even if it was the most succulent juicy steak, or the most divine dessert, you may show some interest, but more likely than not, you wouldn't want a bar of it.

The same mentality could be said for the mighty Thommo's trout?

It really is the only variable at TCD that is out of the anglers control.

With Yabbies, Mudeyes, Gudgeon, various aquatic nymphs, an abundance of flies, butterflies, moths, beetles etc etc, it's easy to reach this conclusion.

If anyone out there would like to respond to this theory, that could either substantiate or disprove this, it would be hugely appreciated.

I really just want to get a better understanding of how TCD works, so in turn I and others that frequent the shores in search of that mighty Brown Trout or turbo charged Rainbow, will walk away successful, rather than disappointed and frustrated.

Edited by foolforjesus

I'm unsure if it is relevant to trout, but I can name a couple of instances that go against that principle.

On Sunday I landed a 72cm flathead on a 50mm soft plastic ... and removed a partially-digested 20cm baitbish protruding from it's throat! Several times I have removed carp and redfin from the throat of Murray Cod over the years. Redfin have had distended stomachs which provided to be full of freshwater yabbies, and yet they have hammered a spinnerbait.

Whenever this has occurred, I have always considered that fish must hunt with a 'feast-or-famine' attitude. They can't necesarily guarantee their next feed (particularly when their food source is a 'seasonal bait' like cicadas ,etc) so they gorge themselves whenever possible? I'll be interested to hear other Raiders opinions, partcularly regarding the wily old trout!

Cheers

Hodgey

hmmmm il also be very interested to see the raiders thoughts on this,

hodgey the flathead in my avatar pic spewed up a legal bream whilst trying to throw my hooks in the shallows,

could just be plain old bad luck too Chris,

however remember a couple of weeks ago when we fished in the rain allday how much worms and grubs we seen getting washed into the lake literally a never ending stream of worms and slugs and things,

this must be happening heaps lately with all the rain weve had so your old mans theory could be spot on,

plus all theyre usual aquatic insects and things they definately have a smorgasboard on their menu at the moment,

still have to give it a shot of an evening too and ive just received an order of some new flys mudeye patterns mainly from NZ we can try out too they look the goods.

maybe its time to get out the old brown trout coloured rapalas and try to entice some territorial strikes from the big browns.

I'm unsure if it is relevant to trout, but I can name a couple of instances that go against that principle.

On Sunday I landed a 72cm flathead on a 50cm soft plastic ... and removed a partially-digested 20cm baitbish protruding from it's throat! Several times I have removed carp and redfin from the throat of Murray Cod over the years. Redfin have had distended stomachs which provided to be full of freshwater yabbies, and yet they have hammered a spinnerbait.

Whenever this has occurred, I have always considered that fish must hunt with a 'feast-or-famine' attitude. They can't necesarily guarantee their next feed (particularly when their food source is a 'seasonal bait' like cicadas ,etc) so they gorge themselves whenever possible? I'll be interested to hear other Raiders opinions, partcularly regarding the wily old trout!

Cheers

Hodgey

what were you chasing with a 50cm softie hodgey lol moby dick

Thanks Hodgey, I hear what your saying.

My understanding has always been that Trout either are on the feed or not.

When they're actively feeding, you will see them. When they're off the feed they will lay low on the bottom out of sight and will sulk so to speak.

Plus my feelings are with such an abundance of food available to the trout at TCD, they don't have to go looking really or chase after their food.

I could be wrong, but that has been my understanding of how trout generally feed.

They may have a set cycle, a pattern though?

Interesting. Thanks for your input mate.

Cheers, Chris

Hi Lee, yeah I know, could just be a run of donughts.

Yeah all that food being washed in the Dam due to the rain, it kinda seems that there is too much food on hand to them at the mo.

The new flies sound good mate, and yeah I still believe striking the territorial instinct with a lure could be the ticket.

Be interesting to hear other Raiders thoughts.

Edited by foolforjesus

Had a Marine Biologist from QLD out on the boat a few years back

He had done a study on Tailor

He found that tailor would regurgitate the bait, so that they can eat more.

Ironicly. It was more previlant when they upsized the bait.

So

If the tailor go off the bite, Increase the size of the lure, or the size of the bait your using

Sorry this post does not answer the trout question.

Baldy

just been reading about trout in lakes down in SA,

theyve been tagging large browns and monitoring where they go throughout the seasons,

two things determined where in the water column the would be,

oxygen in the water and water temp,

too far down and theres not enough oxygen and too high up and the temps go up dramatically,

the sweet zone is water below 19 degrees with a minimum of 3ppm oxygen,

so it could be that its too warm now around the lakes edges,

wel see if it picks up in the next few months as the water cools.

Thanks Baldy, interesting and who knows if it's similar with trout. Be interesting to locate some real hard study data on trout feeding habits.

Hey Lee, Yeah the thermocline in the water level is where the fish will sit.

It's all different depths in TCD, although it says online the average depth is around 16 meters.

That's pretty deep, so if you can find the thermocline in that depth, you should find the fish.

Actually, it would pay to measure the depth of the spot your fishing with some kind of depth gauge.

You could then work out the right depth the fish are at by taking temp readings.

It's all a bit technical, but I think it would pay to try and get that kind of info.

Man who'd have thought fishing could be so intellectual!

That's fishing and that's what makes me go. If it was easy, I don't think I would put so much effort and time into it.

there so so many "it could be..." in fishing.....

For instance, up in Gladdy, session one. I get 2 hits and end the session on a donut.

Session 2, My mate Jas stops me, makes me watch his retrieval saying I'm lifting to much, from a horizontal rod, 9 oclock, i'd lift to 11-12oclock, he was from 9-1030.

First cast doing his retieve, I hook up!

TCD for us so far, cooler months have out fished the warm ones.

Winter they seemed to like a rip retrieve looking for a reaction bite, in this warm water we have had to slow right down to get any action....

I like ya thinking on the food thing but the food is always there....

Maybe they are only focusing on one type of food?

I know the bass minnow is outfishing the wriggler ATM, maybe they have turned to fish to eat?

one thing I was thinking, when the water level was lower, they were more concentrated, now being high there is more water with the same amount of fish.....

Also we have all seen the fish cruising the banks, I don't think the waters to warm as they are in such shallow water only 1m off the bank. This summers been so average with not many warm days at all, I know the salt hasent hit the usual 27degrees that it is usually sitting at at this time of year in the harbour. It's only been 23-24....

G

That's fishing and that's what makes me go. If it was easy, I don't think I would put so much effort and time into it.

there so so many "it could be..." in fishing.....

For instance, up in Gladdy, session one. I get 2 hits and end the session on a donut.

Session 2, My mate Jas stops me, makes me watch his retrieval saying I'm lifting to much, from a horizontal rod, 9 oclock, i'd lift to 11-12oclock, he was from 9-1030.

First cast doing his retieve, I hook up!

TCD for us so far, cooler months have out fished the warm ones.

Winter they seemed to like a rip retrieve looking for a reaction bite, in this warm water we have had to slow right down to get any action....

I like ya thinking on the food thing but the food is always there....

Maybe they are only focusing on one type of food?

I know the bass minnow is outfishing the wriggler ATM, maybe they have turned to fish to eat?

one thing I was thinking, when the water level was lower, they were more concentrated, now being high there is more water with the same amount of fish.....

Also we have all seen the fish cruising the banks, I don't think the waters to warm as they are in such shallow water only 1m off the bank. This summers been so average with not many warm days at all, I know the salt hasent hit the usual 27degrees that it is usually sitting at at this time of year in the harbour. It's only been 23-24....

G

Hey Greg, yeah I guess your right, the food is always available to them.

Apart from the likes of yourself & Rich, I don't know of any other Anglers that have had the kind of days you Guys have had.

My best ever day was about two years ago, and that was 4 fish.

You have made me realize something important though, maybe a large portion of their diet is the bait fish in TCD.

If that's true, and it seems like it could be down to the success you've had on the SP's, maybe they won't take a lot of everything else on offer.

Of course you'll get them on the fly, but it seems not in the numbers like on the SP's.

I think next trip up, I'm gonna try a Minnow style fly, and see how that performs!

Cheers, Chris

Yeah Chris, fish a fish pattern. I have tied up some smaller saltwater deceivers similar to a bass minnow for that purpose.

My waders have finally turned up so up to TCD real soon for the first time IN the water!

We all want to catch one of them trophys. Ya have to think a fish that big cant just live off insects. They have to be feeding on larger pray!

Small fish has to be the NEXT in line....

Greg

Yeah there is no doubt in my mind they eat the fish for sure. The Gudgeon & the fingerling trout, they hammer them for sure!

I need to get some waders too, going to in a couple of weeks.

Get that extra distance!

Edited by foolforjesus

Hi foolforjesus,

How's the new spinning reel going ?

I have found over the last couple of years fishing tommo's that it is either firing or dead. you can catch two fish in a hour or nothing in six hours. I have been twice now over the last few weeks for zip, it is a hard place to fish now with my fav spots down deep under water, not much bank left to walk on or rocky points. The water has risen about half a metre over the last few weeks.

Take this point into theory - the water volume at tommo's has almost doubled in the last year, that means the fish are much more spread out and harder to cross paths with your lure than before. If there was one fish per 50 square metres before now it would be one per 100 m square. I hope it gets stocked well now while it is full, when the water drops again to 50% in a few years the fish will be concentrated again.

Regards Daniel :biggrin2:

Hi foolforjesus,

How's the new spinning reel going ?

I have found over the last couple of years fishing tommo's that it is either firing or dead. you can catch two fish in a hour or nothing in six hours. I have been twice now over the last few weeks for zip, it is a hard place to fish now with my fav spots down deep under water, not much bank left to walk on or rocky points. The water has risen about half a metre over the last few weeks.

Take this point into theory - the water volume at tommo's has almost doubled in the last year, that means the fish are much more spread out and harder to cross paths with your lure than before. If there was one fish per 50 square metres before now it would be one per 100 m square. I hope it gets stocked well now while it is full, when the water drops again to 50% in a few years the fish will be concentrated again.

Regards Daniel :biggrin2:

Hi Daniel, you know I haven't been back to pick it up from the shop yet, still on lay-by :-(

Hopefully in a week or so I shall give it it's maiden voyage!

I hear what you saying mate regarding Thommo's. I've fished up there three weeks in a row now for three blanks, not a touch, with only one follow!

I've had tough runs in years gone by, but I guess maybe ive been spoilt of late, by catching a 5lb plus fish most trips.

Your right though, she's either firing or dead.

We might have bumped into each other? I usually head up most Saturdays.

I'll be sure to post once I get the reel.

Cheers Daniel!

• 1 month later...

Hi All , I was just wondering if they alow float tubers to fish this lake and any chance of me fishing with someone as my wife really doesn't like me fishing alone. Also is there anyone that travels to this lake from Sydney? I fly fished a lot in South Africa and since coming to Australia I have not fly-fished ( 6 years now)

Cheers

Adrian

My three trips to TCD to date have yielded:

First time - 4 rainbows between two of us, all around the 2kg mark. How long has this been going on we thought?

Second time - one brown about 2kg for me and two failed hookups right at my feet in brown water caused by the "shore dump". My mate only got to take photos that day!

Third time - one rainbow. Again around the 2kg mark

These trips were all in winter when the water level was well down and dropping I suspect (very muddy around the edges). We fished the western side and yes, it was cold! All the fish were taken in the afternoon/evening on black gold coloured squidgy fish with their tails dyed pink. A jighead around 5 grams was used, allowing a cast of about 20 metres. The fish were all fat and full of fight. Now that I'm not working full time, I'm planning a weekday trip or two this winter.

Has anyone had success lure fishing Wallace Lake? We have given it a workout too but resorted to fishing with powerbait after zeros on lures. We managed 7 good rainbows one morning while we sat back in the warm winter sunshine. Mind you, we began throwing lures around at dawn that day. The car thermometer gave a reading of minus 6 when we began. Every few casts we had to dunk the rod in the water to free the line from the guides! The trees on the lake edge were full of icicles - like fairyland. Eventually, sanity prevailed and we found a sunny bank to thaw out on while we soaked some baits.

Here are a few images from my archives.

post-4311-018360500 1337385916_thumb.jpg

post-4311-063170300 1337385792_thumb.jpg

post-4311-056162600 1337385847_thumb.jpg

post-4311-004372800 1337385881_thumb.jpg