how to cast poppers further?

Hey guys, i recently bought a dohhh popper lure, the only problem i had with it was that i could only cast 5-10m maximum. I have a 2.10 meter mojiko soft plastics rod from 3-6kg rating on it is a Shimano hyperloop 4000FB reel. I am using 10kg braid and 10kg flurocarbon leader. Do you guys have any tips on casting it further, could it be my lure is to small or too light??????

ty, brighton le sands

what does the popper weigh ?

i can cast a 1/8th sp jig 5-10m

if thats all your getting with a popper - then you need some casting lessons - check out youtube. A pic is worth a thousand words as they say

Easiest way to maximise distance is as follows:

1. Find out optimal cast/lure weight of the rod you're using, this should be printed on the rod above the top grip. (e.g. 5-10grams or 1/8-3/8 ounce)

2. Match the size of lures to optimal cast/lure weight. For greatest casting distance use a lure at the top end of the range. (e.g. on a rod rated 5-10grams, lures that weigh 10grams will cast further than those weighing 5grams)

3. Use the lightest possible braid that still suits the rod. So instead of the 10kg you're currently using GregL's suggestion of 3kg is more appropriate.

So light line + relatively heavy lure = casting distance.

Of course there's exceptions and it's no hard and fast rule but I've found it a relatively fool-proof way of increasing my distance (coupled with lots of practice). This method will also ensure that the lure is not too heavy to be worked properly by the rod, thereby increasing sensitivity and hopefully your hook-up rate.

Thanks for the advice. As for the 10kg braid i was actually ment to say 10bl braid.. sorry for that :wacko: I just measured my popper and its 35 mm long, for whiting and stuff like that... Then i compared the weight between a 1/8th jighead and the popper and the popper felt like it was half the weight. So now im thinking my popper might be way, way, way too light. And as for my rod it doesnt have any lure specifications, but it is very light,thin and made out of graphite, which probably means its designed for lighter lures. Maybe i should go buy a heavier popper for whiting????

Edited by brighton le sands

3 pound braid would be far better for that very small sized popper and no whiting on earth is gonna break it (though a 4000 size reel is too big for that line). That or a longer/heavier whiting popper (plenty guys take em on 65mm-75mm poppers/sliders). Or a longer rod. To be honest the whole outfit seems a bit heavy for whiting popping.

Edited by bombora