For big kings - dont trust Shimano baitrunner "d" series

the producer

I finally decided on a Shimano baitrunner B 4500 for my 30lb king setup.

Scored this for $185 with a Shimano rod (cant remember name) for $185.

Guy in store agreed they have had multiple failures with the D series baitrunner.

Also at this store they had a two hour fishing seminar with two pro's that I got a LOT out of, awesome!

PM me for details, or can I mention the store here?

Penn spin fisher, old school ones (while they where still made in USA) <--- the best reel for teaching newbies how to fish. why?? cuz they unbreakable!

i use my 2000 td sol, with kings, jews... no probs. does better than my other 4000 reel,.. yes, the 4000 would have no probs handling a bigger fish,, but i think cuz i have such a heavy setup on that combo, it gets touched less, and therefore my 2000 always ends up doing all the work

btw, i only use my 8000 spin fisher for beach fishing now.. sand.. no probs !!

Unlucky on the reels and lost fish, any gear failure sucks. Although 65lb braid in my opinion is asking too much from such a small reel. 65lb braid is more suited for reel of 8000 size.

Totally agree. Unlucky on lost fish, but 65lb braid is probably too much for such a small reel. Also baitrunner 4000D may not be big enough to fight hoodlum class in my opinion. 7kg drag is just not enough...

I'd say it has a lot to do with the fact that there is generally less that can go wrong with them. The reels have less moving parts, no pinion gear for instance, they don't have issues with bail arms getting bent in under load to the point that they drag on the spool, seen this many a time with reels loaded up or overloaded as the case may be, and overheads are generally speaking stronger reels better suited to that type of fishing. Personally I only ever use overheads for livies or spinning off rocks and chucking plastics in harbour for kingies, and i'm still using a Ambassadeur i bought 17 years ago ( upgraded all bearings and drag system). Never let me down and i'd be lucky to get 4 years out of any spin reel, mainly due to my dodgy maintenance schedule.

Let's face it spin reels are just for those who can't cast overheads :074: :074: :074:

Ben

You are aboslutely right :):thumbup:

Guy in store agreed they have had multiple failures with the D series baitrunner.

Also at this store they had a two hour fishing seminar with two pro's that I got a LOT out of, awesome!

30lb is a bit light for kings? unless you are targeting Rat kings.

We need to factor in that braid most of the times breaks more that double its rated, ive caught rat kings on 2lb playpus braid, but i use 20lb leader, if there is no structure or reef around otherwise off course no match. Just let them get tired they eventually come to the boat. Be aware though that the 2lb braid breaks around 10 pound. The problem i find using heavy braid is that i dont think i will use its full potental as the rod will break way before.

To set the scene I had a 4000, a 6000, an 8000 and a 12000D Shimano D baitrunner( i sold the 4000 and the 12000 on online shop, since)

About 6 months ago I hooked a kinghy at the wedding cake (Sydney) on the 6000D (IMO this real should be able to cope with a 80cm kinghy, easy)

This reel was nearly new, I dont even think i had caught a fish on it yet,,, I hooked a kinghy, half way throught the battle it stripped all the gears out,, i had to pull the kinghy in by hand with the line,,,,,( the kinghy was just undersize)I took the reel back to the shop where i bought it,,, the boof head there (mind you when i bought it this reel it came with a milllion yrs warranty and could pull the titanic off the bottom,,,so the shop assistant told me) he said "yeah but you had a kinghy on it that is a tough fish for that reel) anyway i took the reel back to Shimano in Taren Point,, they fixed it for free and where very helpful,,,,,,,,I will have the 6000 and the 8000 on online shop shortly,,,I dont trust the D series, one bit.....( imagine you paying out money for latest and greatest gear only to have it fail on your first kinghy??????,,,,DONT BUY A D SERIES BAITRUNNER!) I have MANY B series baitrunners and have never had a problem or this problem with them,,,, i am just an everyday user,,,, not against or for Shimano,,, just telling it as it happened

The problem isn't the reel in this situation. No reel can take that kind of abuse. I remember an episode of Rex Hunts Fishing Adventures where he stripped the gears in a tiagra cranking in a double tuna hookup. No matter the reel, if you just crank it and don't pump and wind you can easily break your gear. And a 4000 sized reel with 65lb braid for big kings. That's like towing a 25ft glass boat with a Nissan Micra!!!

I've also got the 4500B loaded up with 50lb braid, and it use to be my kingie setup, you'll get away with it for kings up to around 85cm, anything bigger will be tough! and I have been smoked in the past by these bigger models. These days, my rig are the saltist and saltiga combos, and possibly a stella in the pipleine, just got to convince the :wife: hehehe

I still use a few 3500 B series BR for botany bay kings and Jews..loaded with 30lb I have landed them close to 1m... I would get another B series over the D series anyday, great time proven reels..

for offshore work and jigging.. I use a few Stella and z series saltiga with pe5..puts plenty of hurt on 20kg+ kings!

Edited by dhype

At the end of the day what works for one person wont work for the next.

I find 30lb on almost locked drag with 60lb quality leader will turn most kings.

Lets not forget its the structure that kills you with the kings.

If you cant turn them quick enought then even 200lb line wont help you on reef.

My 2c, lets discuss :biggrin2:

Oh if I could afford a Tiagra or a saltist i would buy one.

To date just buying the best gear i can afford......and so far so good!