Anyone else having a go in the Pirtek Fishing Challenge?

GORRRN

Just wondering if there are any other Fishraiders who have signed up for the Pirtek Fishing Challenge.

Seemed like a good excuse to go fishing (not that we need an excuse lol) and if weather is nice should be a fun day of fishing.

Tempted, I think I have a wedding that weekend (not mine thankfully...) so might no get much fishing done. Still, $20 to charity and you get a brag mat...

I thought that, it's not a brag mat like you'd buy in a tackle store, more like a laminated sign, should last a few mths though. The hats pretty good.

I've entered :) not hoping to win any of the PB challenges though... might try my luck with the mystery length/ chance draws. Great cause, great cap and nice brag mat (just laminate though).

Any predictions on species?

I think last year it was flatty, whiting and tailor. You would assume flatty is always going to get picked, will be interesting to see what else they choose keeping it to common species because of the land based / family entries or if they will chuck something different in there for the more hardcore fisho's lol (Thats for NSW though)

Edited by renegade40d

They should add trout too for those inland. Just about the right time for some big browns...

How far inland are you talking? Because they have a section for each state, and they also have another one for the Murray-Darling Basin, which will be allocated 3 species so you never know.

Edited by renegade40d

Well if you're from the Bathurst area say, if you want to catch whiting, flatties or bream you have to travel 2 hours minimum. If you're from Dubbo then it's a fair bit further still. They'd have to make allowances for this and put in some freshwater fish...

I'm in as well my first comp looking forward to it. I also spoke to Admin about us having our own comp next year within the fishraiders all we have to do is post up a picture with the number that we were sent from Pirtek. Also I was thinking we could do the same as run a fishraider comp every 3 months or so and just email out a number and what type of fish I would be happy to run the competition.

Steve

Well if you're from the Bathurst area say, if you want to catch whiting, flatties or bream you have to travel 2 hours minimum. If you're from Dubbo then it's a fair bit further still. They'd have to make allowances for this and put in some freshwater fish...

https://pirtekfishingchallenge.com.au/murray-darling-basin/

As i mentioned in my previous post, it is done via state, then they have a seperate area which is the murray darling basin (this would cover bathurst / dubbo etc) and this area has its own species. Catch is you cant enter a fish for both your state prize and the murray-darling basin prize. So i don't know if there would be a huge need to pick a fresh water species in the state species list. I hope that makes sense.

Is Bathurst area really in the Murray-Darling basin catchment? I thought most of it went east into warragamba...

Not really sure how far it actually extends but according to that map yeah.

They say this

Fish eligible for the Challenge can be caught in any river or tributary flowing into either the Murray or Darling Rivers. To simplify any public river, tributary or creek that flows west of the Great Dividing Range and eventually into the Murray or Darling rivers is permitted.

So basically thats your fresh water covered.

I'm in, stuck on the shore do hopefully something the species are flathead and bream going to be around the Brooklyn area idk if it's going to be any good but I'm giving it a go haha

Was hoping bream would be in there, but oh well. Give it a crack and hopefully catch a few fish, doubtful we will get anything close to top 3 worthy but should be fun.

Interesting and frustrating day on the water, brother and I both landed 3 flatties each, and both hooked up another 3 or 4 each and had them spit the hook close to the boat, a couple of them were heavy fish to, anyway thats fishing though. Best fish for me was a 51.5cm flattie which is also my PB flattie lol so cant complain to much about that.

Saw a few people out there with the Pirtek hats, and also saw a few of them with keeper nets with fish in, which isn't really in the spirit of the comp. And we saw one of those boats back at the boat ramp cleaning 3 flatties, and to make things even worse 1 of them would have been lucky if it hit the 30cm mark.

Edited by renegade40d