Old But New

denzor

Gday,

I purchased a Haines Hunter V133 from a mate intending to transform the boat into a Bream Tourno Boat, my mate is a boat builder by trade and thank god I have him as a mate!!! we have thought long and hard about this project and also ensureing the boat will fish well and not compramising safety and stabillity we have come up with this so far........

post-18600-083630300 1333324335_thumb.jpg

post-18600-082240700 1333324352_thumb.jpg

post-18600-085901700 1333324364_thumb.jpg

post-18600-059711500 1333324383_thumb.jpg

post-18600-018762800 1333324403_thumb.jpg

post-18600-092818500 1333324417_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Battler

Hi, looking great and keep the pictures coming please as you and your mate progress. I wish the Haines Hunter factory would revive this old girl because what you have there is one of the best,if not the best riding hulls ever made for its size and what you have done is converted her into a modern fishing weapon.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

• 2 weeks later...

G’dayRaiders,

Hereis some more progress, Glassed in the front and back cast decks, we have alsoplumed the live well and moulded a mount for the electric.

This weekend we hope to have the gunnels tapered down to the deck and flip theboat over and prep it for paint. The order for all hinges, locks, lights etc.has arrived this will help us get the job done quicker.

Thetwo storage units under the back platform will be a dry storage for phones and wallets,and the other side will be for plastic tackle containers.

Startlooking at 50s to put on the back….. pretty sure I’m going to go for a tohatsu2 banga.

Cheers Dennis.

post-18600-026241000 1334893895_thumb.jpg

post-18600-027397900 1334893910_thumb.jpg

Hi, looking good and she will be a great fishing platform once done. One word of advise, I would want to make sure there is a money back guarantee on that outboard because they are the same as the LW 40HP Mercs, with different carby jets and venturis and we have sold plenty of these engines over the years and nothing really wrong with them but they are not that powerful and on that deep vee hull, with the gear and load you will carry, it will not perform that well with that outboard IMO. Only thing going for it is its weight-they are light due to small gearboxes and components that do not lend themselves well to out of the hole performance.

Cheers,

Huey.

I have a Haines V146c that had a 70hp 2 stroke. way too overpowered for the boat but geez it went. given the outboards these days, i would go for a 3cyl 50hp as the ideal size. i think even the 40hp are 3cyl so should have plenty of grunt for holeshot.

Hi, looking good and she will be a great fishing platform once done. One word of advise, I would want to make sure there is a money back guarantee on that outboard because they are the same as the LW 40HP Mercs, with different carby jets and venturis and we have sold plenty of these engines over the years and nothing really wrong with them but they are not that powerful and on that deep vee hull, with the gear and load you will carry, it will not perform that well with that outboard IMO. Only thing going for it is its weight-they are light due to small gearboxes and components that do not lend themselves well to out of the hole performance.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey, Appreciate your feedback i understand that 40s and 50s are virtually the same block and the only differences is you will loses a bit of your top end speed, question rough how much would a merc 4 stroke in a 40 set me back in a tiller and electric trim?

Thanks Huey, Appreciate your feedback i understand that 40s and 50s are virtually the same block and the only differences is you will loses a bit of your top end speed, question rough how much would a merc 4 stroke in a 40 set me back in a tiller and electric trim?

Hi, I would fit a 50HP carby Tohatsu every day of the week over any 40HP 4-Stroke on such a boat with the extra weight you have added. Any brand, I do not care which one you want to pick, of 40HP 4-Stroke would really struggle to push such a boat thru the water and if loaded down I doubt it would even plane and if it did it would be running everywhere at WOT. If inital buy price is the main factor then the outboard you mentioned would be a good choice, but as I say to everyone, the buy price is only a very small factor of the complete ownerships costs and when servicing, fuel and niceness are factored in dirty engines can cost more than clean engines and come resale the clean engines will hold its value mauch better. PM me and I will give you what I would fit if this was my boat and why. A tiller 40HP 4-Stroke Merc is around $7K for basic rope start upto $8,500 for forward steer with P/T/T but again it would way underpowered on such a boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

here are some more pics....... Quick question I was looking at the Lowrance elite-5 DSI with GPS I think this is a great unit and would help me on the water with the DSI system but for around $950 does anyone think I should go something different????

Cheers

post-18600-045010200 1335492474_thumb.jpg

post-18600-065428600 1335492535_thumb.jpg

post-18600-050528600 1335492607_thumb.jpg

post-18600-033507700 1335492680_thumb.jpg

post-18600-007707300 1335492736_thumb.jpg

Hi, looking better by the day and she will sure have some wieght in her. As for the sounder, I have used the Elite and the DSI is good, but if I was you I would buy a HDS-5 gen 2 and save your pennies and if not from the start but latter are structure scan that not only is DI but side imagining and if you get Gen 2 you get structure map that is a step above anything else at present. Yes it will cost more, but be worth it in my opinion and you can use the HDS-5 fine, which is a far superior unit to the Elite, untill you can add structure scan.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

We will have the boat painted this weekend!!!! on the strait and narow now, bought the electricand and sounder and will have the donk in a few more weeks!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Well done on the progress. If it were mine, it would be a 5 week project spread over 5 years!!! I barely have the time to fish anymore. Good luck and don't stop till it's done.

Guest Aussie007

HeyGuys,

Thought I would show off the new paint job, it’s been wet rubbed and looken prettygood :thumbup:

top stuff thanks for the pictures :biggrin2:

• 2 weeks later...

HiGuys,

Been a bit busy of late but the top side has all been blended in and the firstcoat has been sprayed, got a few more spots to fill but should start to seesome progress now and hopefully ready for some winter Bream Fishin ( note to self if I am going to dothis again please have the boat ready for summer next time)

I purchased a Watersnake 55lb bow mount I could not say no to the price I sawon Motackle!!! Also done alot more homework and decided to go with thehumminbird 597ci hd di combo also got a great deal on that.

Here is the latest Pic

post-18600-011877200 1338354362_thumb.jpg

Guest Aussie007

the battler have u taking the boat down the river to dunk it yet to see how low it will sit without anything added? u wouldnt want to do a complete fit out go down the river put it in and it sinks :1yikes: