game fishign gear advice needed

hey all,

i have a dilema going on in my head at teh moment..... a good friend of mine has jsut bought a brand spanking new bar crusher 670c, him and i have the idea that we will be doing some light game fishign out of it.....

now i dont have any game fishign gear at all....

so i am looking at a few options, but i would like to know what is a good entry level game rod and reel? i love the look and reviews of the tiagras, but i dont like the price tag.....

i know you get what you pay for so i dont want somthign cheap and nasty...... any ideas?

admin, if this post is against the rules, please just delete it.....

cheers

Big question is "Light game?" What do you intend to chase?

Yellow fin then 15 kg line with TLD 30-50 or 30/30w Tiagras with suitable rods.

You can get these reasonably cheaply second hand.

Marlin then with less than full experience then TLD 50 or Tiagras in 50 (15kg line) or 50w with 24 kg line.

These reels are expensive but will last a life time with a good maintenance and cleaning system.

You can get cheaper reels and even top line spinning reels but if you look at the top boats around check what gear they run and ask them why.

I believe the new Penn Makaira are getting good reviews but I have not had any experience with them or spoken first hand with someone that uses them.

I have 50w and 80w tiagras but have not been using them as the boat I fish on has a good cabinet of reels running line from 10 kg to 24 kg. We fish 24 kg on tiagra 50 reels and have not had any issues on line capacity on the general run of Striped and Black marlin.

Cheers Rowan