ET sea sick tablets

luvbigfish

gday fellow raiders

today i was doing a job over at Caringbah and decided to try out these ET seasick tablets that ive heard good feedback from for my daughter whos 9 and keen as mustard to come out with me fishing , but was told by the chemist that they are recommeneded for 12 years and older because there stronger than normal seasick tablets , but also told me that it was up to me whether she could use them or not , my question is has anyone else who has children younger than 12 used these ET seasick tablets on there kids? i ended up buying them and my daughter wants to try them out this weekend , but im not sure if i should ?. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers paul

Buy a product from your pharmacy called Seabands. They are a wrist band worn so not a medicine to take. I've used them and they work great for me. My wife used them while she was pregnant and it lessened her morning sickness to a large degree as well. Make sure you position the "bubble" in the correct place and try moving it around slightly till you get good results. I found placement of the bubble was about 3 fingers down from your wrist and in between the 2 tendons you see when you look at the front of your hand. Should have diagrams in the pack. Good luck, but you shouldn't need it.

Jim...

Buy a product from your pharmacy called Seabands. They are a wrist band worn so not a medicine to take. I've used them and they work great for me. My wife used them while she was pregnant and it lessened her morning sickness to a large degree as well. Make sure you position the "bubble" in the correct place and try moving it around slightly till you get good results. I found placement of the bubble was about 3 fingers down from your wrist and in between the 2 tendons you see when you look at the front of your hand. Should have diagrams in the pack. Good luck, but you shouldn't need it.

Jim...

thanks for he reponse jim , ill go tomorrow and give it a go :thumbup:

cheers paul

• Like 1

I to have just purchased these ET capsules, and they work. I've tried everything with no luck but these r good. My wife takes them as well and it helps her to.

As for my son who is only 8, we give him the travel calm. 1 table it recommends for his age, and so far it seems to work for him. We also tell him that it's not really rough as it was when we first took him out. Tell him to stand up not sit, and we go out more in the afternoon so he has a full stomach of food he eat during the day. And it seems to be going good. Touch wood. (btw rough for us is 12knots :huh: as we r new to boating)

scopolamine,hbr,chlorpheniramine 10 cap , caffeine ginger 0.2mg 2mg...if that makes any sense????? :wacko:

Scopolamine is another name for hyoscine, the active ingredient of Kwells and travelcalm. Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine found in some cold and flu tablets and caffeine and ginger everyone knows of. Kids over 2 are able to take the hyoscine, but the dosage is half what adults take for a child your daughters age. The chlorpheniramine is available for kids in cold and flu preparations and the maximum dosage for your child is the same as an adult. the ginger isn't an issue unless she has an allergy, and the caffeine should be ok too.

So, Kwells is a better option for your child in my opinion as it's definitely fine for kids at the right dose. But if you want to try the ET tablets then don't use more than half the recommended adult dose otherwise you're a risk of giving her too much hyoscine.

And don't bother with the wrist band. A much cheaper option is to giver her a tic tac and tell her it's medicine that'll stop her sea sickness. It's exactly the same principle as the wrist bands, you're just not being exploited...

Edited by abecedarian

Scopolamine is another name for hyoscine, the active ingredient of Kwells and travelcalm. Chlorpheniramine is an antihistamine found in some cold and flu tablets and caffeine and ginger everyone knows of. Kids over 2 are able to take the hyoscine, but the dosage is half what adults take for a child your daughters age. The chlorpheniramine is available for kids in cold and flu preparations and the maximum dosage for your child is the same as an adult. the ginger isn't an issue unless she has an allergy, and the caffeine should be ok too.

So, Kwells is a better option for your child in my opinion as it's definitely fine for kids at the right dose. But if you want to try the ET tablets then don't use more than half the recommended adult dose otherwise you're a risk of giving her too much hyoscine.

And don't bother with the wrist band. A much cheaper option is to giver her a tic tac and tell her it's medicine that'll stop her sea sickness. It's exactly the same principle as the wrist bands, you're just not being exploited...

cheers m8 , makes perfect sense and appreciate your feedback (tictac) :074: , ill try her out on half a capsule and hope it works for her , she hates getting crook outside and hopefully soon ill be putting up a post just for her :thumbup:

cheers paul

gday fellow raiders

today i was doing a job over at Caringbah and decided to try out these ET seasick tablets that ive heard good feedback from for my daughter whos 9 and keen as mustard to come out with me fishing , but was told by the chemist that they are recommeneded for 12 years and older because there stronger than normal seasick tablets , but also told me that it was up to me whether she could use them or not , my question is has anyone else who has children younger than 12 used these ET seasick tablets on there kids? i ended up buying them and my daughter wants to try them out this weekend , but im not sure if i should ?. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers paul

Hi Paul

Best to consult your pharmacist and or local GP. If it says not for kids under 12 then there is a good reason.

I am a Registered Nurse and I have seen many cases of drug interaction etc - the people who give advice on forums regarding diagnoses and medication are sometimes ill-informed.

Sorry guys, be careful with such advice. We do not know people's medical histories or what other medications they are on that may have disasterous effects if mixed.

Just reading the list of contraindications and warnings makes me shudder if certain people were to take these preparations. You need to consult with the head pharmacist at the compounding chemist.

Keep the advice to a minimum and best to just quote your own experience.

Hi Paul

Best to consult your pharmacist and or local GP. If it says not for kids under 12 then there is a good reason.

I am a Registered Nurse and I have seen many cases of drug interaction etc - the people who give advice on forums regarding diagnoses and medication are sometimes ill-informed.

Sorry guys, be careful with such advice. We do not know people's medical histories or what other medications they are on that may have disasterous effects if mixed.

Just reading the list of contraindications and warnings makes me shudder if certain people were to take these preparations. You need to consult with the head pharmacist at the compounding chemist.

Keep the advice to a minimum and best to just quote your own experience.

Donna is absolutely right, the ET tablets at half dose are probably ok in a child with absolutely no issues on no medications, but even then I'd advocate going for a more certain and safe option available at your pharmacy. You don't want to take any risks with any kids, let alone your own. So take Donna's advice, go to your pharmacist or even better GP and get the right stuff instead of forcing a square peg through a round hole.

Edited by abecedarian

Jim...

I reckon they are crud. It's all your brain thinking its good and working. But probably shouldn't have said this now u will think negatively hahaha

hey....what ever works.

As a pharmacist the placebo effect is very real.

I once had a Dr ask me to label some little white tablets (Vit B1) as "The Sleeping Tablets"

They were the best sleeping tablets that, that particular patient ever had. She had been taking some serious stuff beforehand !!

Jim...

hey....what ever works.

As a pharmacist the placebo effect is very real.

I once had a Dr ask me to label some little white tablets (Vit B1) as "The Sleeping Tablets"

They were the best sleeping tablets that, that particular patient ever had. She had been taking some serious stuff beforehand !!

Jim...

There's no doubting the placebo effect, it is very real and has to be controlled for in every drug trial. But you have to wonder just how moral it is to charge money for it. The ethics of what you and the doctor did in itself is questionable, albeit with good intentions. But I bet you wouldn't have been so happy to dispense your "sleeping pills" if the doctor told you he was charging her $40 a prescription for it.

To make profit from some treatment that has nothing going for it other than a placebo effect is simply unethical.

Edited by abecedarian

what ever spin you want to put on it, that patient ended up in a lot better position than where she was heading, so in my books it was well worth the exercise.

Now to get back on topic

Jim...

Honestly their is no need for them at all, if you start a kid on them at 12 then for the rest of their life they think they need tablets. Train em young on no tablets. Basically its all in the brain, if you think your going to get sick you will. Yes when i started fishing wide like 180 nm out to sea, would be crook for 12hrs straight, started to take the tablets then weened of them, for the last 10yrs never been sick at sea and just laugh when people pop pills, because they bring it on themselves. Eat well, drink water and dont think about it. Its really quite simple.

what ever spin you want to put on it, that patient ended up in a lot better position than where she was heading, so in my books it was well worth the exercise.

Now to get back on topic

Jim...

Yes I agree Jim. I have administered way too many pills over many years of practise and have seen the excellent patient outcomes using placebo treatments. Definately a place for them. Ethically speaking ummmm take that to the ethics committee :biggrinthumb:

We are right :offtopic: here. Go to your friendly pharmacist and/or doc and get their advice!

I will close this topic and members can do a search for sea sickness on fishraider and read through the dozens of topics started on this subject over the years.