A month in review

Hodgey

G'day all,

March was a month of drenching rains and volumes of fresh water pouring down Brown Mountain and into our little estuary. A drop in salinity levels and the appearance of chocolate coloured water laden with floating debris is enough to deter bait and lure fishos alike. :ranting2: Over the last couple of years this has been a regular occurrence, which has meant a major re-think when chasing fish.

Whilst the water was at its dirtiest, we spent a lot of time targeting deep holes in the hope the water would be saltier. As you can appreciate, the current has been ripping through these areas, making lure fishing particularly challenging. A couple of weeks ago I fished one of these deep holes, and accounted for these EP's:

post-3198-056292600 1333527589_thumb.jpg

post-3198-077046400 1333527608_thumb.jpg

The last 2 weeks has seen a significant improvement in water quality (particularly close to the entrance) and some better quality fish have started to make an appearance up river. Once again though, the strong current determines where and how you fish. An hour either side of a tide change appears to be the key at the moment. An 80mm wrigglers cast into a back eddy last weekend produced this fish. The photo doesn't do it justice ... it was incredibly fat and was a real handful for me in the shallows!

post-3198-089081600 1333528043_thumb.jpg

Saturday was a day of mixed fortunes. A large seal decided to frequent many of the areas we were fishing, often surfacing with a mouth full of mullet or tailor. For the first time in many years, we dropped a very big flatty due to line breakage. Deno salvaged the day (and a little pride) by landing this beautifully marked fish.

post-3198-064183800 1333528279_thumb.jpg

Topped off the day with 2 keepers (45cm and 53cm) for Good Friday :thumbup: The important lesson learnt to date though is to treat fishing like you would in Winter:

slow down

scale down lure size

lighter rod work when working the lure

My son is visiting over Easter so I hope things improve for him. Have a terrific Easter break everyone and stay safe on our roads and waterways,

Cheers

Hodgey

Good to see you & Dean still getting out there harassing those flatties - and EPs now too!! NICE EPs! That 40cm would have given you a bit of stick!!

Have a great Easter, Ian - give my love to your better half & the kids

cheerio

Roberta

Some quality fish caught in difficult conditions Skip. :thumbup:

Love the big EP. Couple of top flatties too (as usual)! Great pattern on Dene's flathead.

Good luck over Easter Skip. Hope you get a few when your son arrives.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS