Nepean River Rewards

Well fellow raiders, I must say that the past few weeks have been enjoyable enough chasing elusive trout on the Nepean!!!

Now, either I'm doing something wrong, I'm just a bad fisherman (not likely) or my luck is out...(the most plausible reason)but in the trout stakes(after about nine outtings with an investment of considerable time)I've hooked and landed a big fat zero, blank, BUGGER BLOODY ALL!!!

The start to this didn't go well... my first outing (as the river started to receed after the recent letting out of Warragamba)was marred by me loosing my iPhone at the Weir. All I can put it down to was the bag I was using has several pockets on it and I believe I left one open and hey presto my phone was history. $900 later and I'm now the proud owner of a new iPhone 4S that stays securely zipped in my bag!!!! Oh and if anyone reading this found my phone I would still like it back... it's no good to you as I had the IMEI blocked by Vodafone.

So I've hit the river numerous time since. I've hiked upto Glenbrook Creek and at least got a follow. Headed up the gorge with Searabbit only to help him lose one Rainbow and land a smaller model on hard bodies.(Rapal Style)Thursday last, I had a spare arvo so headed to the weir again. I was wading thigh deep in the downstream weir pool (outside of the exclusion zone) when a guy lobs next to me. Within about two throws he's on and lands a nice little rainbow of 30cm... my bloody trout me thinks!!! To top things off and add insult to injury when I inspect his weapon of choice (a small pink tassy) I discover he'd put it on back to front!!!! :ranting2:

THEN and as I fished away he disappears behind the upturned roots of the fallen She Oaks that litter the banks only to be interviewed by Channel Ten NEWS!!!!

(See here for his interview

)

I got chatting to this fellow and discover he was a visitor to our fair city of Penrith and this was his first trip to the Nepean... infact it was his first Trout ever!!! Good on ya Stacey!!!

Now to today... Easter Saturday. When I arrived just on 7am, the car park was packed, I headed down to the weir which was invaded by fishos. They were bloody everywhere!!! I headed for my possy; thigh deep in the middle of the weir pool and proceeded to throw an arsnal of different lures from spinner baits to tassies to hard bodies and back again. Different colours, patterns, sizes... do you think I could evoke a take? So I set off for the far side of the river and explored some areas that haven't been quite accessible till now... still no luck!!!

So I hear you ask... why the title "Nepean River Rewards" well along with giving myself some well earned R & R the past couple of weeks. The peace and quiet, being within one's own thoughts on the river bank with only the noise of the birds, raging water and the occasional train or plane to disturb is soothing to say the least... good for the soul. I've also not exactly come home empty handed!!! As a result of the huge influx of fishos on the river there is the spoils of their toils to be had!!! It's obviously some of these guys have dusted off the fishing gear and headed for the river... a little rusty maybe in the finese of casting and they're losing a swag load of gear in the process. To date I've given a new home about to ten lost treasures and donated only three... I've had to get wet to get them but then I reckon it's worth it... don't you? By my estimations I've found approximately $100 worth of lost tackle in a couple of weeks.

It just goes to show it's not all about the fishing!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

post-4461-082482200 1333785034_thumb.jpg

Here are most of my rewards for the last couple of weeks!!!!

Edited by PJ Garn

Great read, glad to hear I'm not the only one with donuts lately.

Have to agree its great just to get out, the Aussie lifestyle really is awesome.

Hang in there and be sure to post pics of the Nepean trout when you find it!

At least you've been getting out there and giving it a crack while relaxing!

P.s Few people will out-fish Mick (unless he gets sea sick! :1prop: ) If he was using his tassie "backwards" sideways or upside down, copy it!

I did the trek up ther emyself this morning threw all conceivable manner offlys at the runs for three herring! I think now thta the yhave had a good flogging the trout are pretty wised up an thinned out or bee nknockedon the head for the pan!

The remainder of the trout seem to be above the weir in the side streams and Warragamba a few may have run down to the Grose and up that stream! Worth a look! But all in all wait ill it cools right down and if any survive the onslaught of bait and lures after the Daily Tele report then dead of winter will be the bet otherise very early morning first light or on dusk when the heats out of the day! BTW I was th gut with red back pack fawn felt hat and fly rod. Still your right the morning was stunning and I am getting my game in the Turon next weekend!!!!! Thenits the mighty Eucumbene in May!

post-13322-084783600 1333801348_thumb.jpg

Hi PJ,

Thought i'd put a pic up for you. Get ready for a phone call soon so we can take my boat out on the Nepean. Went out for dollies yesterday and just for a laugh I caught one on my pink tassie devil. Yes of course I still had it on backwards.

Speak soon

Stacey

PJ

You now know 1 of trout fishing biggest secrets , the tassie devil backwards is a leathal weapon .It works even better that way with more action .The trout are there , early morning and late arvo is the go . Dont give up mate .

Don't worry about that I soon whacked on a tasy back to front and it didn't know if it was coming or going!!!!

Hahaha catch a crap? Sounds like bondi in school holidays! :)

Either a Freudian slip or I believe he means Carp!!!

post-13322-084783600 1333801348_thumb.jpg

Hi PJ,

Thought i'd put a pic up for you. Get ready for a phone call soon so we can take my boat out on the Nepean. Went out for dollies yesterday and just for a laugh I caught one on my pink tassie devil. Yes of course I still had it on backwards.

Speak soon

Stacey

Hi Mate

Thanks for the pic... just to rub it in eh?!!! Just wondering did you hook up on the Dollies with the Tassy?

Heading out tomorrow with my young fella for an early flick down the river... knowing how my luck is running at moment he will hook up and land a monster and he's only five... I'll keep you posted!!!

Let me know when you're up for a run up the river...

PJ

Hey PJ,

After I left the weir I went back to the tackle store and bought a few more Tassies (small and larger size) in pink and once I got out to the FAD I flicked the larger one straight at the FAD and hooked up in no time. Only a small undersize dollie though, nothing to brag about. Still good fun with my 3000 size reel with 10 pound braid. Let me know when the trout is firing up in the Nepean and i'll organise to come down with the boat.

Stacey

Where is the FAD at the weir?

How is the weather looking out at the weir today? ITs very gloomy in Liverpool not sure if i should venture out this afternoon or not.

Mate it's pretty hard to find with the naked eye... head past the weir, turn left at the third She oak and pace out 150 steps and you should be right on it!!! :074:

Well we hit the river again this morning!!! Arrived around 8.30am and the car park was packed... lots of dad's and sons out for a fish on a lovely Easter Monday morning! (Some dad's and daughter too). Me and the you fella headed downstream of the weir and found a nice unobstructed bank to cast from... a good practise area for you know who. We gave it about and hour and a half with no result and then headed back upto the weir.

I was flicking SP's around in the turbulence and hooked onto a small rainbow (probably under legal size) but I can now say my luck has turned and even though I failed to land the fish, I know there's always next time!!!

Edited by PJ Garn

Just got back from the weir and caught plenty of Bass but no trout in sight even tried some earthworms and tassie devil in pink backwards but no trout. Maybe will try on another day... We started off on top of the weir then got to the bottom and then past the little creek on the left where there is some calm waters....

:thumbup: Pumped to hear all the reports at Nepean...

A 30min drive to the Nepean beats a 1hr (on a good day) drive to Port Hacking...

Fortunately I haven't lost any expensive gear, but losing a Tassie the day after I bought it can hurt the pride a bit...

I need advice on rigging the Tassies up as I think my down fall is using the "Locked Clinch Knot"...I used the Tassie straight out of the pack without altering the setup, got it snagged on something, trying to "persuade" it out, and then felt that heart-dropping snag-release and light line...I'd thrown $5.95 into the Nepean...

Could I get some advice on best suited knots and rigs for the Tassies pleeeeeaaaaase...

:15:

A 30min drive to the Nepean beats a 1hr (on a good day) drive to Port Hacking...

Fortunately I haven't lost any expensive gear, but losing a Tassie the day after I bought it can hurt the pride a bit...

I need advice on rigging the Tassies up as I think my down fall is using the "Locked Clinch Knot"...I used the Tassie straight out of the pack without altering the setup, got it snagged on something, trying to "persuade" it out, and then felt that heart-dropping snag-release and light line...I'd thrown $5.95 into the Nepean...

Could I get some advice on best suited knots and rigs for the Tassies pleeeeeaaaaase...

You just have to tie the tassie onto your main line and add a treble , dont use the treble provided as it acts as a weight when they jump to throw the hooks , good luck

Big Al

Take a look at what I found yesterday in around 10 minutes... is your tassy amongest this lot???? I certainly have quite a comprehensive selection of lures in my kit now kindly donated by people like yourself. Cheers guys :yahoo:

post-4461-063289600 1334353332_thumb.jpg

With regards to tassy rigging... throw the treble and wire combo supplied with the lure in the bin or cut the wire and keep the treble as replacements for other hardbody lures when needed. Then set up as pictured... use a single hook around a size 4 (I like red ones for some reason) the problem with the wire supplied is it doesn't allow for the lure to travel up the line when a fish is hooked... the extra weight of the lure can be used by the fish to throw the hooks... hope this helps!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

post-4461-021397500 1334354173_thumb.jpg

Cheers

PJ

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah...

I'm gonna wait for the colder months to really start attacking the Nepean...plus most of the Tassie Devil lures that I'm after are all sold out at St Marys Tackle World and Australian Bass Angler in Penrith...may have to order them direct online...

Anyway, I went down last Friday to Weir Reserve, and I'd say due to the massive rain we had during that week, the path (about 20-30m past the actual weir) was flooded over again...

There were still people fishing back towards the bridge and rowing club, but I think it would have just been a "pity" cast for making the trip...regardless, didn't see anyone with any catches...

Went for a drive yesterday up to Warragamba Dam with my wife and stopped off at the bridge on Springwood Rd, Yarramundi and there were a few people there...again, nothing to really show for their efforts, but then again, the water was still moving relatively quick and it was about 1:30pm so I doubt much would have been caught in the heat of the day...

But if anyone's got more updates for the area also, would love to hear 'em...

Cheers,

Big_Al