!st Game Fishing Attempt! Help Need

brecko90

Hey raiders, just have brought myself a 5 metre alicraft and although at the time i never planed to chase game fish on it a few recent posts are starting to think maybe i should give it a go. So pretty much just asking if anyone could give me any advice lures, rigs, rods, bait, locations and tips in general that will hopefully see me land my 1st marlin. normally launch my boat next to the F3 bridge at brooklyn. if that helps anyone!

G'day mate,

The best advice would be make sure the boat is serviced and in good working order,have an epirb,life jackets and all the other safety gear.If you haven't fished offshore before try between the heads or in close for a while and get someone with a lot of experience in fishing out of a trailer boat to come with you.5 meters is pretty small so check the forecasts as the weather can and does turn ugly quickly.

Hope this helps,safety is the best tip.

Cheers,Brad.

G'day Mate,

Congrats on the boat. If you drive 30 mins nth up toterrigal and launch from there you will have a better shot of hitting game fish. The shelf isn't too far off terrigal, the ramp is pretty easy to launch from and safe and the bar is rather safe.

I caught my first marlin off 5m cc aluminum it's not so much the size of the boat it's the weather. Get a good day and go for it. But yourself some skirted lures and put in the time you will hook up.

Tight lines.

D

where do you begin... get yourself a couple of moldcraft widerange lures in a few different colours. tow em behind your boat at about 6-8 knots, pick a calm day with little wind and head about 40km east past the shelf , then head back in. make sure you have more than enough fuel.

thats the gist of it. There are fisherman have dedicated years of their lives and thousands of dollars before they were able to land their first marlin. so although the tips and advice here sounds straightforward, there are actually many vital steps in between which you will need to master.

my advice is to read and study as much as you can, talk to ppl who regularly chase gamefish, and most importantly get out ther and keep trying. the more you try the more you will learn.

If you have a look at Peter Pakulas website there's a section called 'between the lines'. It has chapter by chapter outlines of the common game fishing techniques, set ups, rigging, safety and so on. It's a good starting point for a beginner. Just keep in mind that many of the top boats use different techniques to those mentioned and will write some of them off completely. Anyway there's no bible on the sport and you'll just have to learn the different ways of doing things as you go then pick the ones you prefer for whatever reason.