Nepean River Easter Monday

Madden

Headed up the Neapean river late on Easter Monday with my brother in hope of a trout plan was to try lures into the evening and then surface poppers after dark for a bass. We trolled tassie devils and hard bodies up past Erskin creek without any luck and spoke to quite a view other boats doing the same who reported no trout today.

We managed to get up into the Warragamba arm and decided to soak a few baits while we contemplated our plan of attack and with in 10 minutes we hooked a trout and we had achieved our target species a Rainbow approximatly 30cms.post-12180-098579800 1334021157_thumb.jpg

We continued fishing baits with out any luck and then my brother pulls out an old pink coloured hard bodied lure that he said had caught him a few trout over the years and offered it to me to give a go, first cast and I was on felt like a massive trout with numerous runs and strong heads shakes, as the leader came up we couldn't believe our eyes at the size of the bass attached to the trout lure a few nervous net attemps later and we had her in the boat 55cm bass my pb to date by a long way, we took a few photos and released her to fight another day.

We gave the surface lures ago on the way back but no hits but we were still happy with our day catch. post-12180-098885900 1334023034_thumb.jpg

first cast and I was on felt like a massive trout with numerous runs and strong heads shakes, as the leader came up we couldn't believe our eyes at the size of the bass attached to the trout lure a few nervous net attemps later and we had her in the boat 55cm bass my pb to date by a long way, we took a few photos and released her to fight another day.

that's a bloody big bass!!!

great bass mate, he would have been a real handful,

what gear did you get him on?

2 to 5 kilo spin rod with a 1000 reel loaded with 10 pound braid and 8 pound leader, light drag and I hooked him in open water as I was casting for a trout.

2 to 5 kilo spin rod with a 1000 reel loaded with 10 pound braid and 8 pound leader, light drag and I hooked him in open water as I was casting for a trout.

mad i bet that was fun,

lucky you hooked him in open water which is unusual from my experiences.

I have fished the river for 39 years and that is the biggest bass :1yikes: i have seen photos off come out of the river , Well done mate .

Yes I have fished the Nepean around Penrith for 20 years and never caught or heard of one this size before, my best bass up until yesterday was 38cm.post-12180-086035800 1334053594_thumb.jpg