MIDDLE HARBOUR JEWIE! 96CM!

rjc123

Hey raiders,
what a day! I can't wipe the smile off my face! Heres how it went down!
Arrived at Roseville Bridge at 2:30 this arvo. Armed with live poddy mullet, mullet fillet and prawns i set up camp. Sent the livies out and had a flick around with lightly weighted prawns. After no more than 5 mins hooked onto a 36cm Trevally. Not massive but a PB for me. Over the next hour my mate caught around 30 tailor. Most were under size but a couple were legal. Put the legal guys in the livie bucket and around 15 mins before the tide change i chucked one out. Thinking positively i used the tailor on my heavier outfit with 50lb braid as i was near heavy structure. Literally right on the tide change (4:50) the Baitrunner came to life!! What an amazing sound it was. Gave him 10s then struck hard. VERY HEAVY! He shot off upstream and ran for a good minute or so. Then the fight began. After a good 6-7mins i got him in. Nervous times with my mate trying to put the lip gripers on him around oyster encrusted rocks. Finally got him up. What a feeling!! Measured him up to be 96cm. He was a bit ginger after the fight so i actually got in the water with him (probably suicide as its a bull shark hotspot...) and spent a couple of mins reviving him. Most would think thats crazy but i really respect these fish. I have spent so much time trying to catch one that i felt i had to put him back in the drink. He started to show some life and then swam off.

I would definitely sum this up as one of the bets moments in fishing for me!!!! Its also a little ironic how it left my hard earned poddies alone (looked after them at home for 2 days and spent 3 hours catching them..) and scoffed the tailor... Anyway, can't complain. Its also quite funny how J Hooked status came true and i thought i would say it too and i works!! Spewing that i forgot to include the can for COTM!!

Cheers, Tom

post-14949-077969000 1334045946_thumb.jpg

Edited by mulloway man

Hey raiders,

Arrived at Roseville Bridge at 2:30 this arvo. Armed with life poddy mullet, mullet fillet and prawns i set up camp. Sent the livies out and had a flick around with lightly weighted prawns. After no more than 5 mins hooked onto a 36cm Trevally. Not massive but a PB for me. Over the next hour my mate caught around 30 tailor. Most were under size but a couple were legal. Put the legal guys in the livie bucket and around 15 mins before the tide change i chucked one out. Thinking positively i used the tailor on my heavier outfit with 50lb braid as i was near heavy structure. Literally right on the tide change (4:50) the Baitrunner came to life!! What an amazing sound it was. Gave him 10s then struck hard. VERY HEAVY! He shot off upstream and ran for a good minute or so. Then the fight began. After a good 6-7mins i got him in. Nervous times with my mate trying to put the lip gripers on him around oyster encrusted rocks. Finally got him up. What a feeling!! Measured him up to be 96cm. He was a bit ginger after the fight so i actually got in the water with him (probably suicide as its a bull shark hotspot...) and spent a couple of mins reviving him. Most would think thats crazy but i really respect these fish. I have spent so much time trying to catch one that i felt i had to put him back in the drink. He started to show some life and then swam off.

I would definitely sum this up as one of the bets moments in my life!!!! Its also a little ironic how it left my hard earned poddies alone (looked after them at home for 2 days and spent 3 hours catching them..) and scoffed the tailor... Anyway, can't complain. Its also quite funny how J Hooked status came true and i thought i would say it too and i works!! Spewing that i forgot to include the can for COTM!!

Cheers, Tom

What a catch!!! great work and solid jewfish :thumbup::biggrin2:

congratulations mate that is a cracker fish to break your duck! dont underestimate tailor or fresh tailor fillets for jew bait I got one myself in middle harbour on a fillet on friday night, they are gun jew baits. my mate joe got one last year 54lb on a fillet also! welcome to the club your going to have many sleepless nights now as the bug has bitten you :074:

pete.

Awesome catch mate, congrats.

And yeah you never know what weird and wonderful baits they will go for, i had a super poddy on my hook on sunday, had him on there for at least an hour with no touches and he was still fighting me when i would bring him up lol. To the point where i am starting to believe he was fending off all the fish.

As for the tailor never look past a good tailor fillet, my brother caught one up at Stockton beach filleted it and sent a piece out, was onto a jewie within a 5 minutes. And we had been fishing that spot with pillies for well over 1.5 hours.

Well done Tom,

That's a very respectable fish and a highhly meritorious capture around such structure.

The only thing I would question is your sanity to get into the shark-infested water with a fish that is emitting major stress signals !

I get goosebumps just thinking about it...

Then again, for a fish-eater like me, to let go a cracker jew like that - I just couldn't do it, but kudos to you for letting the fish go and I hope you get a bigger one next time mate.

Tony

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm still thinking to myself, is this real? Did it actually happen? haha. I guess it was a bit stupid to get into the water with the sharks though.... he was a reasonably fat fish measured 96cm. Does anyone wanna have a guess as to what it may have weighed?

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm still thinking to myself, is this real? Did it actually happen? haha. I guess it was a bit stupid to get into the water with the sharks though.... he was a reasonably fat fish measured 96cm. Does anyone wanna have a guess as to what it may have weighed?

9.2 kgs :biggrin2:

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/weigh

Hey raiders,

Arrived at Roseville Bridge at 2:30 this arvo. Armed with life poddy mullet, mullet fillet and prawns i set up camp. Sent the livies out and had a flick around with lightly weighted prawns. After no more than 5 mins hooked onto a 36cm Trevally. Not massive but a PB for me. Over the next hour my mate caught around 30 tailor. Most were under size but a couple were legal. Put the legal guys in the livie bucket and around 15 mins before the tide change i chucked one out. Thinking positively i used the tailor on my heavier outfit with 50lb braid as i was near heavy structure. Literally right on the tide change (4:50) the Baitrunner came to life!! What an amazing sound it was. Gave him 10s then struck hard. VERY HEAVY! He shot off upstream and ran for a good minute or so. Then the fight began. After a good 6-7mins i got him in. Nervous times with my mate trying to put the lip gripers on him around oyster encrusted rocks. Finally got him up. What a feeling!! Measured him up to be 96cm. He was a bit ginger after the fight so i actually got in the water with him (probably suicide as its a bull shark hotspot...) and spent a couple of mins reviving him. Most would think thats crazy but i really respect these fish. I have spent so much time trying to catch one that i felt i had to put him back in the drink. He started to show some life and then swam off.

I would definitely sum this up as one of the bets moments in my life!!!! Its also a little ironic how it left my hard earned poddies alone (looked after them at home for 2 days and spent 3 hours catching them..) and scoffed the tailor... Anyway, can't complain. Its also quite funny how J Hooked status came true and i thought i would say it too and i works!! Spewing that i forgot to include the can for COTM!!

Cheers, Tom

Hey mate, firstly, congrats!! what awesome specimen!

secondly can i just asked whether you weigh your livie down with a sinker or just let it free swim? i find when im live baiting off of a wharf the fish swim right back at me if unweighted, which causes many a recast,

thanks dude.

Gilbey

Hey mate, firstly, congrats!! what awesome specimen!

secondly can i just asked whether you weigh your livie down with a sinker or just let it free swim? i find when im live baiting off of a wharf the fish swim right back at me if unweighted, which causes many a recast,

thanks dude.

Gilbey

Hey mate,

i've tried many different rigs. The one that i used to snare him was VERY SIMPLE. Just a 5/0 Octopus and a running ball sinker (size varies according to depth and current). Makes you feel a bit silly when you have spent hours mastering different types of rigs and you get the good fish on a 30 second rig...

Good luck!

My guess closer to say 8kg, good fish mate.................

err, it was an estimate .. 9.2 kg per dpi site .. that'll do me.

well done on a very nice jew mate ! .. isn't a 5/0 hook a bit small for a live tailor. where did you pin the hook ?