Squid - can you tell the sex of a squid

JET01

I went for a quick squidding session this arvo not far from my house... pulled out 1.9kg of squid in an hour. 700g of cleaned squid tubes, nice big dinner for 2!

Biggest (new PB) of 27cm (hood length). It pulled so hard i thought there may have been 2 on the end fighting over the jig.

As I wiping up the sink I noticed some small clear things that looked like clear pieces of arborio rice. I'm guessing they were squid eggs.

So my question is this. Is there any way to tell whether a squid is male or female?

Do we need to fish for them like we do for flatties and put the really big ones back?

Are there circuit times of the year where the females are more likely to be carrying eggs?

I've been squidding at this spot for a few months now and rarely walk away without at least a feed. So as I'm doing this a few times a week, I just want to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing.

post-12306-093326300 1334572194_thumb.jpg

post-12306-050552700 1334572218_thumb.jpg

post-12306-013541500 1334572236_thumb.jpg

post-12306-051147400 1334572253_thumb.jpg

Edited by JET01

I went for a quick squidding session this arvo not far from my house... pulled out 1.9kg of squid in an hour. 700g of cleaned squid tubes, nice big dinner for 2!

Biggest (new PB) of 27cm (hood length). It pulled so hard i thought there may have been 2 on the end fighting over the jig.

As I wiping up the sink I noticed some small clear things that looked like clear pieces of arborio rice. I'm guessing they were squid eggs.

So my question is this. Is there any way to tell whether a squid is male or female?

Do we need to fish for them like we do for flatties and put the really big ones back?

Are there circuit times of the year where the females are more likely to be carrying eggs?

I've been squidding at this spot for a few months now and rarely walk away without at least a feed. So as I'm doing this a few times a week, I just want to make sure I'm not doing the wrong thing.

post-12306-093326300 1334572194_thumb.jpg

post-12306-050552700 1334572218_thumb.jpg

post-12306-013541500 1334572236_thumb.jpg

post-12306-051147400 1334572253_thumb.jpg

your doing bloody good consistently catching squid and gratz on your new PB

You're not doing anything wrong.

Squid have a life span of around 12 months. They grow incredibly fast!

I have noticed that this is the time of year to get the bigger squid.

It's also the only time of year I've found them in roe.

I can't tell the difference between the sexes when they're caught.

Cheers,

Grant.

That's one nice catch jet01 I go to greenwhich wharf and get my squid there but they are monsters compared to mine haha do you mind sharing where you go even if you inbox me If that is ok with you please :) thanks and keep up the good work!

I've got a fishing comp on soon down at Bawley Point. Nice to know that I can start stocking up on bait now....

My :wife: going to be a little grumpy when she runs out of space in our freezer because there's too much squid in there :074:

When looking for squid, just look for kelpy weedy areas.

And as for jigs. I'm not convinced that the more expensive ones are better. I think it's all about getting the jig into the strike zone.

I spent $25 on a Yamashita jig once. Caught a few squid, but have caught just as many on the $3.50 Sure catch cheapo ones.

I caught the 27cm model on a goldy/greeny 3.5 cheapo. I was spewing because i lost it to the kelp beds a few casts later.

I had a blue jig with a fluoro green belly 2.5 size that i've never been able to get the squid to take. It pulled the next 3 in.

I've got a fishing comp on soon down at Bawley Point. Nice to know that I can start stocking up on bait now....

My :wife: going to be a little grumpy when she runs out of space in our freezer because there's too much squid in there :074:

When looking for squid, just look for kelpy weedy areas.

And as for jigs. I'm not convinced that the more expensive ones are better. I think it's all about getting the jig into the strike zone.

I spent $25 on a Yamashita jig once. Caught a few squid, but have caught just as many on the $3.50 Sure catch cheapo ones.

I caught the 27cm model on a goldy/greeny 3.5 cheapo. I was spewing because i lost it to the kelp beds a few casts later.

I had a blue jig with a fluoro green belly 2.5 size that i've never been able to get the squid to take. It pulled the next 3 in.

I bought a 2.5 orange yamashita squid jig for $16 and has not let me down at all I also have a few cheap ones that work just as good so I have to agree with you on that one mate I also have a yozuri one in pink still does a good job but nothing beats the sharp pins on the yamashita they are just perfect and you never miss unless you hit the weed bed haha but over all squiding is the best part of my fishing trip keep up the good work!

I bought a 2.5 orange yamashita squid jig for $16 and has not let me down at all I also have a few cheap ones that work just as good so I have to agree with you on that one mate I also have a yozuri one in pink still does a good job but nothing beats the sharp pins on the yamashita they are just perfect and you never miss unless you hit the weed bed haha but over all squiding is the best part of my fishing trip keep up the good work!

I primarily use yamashitas and have several different colours and a few cheaper ones that I have come across that have caught my eye, tested over a squid or 3 and if they hold together they are just as good by me. The problem I find with cheaper jigs is the material starts to peel away underneath at the seam. I have never had this issue with yamashitas and have a few which have been absolutely savaged time after time with little diamond shaped incisions all over them and they hold on like always. Squid hunt off vision sure but they can also taste and smell. If you superglue one of these failed at the seam jigs it seems to put the squid off also. I have tried it once, I was hooking squid on one of the same jigs as the one that fell apart (I purchased 3 of them online) so I figured I give a repaired one a go to test it. The squid would come right up to it, expand their tentacles then shoot away at blistering speed. I didn't do anything different with the retrieve they just wouldn't hit it. I put the other one back on and they would hit it.

So basically yes a cheap one will catch you squid but their quality generally leaves a bit to be desired. I do have a collection of cheaper ones which look the part but they generally only come into play when I am over shallow rocky/kelp areas and may lose a few. As far as squid jig technology and quality goes though you can't go past Yamashits and Yo Zuri. :thumbup: