Gee I'm SORBLE

PJ Garn

Hi Raiders

To say I'm SORBLE would be an understatement!!!

So I hear you ask what is SORBLE?

SORBLE is how I feel after today’s and recent trips to the Nepean River following the recent floods.

SORBLE is a result of all the attention given to our lovely little river by TV, print and online media.

SORBLE is me feeling so P'off that I visited the Penrith City Council offices on the way home to complain about SORBLE.

SORBLE is "SICK OF RUBBISH BEING LEFT EVERYWHERE"... I'm sick of it and I would imagine many of you would be too!!!

post-4461-066738300 1334644833_thumb.jpg

Now as a dedicated responsible fisherperson I take it upon myself to leave any location I visit the same or maybe even somewhat better than when I arrived. But unfortunately our river is experiencing an onslaught by ignorant outsiders, fisher AH's and one timers who have been attracted to it's banks with the lure of catching a trout!!! When they leave they leave their indelible mark by the way of tackle wrappings, bottles, discarded line, etc, etc, etc. Today I saw two packages of kiddie rods carelessly discarded on the banks, left obviously by people who don't fish too often... did they have a fishing license??? I bet not!!! :ranting2:

post-4461-032896200 1334644844_thumb.jpg

So I took myself off to the Council offices to complain. After the usual run around and the girl not sure if it was under their jurisdiction (rubbish in river is not but on the banks it is?) I was asked to put my complaint into writing to the GM of the council. Apparently another person had also complained this morning. I suggested that they need Rangers down there booking these ignorant people to discourage their SORBLE ways!!!

Raiders, I ask that if you are of the same mind as myself about this issue you leave a post supporting my stand... get your mates to post... let's get this post to go viral. I'm quite prepared to take this to the media and wake up everyone about SORBLE.

What I find amazing is that "Mother Nature" cleaned our river up only about a month ago and already it's back looking the same as it did before. We all need to do something to ensure places like this exist for us to visit and fish in the future. If we (Fishos) are not very careful the actions of those of us who create the SORBLE will spoil it for all of us (they already do) and places to fish will become off limits to all. :1badmood:

We all need to do something... support the SORBLE cause now. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

post-4461-041665600 1334644852_thumb.jpg

More bloody SORBLE!!!

Cheers

PJ

It never ceases to amaze me, a few years ago myself and some like minded people removed over 500kgs of rubbish from one sand Island in Swansea Channel on clean up Australia day, but I'm afraid I'm beyond sorble, I just hate the lazy pigs who leave it there!

Likewise with Oilies at Port Kembla, it's a shame that almost all the rock fishing spots suffer the same problem with rubbish. I don't understand people, if you don't litter in your own home why do it where you fish!

I am a dedicated Trout fisherman, and visited the river near the weir for the first time, for a look round with a local Mate of mine on Sunday arvo.

I must say I was pretty disgusted the amount of DANGLERS there trying to catch a fish.

All I saw was litter, litter, and more litter, and inexperienced people trying to catch a fish they are not worthy to catch.

A lot of people were there with children, which I think is kinda messed up.

That isn't what fishing is about, and if these young'uns are getting this kind of fishing experience as there first, then I kinda feel sorry for them, and hope they don't grow up repeating that kind of fishing massacre!

I expected to see a beautiful river, which at the weir was FAR from it.

I know up past the narrows it's gonna be beautiful. Shame that the weir has been spoilt.

It's a sad truth though, some not all, mostly DANGLERS, leave their crap on the banks where they try to catch a fish.

Some things will never change, it's a sad fact of life I'm afraid.

All we can do is do our bit to make the difference.

Maybe a volunteer clean up would be good?

Chin up!

Edited by foolforjesus

i've recently started fishing land based at brisbane waters, and was taken to a 'special' spot by a mate and there was another group of guys already there...

they were pissed and laughing and having a good time, but left around sunset...

we moved over to take their 'better' spot, and i remarked to my mate "geez, those guys musta been here half the day, but there isn't a trace of them being here!"

my mate replied that it was like that up here, "you gotta keep it clean"...

i mostly fish middle harbor, and often clean up some scraps, but nothing like in your pictures....

no wonder you are SORBLE, it would make me ANGRY!

how hard is it??? you buy bait - it comes WITH A BAG - use it for your RUBBISH!!!

mate I went down there and was disgusted myself, not only has it put alot of pressure on the trout and more so the bass in the system (especially around spawning time) but before the floods you could not fish up from the weir for 100 meters and down from it 25. I'm not sure if these signs disappeared in the floods but they are definitely not there, and I could nearly guarantee that any danglers who catch a fish are no doubt keeping them. I even saw a little dead bass just chucked on the bank. and all of this in a zone usually off limits to fishing.

absoulutely disgraceful on sunday afternoon, was a sad sight to see thats for sure,

i always come away from a fishing spot with other peoples rubbish and have cursed these fools many times over,

what can you do apart from pick up other peoples mess i just dont know, these people obviously have no brains and are most certainly not ANGLERS,

maybe fisheries need to increase the fines x10 or something for having no license and only allow fishing licenses to be purchased yearly instead of daily, i reckon this would stop all the occasional DANGLERS from destroying the places we love,

anyway pick up what yous can in the meantime people.

i've recently started fishing land based at brisbane waters, and was taken to a 'special' spot by a mate and there was another group of guys already there...

they were pissed and laughing and having a good time, but left around sunset...

we moved over to take their 'better' spot, and i remarked to my mate "geez, those guys musta been here half the day, but there isn't a trace of them being here!"

my mate replied that it was like that up here, "you gotta keep it clean"...

i mostly fish middle harbor, and often clean up some scraps, but nothing like in your pictures....

no wonder you are SORBLE, it would make me ANGRY!

how hard is it??? you buy bait - it comes WITH A BAG - use it for your RUBBISH!!!

Never judge a book............Always remember having a mid week live bait with a mate at The Ovens in late 70s. Two other blokes were already there and looked very punk. Mohawk on one, the other all spikey. My mate, a conservative fella, was immediately suspicious. Even said 'watch our kit". Anyway these two blokes decided to go, packed their rods, and collected every bit of rubbish on the platform, foul stinky old bait in rockpools included. They then hauled it up the cliff. Mate felt quite stupid.

Fish the nepean often too unfortunately I always pack a garbage bag in my pack and last weekend filled it to overflowing with beer bottles and terminal tackle wrappers this spot though has a rubbish bin nearby and it was empty go figure.

I've been down at Devlins Rd a few times this month and people leave their rubbish there by the water....with the rubbish bin is only 5 metres away if that!

Self serving idoits who think the rest of the world will clean up after them.

Edited by PSi

That river and those mountains are my home in my heart... It's a shame to see this but honestly I am not surprised. The average plebeian just doesn't seem to care about the impact their bit of rubbish has. I'm going to take this to a bit of an extreme here but this is the end result of alot of rubbish in storm water. I refer you all to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

Each small piece came from somewhere.

• 1 month later...

This is why I love fishing the deep little spots far away in the mountains.

I've been fishing the harbour the last few days, and so much rubbish around, and lots of old tackle everywhere

Good on you for wanting to take it to the media, but sadly they rarely do anything as it isn't sensational enough.

Oh how I can't wait to move out of Sydney again soon. I feel bad for you guys that can only fish places like that cause it makes it not as special.

In Kanangra creek we can drink straight from the water - that's how clean it is there!

Thanks for the post.

• 3 months later...

The goverment in connection with the local council of yankalila in Sth Aust built a new jetty at a place called Rapid Bay asthe old one was falling down and was dangerous.with in two weeks of it being open it was virtualy covered in rubbish,everything from disposable nappys to beer cans bait plastic bags. Rang the dept of marine and harbours only to be told that due to a shortage of insps there was not much they could do but would make a note of the complaint,that was 18 mths ago, was down there two weeks ago and found it to be tidy with no rubbish to be seen anywhere. Well done to those who took the time to clean up :thumbup: