A few decent Kings

fishmaniac

Headed out on friday last week with Jim77 to chase some kings at some reefs south of the hacking.

Our first mark was fairly uneventful with 3 hrs of downrigging resulting in nothing but peckers. We then moved to another mark which turned out to be structureless so we started heading home. We had one last stop and just as Jim and I started ranting about what a dud day it had turned out to be, Jim's rod buckled.

Hooked up and pulling line on heavy drag the hook pulls shortly into the fight...

We set up again and the fish continued to take a liking to our offerings of live squid and live yakkas. In about 2 hours we had around 11 strikes and landed 8 fish between 85 and 98cm with one rat.

post-6215-005437100 1334936386_thumb.jpg

post-6215-025412000 1334936396_thumb.jpg

Jim likes to leave his rod in the holder when downrigging whereas I prefer to hold it. A word of advice to those who like to leave it in the holder, make sure you have high quality rod holders (not that plastic rubbish that comes standard with most boats). The plastic one broke instantly under some pressure.

There are some good fish around, but you certainly have to do the time to find them.

Edited by fishmaniac

well done guys! that's a lot of time DR'ing but it paid off in the end, so good on ya for persisting.

In regards to the rod holders, I would even steer clear of the cheap SS ones. They twist all out of shape under load, go for the heavy duty ones that are welded all around the neck, they are tough as! :thumbup:

Edited by quintrex480

Just finished replacing all the plastic holders with stainless steel rod holders, it looks way better too! It is a bit annoying that some boat manufacturers don't use better quality fittings. You are paying big coin for a new boat, what is the extra cost to them? $40 wholesale - if that?

That was not us fishing the wreck, we were fishing inshore reefs in the 20m range.