No more squid! :(

zaki10

Went out the other night to flick my rod a bit try catch some squid I sat there for like 3 hours and I think due to the wether lately with all this rain the water is really murky and making it really hard or is it because of winter it has made our chances decrease? If anyone has an answer please do reply to this I want to see thoughts and if you are having luck don't mind if you share them round even if you inbox cheers!

i wouldn't say that they've all been quiet at all.

I've only been squidding for a few months now, but what i have noticed (especially in open water) is that water quality and swell conditions are major factors in the presence of squid.

When there's been a lot of rain and the water is full of weed and rubbish. No Squid.

I don't think squid are particularly great swimmers. The are sprinters and can move quickly over short distances, but are no good and maintaining position in fast current etc. So is there is a lot of water movement. No squid.

At my landbased spot. When the tide is high, there is small or no swell, and clean water with no rubbish in the water. You'll get squid.

Wait about 3 days after the rain. I went down to my spot yesterday to test my above theory. The water but churned up, there was a lot of debris (both weed and rubbish), the swell was about 3-4ft. Great for surfing, not good for squidding. Donuts as I expected.

If the weather stays clear over the weekend, i'll report back with a squid. Almost guaranteed.

When there's been a lot of rain and the water is full of weed and rubbish. No Squid.

it was low tide, and water was brown and dirty when I caught this one off the bottom on sunday in Long Bay:

it has been mentioned that dirty fresh water floats on top of the celar saltwater?

i didnt have a squid jig on me to see if there were any more.. but will next time!!!

post-22837-069420500 1335230908_thumb.jpg

I caught one sunday at 20cm one off Figtree point using 3/0 & pilchard strip...

Wow where is figtree point?

i wouldn't say that they've all been quiet at all.

I've only been squidding for a few months now, but what i have noticed (especially in open water) is that water quality and swell conditions are major factors in the presence of squid.

I don't think squid are particularly great swimmers. The are sprinters and can move quickly over short distances, but are no good and maintaining position in fast current etc. So is there is a lot of water movement. No squid.

At my landbased spot. When the tide is high, there is small or no swell, and clean water with no rubbish in the water. You'll get squid.

Wait about 3 days after the rain. I went down to my spot yesterday to test my above theory. The water but churned up, there was a lot of debris (both weed and rubbish), the swell was about 3-4ft. Great for surfing, not good for squidding. Donuts as I expected.

If the weather stays clear over the weekend, i'll report back with a squid. Almost guaranteed.

Thanks for the heads up mate much appreciated :) and looking forward to that report as well what area are you from if you don't mind me asking?

it was low tide, and water was brown and dirty when I caught this one off the bottom on sunday in Long Bay:

it has been mentioned that dirty fresh water floats on top of the celar saltwater?

i didnt have a squid jig on me to see if there were any more.. but will next time!!!

Where Abouts in long bay if you don't mind inboxing me?

Thanks alot for your help now is it safe to fish there are there any lights? Wharf what should I know before I go there if you don't mind telling me cheers :)