Easy spice marinade

joel.pringle

Howdy

I recently caught my first drummer, I hadn't eaten them before but had heard they went down well if bled and chilled, as I did. I was very lucky to recieve a second fish from the gentleman fishing next to me, meaning a good feed for my partner as well.

Which left me thinking, how to cook the fish? Bbqing fish the same way is getting boring, so time for something new. Drummer has nice, moist white flesh... what to do...

Easy. Fillet and skin the fish, and cut the fillets into about three chunks. One teaspoon coriander seeds, one of cumin, a teaspoon and a half tumeric, half a teaspoon ground ginger, a teaspoon of chilli flakes dry roasted breifly in a frypan. Scoop it into a morter are pestle, grind it all down. Add enough olive oil to coat the fish, place fish in a bowl, cover with the marinade and mix through. Leave in the fridge for at least half an hour, longer if desired (and patience allows).

Simply fry the fish quickly in a pan, serve with fresh, crunchy greens. Could also be prepared in smaller chunks and served on top of a garden salad.

A couple of notes; nothing was really measured, above is a general guide for two fish. Spices are interchangeable, mustard seeds also work well in the mix. Fresh garlic is great to add, just slice and add to the pounding mixture (don't roast first). Similarly, fresh ginger instead of ground. Replace the spices with a mix of herbs like rosemany and thyme, just make sure it gets a good bashing in the morter and pestle to form a mush. No dry roasting required for herbs.

This mix worked great with the white flesh of the drummer. Sorry, no photos. I was too busy eating by that stage.

Hrgh