Hoodie-less and Kings - 27/4

quintrex480

Hi Raiders, had the day off along with Formosan, and we decided to hit the bay to target, yes you guessed it KINGS.

Got our squid fairly quickly, ended up with 9 good size ones. I even got a decent rock cod on a squid jig, first for me :biggrin2: . Hit our usual spot outside the bay, and started downrigging. We saw a heap of activity on the sounder which was a good sign but after 3 passes, we didn't get a touch, but on our 4th, bang, we're on, and by the way it was stripping line off with 15kg drag, I knew it was going to be a new PB for me and this thing pulled hard!!! at one stage, I even thought I was snagged when being driven out to deeper waters.

We soon get it close to the boat and the leader is visible, but the downrigger cable on the spool decides to go belly up and wanted to make a nest for the gulls that were flying around so we couldn't get the bomb up. We see colour but still too far for a gaff shot, and it runs under the boat and rubs the line against the cable, and you know what happened next. :ranting2::ranting2:

We spent (well it was mostly Formosan :biggrin2: ) the next hour trying to untangle the complete mess of cable on the downrigger... started the passes again, saw some activity but they did not want to play anymore. So we decided to head inside to give it a go, in the next 1.5 hours we took turns hauling in kings from 75-85cm which was good fun, ended up with 8, and kept 5 for us and our families.

If you've watched the video I've posted last week, you'll know exactly the spot :biggrin2: sun was getting quite low so we decided to call it a day, in the end, not too bad, but I would of swapped them all for that 1 hoodie that got away.

So the kings are definitely inside the bay and the rats have definitely grown up, so definitely get out there and get em'.

Stay tuned for the video. :biggrin2:

post-16665-009581800 1335529039_thumb.jpg

post-16665-039602000 1335529055_thumb.jpg

post-16665-059541300 1335529072_thumb.jpg

post-16665-038993000 1335529090_thumb.jpg

post-16665-056716400 1335529106_thumb.jpg

Well done . AGAIN even with a big bust off it's still an impressive haul. You guys are the king, king fishers.

If you see a guy in a cox craft following you out on the bay don't be alarmed I'm just trying to stealing your marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shame about the hoodie mate. It would of been your PB. I saw it and was about to Gaff it then the leader gave way from all the rubbing. Get them next time.

Lots of ups and downs today At least the legals turn the a day around.

Here are some more pics and sounder pic of the kings we keep hooking up on. I say we left them biting again. :biggrin2:

Thanks for the kind words guys. We look forward to read some of your reports too.

post-7044-049920600 1335535239_thumb.png

post-7044-071802000 1335535262_thumb.png

post-7044-076033000 1335535280_thumb.png

post-7044-086157000 1335535297_thumb.png

Edited by Formosan

Top effort there boys.

I think I ran into you guys this morning. I was in my kayak. Anyway good to put faces to names. Just curious, what time did you get the kings?

Cheers.

Hey Spongy

So that is you in the yak at Bare island?

Got some balls around that bomby in a yak. :)

How did you go today?

Got kings between 2-5 pm.

Damn, you boys are the masters of the bay these days. Your strike rate on the kings are impressive. I was out there on friday too, but made the call to head out to the peak for a jig, only to be smashed by bloody jackets.

shoulda stayed in the bay. It seems like there are still plenty of kings around. Interesting to see water temps are at 19 deg on the lowrance.

Good stuff boys.

Dang

Edited by Dangas

Shame about the hoodie mate. It would of been your PB. I saw it and was about to Gaff it then the leader gave way from all the rubbing. Get them next time.

Lots of ups and downs today At least the legals turn the a day around.

Here are some more pics and sounder pic of the kings we keep hooking up on. I say we left them biting again. :biggrin2:

Thanks for the kind words guys. We look forward to read some of your reports too.

what type of sounder are you using?

Edited by Benzeenees

Well done . AGAIN even with a big bust off it's still an impressive haul. You guys are the king, king fishers.

If you see a guy in a cox craft following you out on the bay don't be alarmed I'm just trying to stealing your marks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks mate.

Formosan, make sure you find out what a cox craft looks like so we can keep an eye out for him :biggrin2:

Damn, you boys are the masters of the bay these days. Your strike rate on the kings are impressive. I was out there on friday too, but made the call to head out to the peak for a jig, only to be smashed by bloody jackets.

shoulda stayed in the bay. It seems like there are still plenty of kings around. Interesting to see water temps are at 19 deg on the lowrance.

Good stuff boys.

Dang

thanks Dangas, it's taken us a little while to get to get to where we're at now, and sometimes it's being at the right place and right time, and fortunately for us, it's been happening :biggrin2:

shame about those jackets, think we'll all be heading out there once the cold comes in, hopefully those pesky jackets aren't around then.

Top effort there boys.

I think I ran into you guys this morning. I was in my kayak. Anyway good to put faces to names. Just curious, what time did you get the kings?

Cheers.

Nice chatting to you to mate, and was that an ocean kayak you were in? I have one myself and I still haven't tested her out in the bay, been meaning too but it's just so much easier in the boat hehehe

where do you launch from?

Lowrance HDS5X

thought it was a Lowrance - image looks a bit similar to mine. Fishing in 50m I sometimes get a similar image, sometimes on the bottom, sometimes higher up. But I also get layers of blue, sometimes with kings in the layers. No idea what I'm looking at. I'll take some pix next time.

BTW, I've got the beeps turned on and find that very useful, esp when looking for yellowtail.