Jew on Lures

Wriggler1

Hey all,

I'm a new member here, been hanging around the forums for a little while but I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I live on the central coast and love all types of fishing but I have really caught onto the light tackle luring bug over the last few years. I mainly fish Brisbane Waters and Broken Bay but I venture out in the Hawkesbury and Pittwater on occasion aswell. Anyway, after reading Sol Bannura's book and watching a few DVDs on the subject of chasing Jew on lures, its fair to say I'm inspired to do the same. I've come across the odd small soapie whilst luring for bream in the rip area of Brisbane Waters but that's about where my experience ends. So I'm hoping that some of you guys on here may be able to help me out in my quest. In return for quality info I'm more than happy to share a few of my secluded little central coast bass locations via pm or give advice on luring bream as this is where my expertise lies.

However, before I go getting too excited, is it worthwhile targeting Jew in the Hawkesbury over the next couple of months? I'm more than happy to put the time in but I guess there's no point trying to refine your techniques on fish that just aren't around! I have formulated a bit of an idea on how to do things through research on the net and fishing magazines, so I'm hoping someone could clarify I'm on the right track: Tide changes are optimum feeding times for Jew especially when coinciding with low light conditions. Follow the tide changes up and down the river at proven spots until fish are located. Deep holes and man made structure such as rock walls and bridge pylons represent quality Jew hunting grounds.

Well if the above statement is correct then i think I'm halfway there, I've got a sounder for locating the deep holes (aswell as Navionics on my phone) and I know where certain man made structure exists, I also have a tide chart (or two...). But I understand this whole Jew on lures thing is far from easy, so that's why I've come to this forum. I'm not really interested in knowing of your secret Jew spots as I believe that half the fun in fishing is the trial and error of finding these types of places for yourself (having said that...I guess one or two spots couldn't hurt :P ), but what I am interested in is what tackle is required and what lures and retrieves are most effective on Jew.

I'm happy to put in the time and the cash for targeting these beauties so lets hear it...What line class/leader/rod/reel is required and what lures (hard and soft) do the damage consistently. Specific rigs, techniques, jigheads/treble upgrades, you name it I'm interested! What retrieves are consistent in producing the goods? Being a predator sitting at the top of the food chain I'm guessing the Jew wouldn't be too worried about chomping on a lure but what should I be looking out for in terms of a Jew bite?

Any other insight into the species and the locations mentioned (specifically the Hawkesbury and Brisbane Waters) would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, I hope to make more of a contribution on the forums in the future and if anybody local sees a guy out in a 4m Quintrex Dory undoing a windknot or dealing with a backlash then come on over and say hi because I can guarantee it will be me :D

Thanks and tight lines, :thumbup:

Adam

Hey all,

I'm a new member here, been hanging around the forums for a little while but I thought it was about time I introduced myself. I live on the central coast and love all types of fishing but I have really caught onto the light tackle luring bug over the last few years. I mainly fish Brisbane Waters and Broken Bay but I venture out in the Hawkesbury and Pittwater on occasion aswell. Anyway, after reading Sol Bannura's book and watching a few DVDs on the subject of chasing Jew on lures, its fair to say I'm inspired to do the same. I've come across the odd small soapie whilst luring for bream in the rip area of Brisbane Waters but that's about where my experience ends. So I'm hoping that some of you guys on here may be able to help me out in my quest. In return for quality info I'm more than happy to share a few of my secluded little central coast bass locations via pm or give advice on luring bream as this is where my expertise lies.

However, before I go getting too excited, is it worthwhile targeting Jew in the Hawkesbury over the next couple of months? I'm more than happy to put the time in but I guess there's no point trying to refine your techniques on fish that just aren't around! I have formulated a bit of an idea on how to do things through research on the net and fishing magazines, so I'm hoping someone could clarify I'm on the right track: Tide changes are optimum feeding times for Jew especially when coinciding with low light conditions. Follow the tide changes up and down the river at proven spots until fish are located. Deep holes and man made structure such as rock walls and bridge pylons represent quality Jew hunting grounds.

Well if the above statement is correct then i think I'm halfway there, I've got a sounder for locating the deep holes (aswell as Navionics on my phone) and I know where certain man made structure exists, I also have a tide chart (or two...). But I understand this whole Jew on lures thing is far from easy, so that's why I've come to this forum. I'm not really interested in knowing of your secret Jew spots as I believe that half the fun in fishing is the trial and error of finding these types of places for yourself (having said that...I guess one or two spots couldn't hurt :P ), but what I am interested in is what tackle is required and what lures and retrieves are most effective on Jew.

I'm happy to put in the time and the cash for targeting these beauties so lets hear it...What line class/leader/rod/reel is required and what lures (hard and soft) do the damage consistently. Specific rigs, techniques, jigheads/treble upgrades, you name it I'm interested! What retrieves are consistent in producing the goods? Being a predator sitting at the top of the food chain I'm guessing the Jew wouldn't be too worried about chomping on a lure but what should I be looking out for in terms of a Jew bite?

Any other insight into the species and the locations mentioned (specifically the Hawkesbury and Brisbane Waters) would be greatly appreciated. Anyway, I hope to make more of a contribution on the forums in the future and if anybody local sees a guy out in a 4m Quintrex Dory undoing a windknot or dealing with a backlash then come on over and say hi because I can guarantee it will be me :D

Thanks and tight lines, :thumbup:

Adam

nice to meet you goodluck on your hunt, i think some lures which are good are the squidgy fish, though im not an expert at them sorry pretty sure someone here can help you :biggrin2:

Don't know why I PMd this, I'll put it in here as well:

"I haven't caught one myself, but I've done plenty of research and fished with people who consistently get 10kg + fish on plastics.

People use a pretty broad tackle range to target these fish on plastics; I reckon the ideal is a 2-5 or 3-6kg 6'6"-7'6" graphite rod matched to a 2500-3000 sized spin reel spooled with 10lb braid, and 12-20lb leader. This is best for plastics under 5 inch with ~1/4 ounce and under jigheads, although some people prefer to use 1/2 ounce and heavier jigheads with larger 7 inch plastics, with heavier outfits like 6-10kg rods, 4000 size reels with 20lb braid.

I think basically the lighter outfit for most stuff, but if you're often fishing deeper holes with decent current it may be better to upsize the gear.

Plastics that I've heard and seen good things about-

5inch + 7inch Gulp Jerkshads

100mm Squidgy fish silver fox and gary glitter colours

3 and 4 inch gulp pogys

100mm Squidgy shad white lightning

100mm and 120mm Squidgy wrigglers, bloodworm and silver fox

Jigheads:

9 gram squidgy fish shaped heads (my usual with shads and fish)

1/4oz Nitros with a 2/0 hook for the 5inch jerkshads

3/8th TT heads for the Pogys

1/2oz-1oz with 4/0-5/0 hook for the 7inch jerkshads

Recommended outfits- light- Shimano Stradic FJ 2500, Daiwa Freams 2500, 10lb Power Pro, 10lb Daiwa Shinobi, 12lb Nanofil, Pflueger Trion 3-6, Shimano Raider Soft Plastics 3-6.

Heavier Outfits- 10-20lb Shimano Terez, Basically any lightish snapper rod, with 4000 Stradic FJ, Freams, Stradic Ci4, whatever, 20lb Power Pro etc.

If I was going jewie fishing on the Hawkesbury right now I would take- Trion 3-6. Stradic 2500. 10lb braid. 9Gram fish shaped jigheads. 100mm silver fox fish. 12lb fluro leader. I would fish them with a pretty solid rip rip then sink to the bottom.

Hope some of that made sense.

Good luck!"

The reel/rod recommendations were really just to provide an idea of the sort of thing, there's obviously plenty of cheaper/more expensive equivalents.

+1 for flatboy's advice. Spot on the money.

Personally i have only landed 4 jews on plastics but did OK in Brisbane Waters last year, mid winter, out of a kayak. I love the still days/evenings and was fishing quiet waters. My favourite lure was the white 5" or 7" Gulp jerkshad.

In my opinion, if you were after jews on lures, I'd start in a smaller waterway than the hawkesbury. Success there be it on bait or lures depends on a solid knowledge of the fish's habits (where and when based on currents, where the baitfish are, etc.). There is a huge amount of water but maybe again, upstream in the quiet waters is the go in winter. Definitely keep the noise down in your tinny though and try to get out on days when there aren't too many boats out.

When you have been out a few times, re-read Sol's book. I reckon there is heaps to learn from between the lines. The chapters on what they eat and where to find them are particularly informative.

Best of luck.

For sp's, paddle tail models are best. Anything between 4-6" is standard (7" is ok too). As previously mentioned, the transam jackalls are great! You also get big flathead, salmon and the odd king on them. The Jackall TN60 in Beetle Juice colour is great too. Similar to the other jackall but its a hardbody sinking lure. Fish it like a vibe and it works great on the same species plus barra, jacks and just about everything up north!

Cheers, Tom

Thanks for all your advice guys its greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I will give the Jew a shot on Saturday morning, nice high tide around 7ish so with a bit of luck I will have something to report. What do you guys reckon, worth a shot?

Cheers,

Adam

P.S. Will be stocking up on some more tackle tonight :thumbup:

Man I must be doing something wrong, I fish a heavy rod compared to all the other replys. I use a miller beast buster, 30lb braid, 50lb leader on a branzino 3000 reel and I still get smoked every now and then!

I fish the hawkesbury and thats the mIn I will throw there. In the harbour I fish a Daiwa chilidog Stella 3000 with 11lb braid 20-30lb leader.

Jews aren't leader shy!

My 2 go to lures the tranny and the keitech paddle tails on either 5/8th 5/0 - 1oz 7/0s.

The bites are a little tap, very bream like so strike as hard as you can on everything. I strike that hard I move the boat and most of the time my feet are off the ground as I twist my body for the strike. Ever seen bass masters? If you have you'll get the idea!

Areas we fish are all very current rich areas with a mix of rock and mud bottoms. Target the edges of the river where there are big fast drop offs and it will eventually happen.

It's amazing how many jews we catch off the sounder, we see them first before we hook em! On Richards boat he has side scan so you can say left side 20m, cast out let it drop tap bang ya on! Mine is just a normal sounded but we do still see a lot before we hook em.

Time on the water is everything. We only fish one species per trip, back up plan is squid. This keeps us focused and not thinking other fish/ techniques. Our usual session is 5-15hrs and yes it does get boring looking at the same places casting such heavy lures on heavy gear but we do get the fish!

Good luck with it.

Greg

Wow great info there Greg, especially love the idea of those side scan sounders, takes all the guess work out of fishing :thumbup: I have seen those american bass tournies and I have had a guy out on my boat break a glx striking in the exact way you described, he wasn't very happy hahaha Sounds like a brilliant combo your fishing with though! Can I ask the reason why you go up to the 50lb? Is it due to getting busted off on structure or getting bitten off? Do you drop down when fishing a mud bottom or do you just stick with the 50lb always as the Jew don't care. keen to hear your thoughts :)Thanks,

Adam

Yeah Adam structure is the problem. We even start the petrol motor to chase or pull fish away from the tight structure on big fish and still get done over. Im just over loosing these fish and always left wondering just how big they are! It's almost time when the Jews move into the area we target so fingers crossed this winter I get a horse out of there. So far my 18 keg fish is the best we have landed out of the Hawkesbury but a month or so ago we found another nice area that shows massive promise. We even got done over on 50lb to the bottom!

Greg

Yeah Adam structure is the problem. We even start the petrol motor to chase or pull fish away from the tight structure on big fish and still get done over. Im just over loosing these fish and always left wondering just how big they are! It's almost time when the Jews move into the area we target so fingers crossed this winter I get a horse out of there. So far my 18 keg fish is the best we have landed out of the Hawkesbury but a month or so ago we found another nice area that shows massive promise. We even got done over on 50lb to the bottom!

Greg

Well I guess its the ones you lose that keep you coming back mate hahaha All these stories of monsters has got me keen as to get out for a fish :thumbup: Good luck with the big boys :biggrin2: Cheers,

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

"I haven't caught one myself, but I've done plenty of research and fished with people who consistently get 10kg + fish on plastics.

People use a pretty broad tackle range to target these fish on plastics; I reckon the ideal is a 2-5 or 3-6kg 6'6"-7'6" graphite rod matched to a 2500-3000 sized spin reel spooled with 10lb braid, and 12-20lb leader. This is best for plastics under 5 inch with ~1/4 ounce and under jigheads, although some people prefer to use 1/2 ounce and heavier jigheads with larger 7 inch plastics, with heavier outfits like 6-10kg rods, 4000 size reels with 20lb braid.

I think basically the lighter outfit for most stuff, but if you're often fishing deeper holes with decent current it may be better to upsize the gear.

3 and 4 inch gulp pogys

Jigheads:

Recommended outfits- light- Shimano Stradic FJ 2500, Daiwa Freams 2500, 10lb Power Pro, 10lb Daiwa Shinobi, 12lb Nanofil, Pflueger Trion 3-6, Shimano Raider Soft Plastics 3-6.

Heavier Outfits- 10-20lb Shimano Terez, Basically any lightish snapper rod, with 4000 Stradic FJ, Freams, Stradic Ci4, whatever, 20lb Power Pro etc.

If I was going jewie fishing on the Hawkesbury right now I would take- Trion 3-6. Stradic 2500. 10lb braid. 9Gram fish shaped jigheads. 100mm silver fox fish. 12lb fluro leader. I would fish them with a pretty solid rip rip then sink to the bottom.

Good luck!"

The reel/rod recommendations were really just to provide an idea of the sort of thing, there's obviously plenty of cheaper/more expensive equivalents.

They must be fishing off a beach or area with no structure.Thats extremly light gear and I would suggest the second outfit as more approproate for 10kg plus fish. I've caught a few myself on plastics and blades but I have never noticed that they prefer a different colour ? I have used lures from black to white to elton john colours it dose not matter and as Greg said leader size shouldn't be a problem and seeing them on the sounder is key. Get out there and smash those tasty buggers...

mmmmmm jew... :bash:

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Well I've had a few sessions on the jew in brisbane waters now guys and finally I've seemed to crack a pattern focused around the high tide. So far I've managed four soapies which probably doesn't classify as the most amazing result but I'm certainly not complaining. Only issue is the biggest fish so far has been 60cm and I can't seem to hook anything bigger. Sure I've seen some big boys go through on the sounder (generally mixed in with schools of smaller fish) but I can't seem to get them to take a lure. Any help on how I would go about enticing these larger models would be much appreciated guys :) Another question, how do you go about targeting Jew at bridges. My jew so far have come from working banks and holes with plastics but I know there have been fish taken recently at various bridges in the area but I have no idea how to fish them. Any tips in regard to lures, jighead sizes, best part of the tide etc. retrieval techniques would be appreciated. Thanks again, I will look into uploading some pics :)

Cheers

Sure I've seen some big boys go through on the sounder (generally mixed in with schools of smaller fish) but I can't seem to get them to take a lure.

TIP: google "book Sol Bannura Ghost"

the answers about the above problem (plus hundreds more) might be revealed to you...

i have just finished reading it, and can't wait to try and put it into action...

i am land based only, but share your location and will keep targeting one bridge in particular to learn the species we are chasing...

Man I must be doing something wrong, I fish a heavy rod compared to all the other replys. I use a miller beast buster, 30lb braid, 50lb leader on a branzino 3000 reel and I still get smoked every now and then!

I fish the hawkesbury and thats the mIn I will throw there. In the harbour I fish a Daiwa chilidog Stella 3000 with 11lb braid 20-30lb leader.

Jews aren't leader shy!

My 2 go to lures the tranny and the keitech paddle tails on either 5/8th 5/0 - 1oz 7/0s.

The bites are a little tap, very bream like so strike as hard as you can on everything. I strike that hard I move the boat and most of the time my feet are off the ground as I twist my body for the strike. Ever seen bass masters? If you have you'll get the idea!

Areas we fish are all very current rich areas with a mix of rock and mud bottoms. Target the edges of the river where there are big fast drop offs and it will eventually happen.

It's amazing how many jews we catch off the sounder, we see them first before we hook em! On Richards boat he has side scan so you can say left side 20m, cast out let it drop tap bang ya on! Mine is just a normal sounded but we do still see a lot before we hook em.

Time on the water is everything. We only fish one species per trip, back up plan is squid. This keeps us focused and not thinking other fish/ techniques. Our usual session is 5-15hrs and yes it does get boring looking at the same places casting such heavy lures on heavy gear but we do get the fish!

Good luck with it.

Greg

Top Info Greg,you and Rich are an inspiration with your success.Im still yet to work them out on the plastics.

• 3 months later...

For a hardbody you can't go past the killerlure jewie 150. You wont find a better hardbody for jews. They can be hard to find but worth the effort if you are serious about catching them. I have caught perhaps a quarter of my jews on them.

Personally most of my jewie fishing was done land based around a bridge until recently so I use a monster unit designed to pull a hippo out of his waterhole (which coincidentally is the same rod I use for taking big kings off the rocks) and away from tackle killing country where I throw my lures. It is a Shimano T-curve Bluewater series rated 15-24kg. It is paired with a Shimano Saragosa 14000 with 50lb of sunline's finest braid with 50lb FC leader. So far I have managed a 76cm model taken near the pylons as my best so far, but have also been busted off with this unit being too close to the bridge pylons with some big fish (who knows what they were) who had a bit too much room to move.

If I was fishing from a boat the setup changes dramatically, I use a 7'10" 2-5kg starlo stick combined with an FJ stradic 3000 with 15lb braid and 30lb leader (they have big toothies in there) or my Abu Garcia snapper unit 3-6kg paired with a 4000 FJ stradic with 20lb braid and 30lb leader.

As far as plastics 5 inch jerk shads are great especially ones which look like poddy mullet or yakka coloured, paddle tails are also worth their weight in gold (once again in a mullet tone if you can find one, the jews love their mullet). Personally I like the starlo and bushies pro range mongrels and slick rigs, they are insanely good. Weight and jig head size depends on your choice of plastic and surrounding conditions of course.

• 7 months later...

3 and 4 inch gulp pogys

Jigheads:

Good luck!"

That's so true I caught my first Jewfish about a week ago now with this set up..

2-4kg 6'4" Pflueger trion.

200 E7 Curado baitcaster 8lb line and 8lb leader.

100mm and 120mm Squidgy

Now I know why anglers target this species I'm still buzzing a week later.

The inspiration is greatly appreciated Thx to threads like this one keep up the good work. :D

Cheers Daniel