The Elusive Bass

I have just finished 6 weeks leave… Yes… 6 weeks…

Throughout this time I had many plans… paint the remaining rooms in the house… finish the retaining wall out the back… build horse jumps for my partner… Were any of these done??? No… What did I decide to do??? Chase the Bass…

I moved down to Campbelltown around 4 years ago… My new years resolution was to spend as much time fishing as possible… (my partner spends most weekends up with her horses…) My fishing till this point has been land based salt water… I have heard on the grapevine that Bass can give as good as they get… So I thought ‘Why Not’… I found a couple of local spots on the Nepean in my area (Menangle, Douglas Park and Camden) and tried my luck… No luck…

So I went to my local fishing shop and they were fantastic. Lovely people, gave me a few tips and even told of a couple more access points for land based that I didn’t know of…

So I tried them all… No luck…

I have used surface poppers, floating/sinking lures, weighted lures…

No luck…

I have endured freezing mornings rugged up in the fog unable to see 10 feet in front of me… Brisk evenings with flashlights and headlights just to try and tie on the lure… Beautiful days of sunshine beaming across the water… raining days soaking me to my bones… Still no luck…

Over the past 6 weeks, I think I have fished maybe 25 days… all I have caught is a Mullet in salt water at Audley… That elusive Bass still hasn’t taken my hook…

What do I take from all of this??? That Bass is out there!!! And I am going to get it!!! I am heading back to work tomorrow so the angling will have to take a back seat for a while… but I still have the weekends and I AM GOING TO CATCH THAT BASS!!!!

In time you will crack the code...did you try any spinner baits....fairly easy to use and very snag free...I don't fish out that way so I'm no good for a land based bass spot I'm afraid....maybe team up with a mate and do a trip to a stocked dam if you can like Glenbawn or St Clair in the Hunter region or hit one of the central coast rivers (Mclay) or south coast rivers (Shoalhaven)...keep at it, trust me its well worth the effort and once you crack the code you will be addicted.

It took me a few years to crack my first bass and i havent looked back since. Keep at it jojazz you wont be dissapointed. I have fished the nepean around camden a fair few times and never managed a big bass but if its the first one your after try any of the wiers with a small (40mm) diver shallow diving ones. Cast into the over flowing water or any of the back eddies and roll the lure back and you may pick up a couple. They are generally only 15cm long but it will be your first haha. So good luck with your ventures I hope you get one!

I fish in the Nepean too near Penrith/Yarramundi and I noticed they're not taking surface lures very readily. Could be the time of year? I dunno, but they reckon they're down lower. I have had luck with spinnerbait so give that a try like poddy trapper suggested.

Hi i live and fish the same area and have been here for over 30 years this season has been a lot tougher than previous years ive found lipless crankbaits with a dead slow retrive the most reliable in yellow/green colours.When you get your first it will be the first of many your confidence will skyrocket.Also dont forget the georges river access involves a bit of walking but the fishing can be great and scenery fantastic.give us a pm if you like for some spots.cheers and tight lines.

try using a Betts spin. these seem to usually work when all else fails. also get yourself a kayak if you can. I used to walk to banks with pretty low success rates, as soon as I got the kayak my catch rate went up tenfold, and I had alot more fun doing so! :)

Thanks everyone for all the tips... been looking at kayaks, just got to save some money for one then I will be off.. Will try some of those lures etc you have all mentioned... wish me luck!!!