Thompsons Creek Dam

Hello fellow Raiders,

For quite some time now, it has been in large debate as to whether you can or can't "Legally" fish the dam wall.

I read a post online a few nights ago, stating that Fisheries in conjunction with Delta Electricity (The owners of TCD), are going to be imposing an on the spot $500 fine if caught fishing the dam wall.

This prompted me to call a lady I have spoken with in the past at Delta, to confirm if this is in fact true.

She confirmed that as of Today, yes today, 04/05/2102 it is now in action.

They will also be updating the signage at the gate and around the dam.

So, if you are a regular up at the dam, or are thinking of fishing there in the future, be aware that it is now concrete...No fishing on the dam wall.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

That's a total load of crap! What harm is it doing allowing people to fish the wall? It's not like a few people climbing on the rocks will be detrimental to the integrity of the structure. It just seems like the fisheries and delta are just trying to make fishing there as unattractive as possible to discourage fisherman going there.

That's a total load of crap! What harm is it doing allowing people to fish the wall? It's not like a few people climbing on the rocks will be detrimental to the integrity of the structure. It just seems like the fisheries and delta are just trying to make fishing there as unattractive as possible to discourage fisherman going there.

Hi Mate, yeah I hear what your saying, but from what I gather, they are doing this because someone fell over on the dam wall last year, and broke their leg.

They then apparently started litigation against Delta Electricity! So from their point of view, whilst its their land, they feel they have to protect themselves from further instances.

On the other side of the coin, you could fall and break a bone anywhere, you could simply trip over your other foot lol.

Its a tough one of sorts, but at least we all know where we stand now, so it's no longer a "grey area".

Well when they close the dam for disobeying the rules I for one will be pissed about it and that dam wall is downright dangerous and one slip and you would be in big trouble.

Regards Stewy

Hi Stewy,

Yeah It is very dangerous, so it makes sense really. I would be gutted big time if they did close the dam due to people ignoring the rules, so we really need to respect the rules up there, even if we don't agree with them.

Hooked up & myself have a big post on TCD coming soon, so watch this space thumbup.gif

If they make it a real rule fair enough but the security guard has drive by me fishing on the wall at least twenty times and never said a word, nor has NSW the Fisheries inspector.

Hi Mate,

Yeah I know what you mean, I've fished the wall before now, and even spoken with three different Delta Security guards, whom all said that you can fish on the wall.

Like you say, if they make it a real rule, fair enough.

Well I spoke with Delta today, and the rule is in effect as of today, so I guess once the signs go up, they've made it clear.

Since I've stopped fishing the wall, it has really opened up a lot of other fishing spots, so whilst there is some good fish along the wall, they are pretty much everywhere, so it's not all bad.

What if the lake is full and you can fish from the 'top'?

I tended to stay of the wall itself anyway, when the Dam was down around 20% I would clamber down to fish that 'island' that formed but otherwise stayed off.

Always thought the fishing was better elsewhere anyway :thumbup:

Echo Stewys sentiments though, if we lose this magic lake due to some clowns then I too will be **insert strong word here** fuming... :ranting2:

Cheers

Windy

It's a fair call to stay off the wall I have seen folk clamber down and those rocks are loose one slip and yep you can do some damage.

We don't need idiots losing the one trophy trout fishery accessable all year thats close enough to Sydney for a day trip!

As one poster has pointed out he sees no harm well he will when the place is shut down tighter than a fishes rear end!!!!! And we can't fish there! Yep lets stay off the wall. The interesting fact is what legislation and under what body is the fine issued? Local or State Government? Will be interesting to see how the majority react to this.

It's a fair call to stay off the wall I have seen folk clamber down and those rocks are loose one slip and yep you can do some damage.

We don't need idiots losing the one trophy trout fishery accessable all year thats close enough to Sydney for a day trip!

As one poster has pointed out he sees no harm well he will when the place is shut down tighter than a fishes rear end!!!!! And we can't fish there! Yep lets stay off the wall. The interesting fact is what legislation and under what body is the fine issued? Local or State Government? Will be interesting to see how the majority react to this.

The lady I spoke with at Delta Electricity today, didn't say if the $500 fine would be enforced & carried out by Delta security, but did say it would be enforced by NSW fisheries.

I'm pretty sure that Delta would have some authority in this, considering its their land.

Either way, we've gotta look after the dam, like you say mate, its the closest prime trout fishery to Sydney.

What if the lake is full and you can fish from the 'top'?

I tended to stay of the wall itself anyway, when the Dam was down around 20% I would clamber down to fish that 'island' that formed but otherwise stayed off.

Always thought the fishing was better elsewhere anyway :thumbup:

Echo Stewys sentiments though, if we lose this magic lake due to some clowns then I too will be **insert strong word here** fuming... :ranting2:

Cheers

Windy

Yeah I thought the same thing actually, what if the water level is full, can you fish from the top of the wall?

I suppose if your walking over the wall, and you see a fish you might get the urge to cast to it.

The thing is though, you would still have to go down to net the fish, so, I guess its not possible, even if you did cast from the top of the wall

Edited by foolforjesus

Private security can't issue fines, it's not legal. All they can do is ask you to leave and that's it. If they're imposing fines it will have to be fisheries doing it as they have the authority.

The wall is excellent for fishing at times and it's a shame that it's being closed off to us because of some clumsy clown looking for a quick buck. But that's the story of life isn't it?

Edited by abecedarian

Well I hope that the so called CLUMSY CLOWN isnt reading our forums as the joke might be on all of us who enjoy Thommos so much :1badmood:

Well here's hoping that if they do read this forum they realize that there are a large number of people that love fishing TCD and that their litigation against Delta may just spoil it for everyone. It already has to a small degree, not enough to really matter but if Delta start losing money from people fishing there then the future is bleak :(

Agreed,

STAY OFF THE WALL AND WE WILL ALL ENJOY THOMMOS FOR MANY YEARS TO COME.

If Admin see any posts with pictures of any members fishing the dam wall from today...THEY WILL BE BANNED FROM THE SITE.

Date 5th May 2012

This topic is now pinned for all to see

Regards Admin

good work swordy,

Hello fellow Raiders,

For quite some time now, it has been in large debate as to whether you can or can't "Legally" fish the dam wall.

I read a post online a few nights ago, stating that Fisheries in conjunction with Delta Electricity (The owners of TCD), are going to be imposing an on the spot $500 fine if caught fishing the dam wall.

This prompted me to call a lady I have spoken with in the past at Delta, to confirm if this is in fact true.

She confirmed that as of Today, yes today, 04/05/2102 it is now in action.

They will also be updating the signage at the gate and around the dam.

So, if you are a regular up at the dam, or are thinking of fishing there in the future, be aware that it is now concrete...No fishing on the dam wall.

Thanks everyone.

nice job getting the details man and bringing to everyones attention, cheers.

its a shame the wall is closed now as its a great spot to fish especialy with the spin rod,

i can see why people will get upset with the rule me included, but we have to remember this isnt public land and i feel priveledged to be able to fish it all,

the wall is a very easy place to have a slip so i can totally understand where they are coming from unfortunate as it is.

its a big lake with plenty of spots to fish that are much more scenic and the fishing is great all over from my experiences,

how many other lakes on private property that hold such great fish can we even enter? if they exist!

none that i know of so lets do the right thing ay.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

G'day Raiders,

Just had a chat with the DPI officer at Bathurst, who covers TCD.

He said that new signs will be put up at the main entrance (Car Park) very soon, clearly stating the ban on fishing the dam wall, plus other rules.

From what I hear and have seen personally, there has been a number of people seen bait/powerbait fishing lately plus lighting fires etc.

The fisheries officer told me that unless people start to stick to the rules, Delta WILL be closing all access to the dam.

If you are fishing up at Thommo's and see any illegal activity, if possible maybe give the fisheries officer a call on- 0488 220 443, and let him know of the activity.

Also, with caution, you could in a friendly and respectful manner advise people of their error, bringing light to the rules.

The last thing we want is for Delta to say enough is enough, close TCD, and lose the right to fish this top quality waterway.

Thank you.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Went up there today with 2 fellow raiders, diesel and Jewstalker. that was after a 5hr walk through the coxs, for no fish might I add.

We fished TCD for about 4hrs til sunset for no fish might I add again!

So now I would like to change these fellow raider alias's..........

Jewstalker- trout scarer

Diesel- lost another lure or fishless again!

Was a great walk though, I mean a great great walk.

Give me port stephens anyday! But at least I can say I gave it a go and a big thanks to jewstalker for his patience and knowledge!

Cheers scratchie!!!

It was an awesome walk. I am glad though that you got to see that big one which followed my lure to the edge and that they do actually exist hehe. At least also you caught some fish... Even if they were plastic ones. That was a bit of a score!

Thanks to you and Diesel for a good day by the water. Lets hope next time I can get you onto a couple.

My Mate told me some people were camping at the quarry yesterday!

The 4WD, tent, fire, possibly bait fishing?!

Man I hope they don't close Thommo's coz of people who blatantly disobey the rules.

People fishing the wall is one thing, but people camping with fires is bad.

I saw two people on motocross bikes a month or so ago, hammering it all over Thommo's for over two hours, going flat out over the wall etc!

It's been fishing tough of late, heaps of people fishing too.

Hopefully the cold weather will deter the people that don't treat the place with respect.

Make sure you try it again guys, there are some beautiful Trout up there.