Thompsons Creek Dam

I might add the people we saw fishing the wall were also using bait. I didn't get close to them but I could see they weren't casting and winding. They were clearly soaking whatever they had on. I did call Delta and told them about the guys on the wall but I didn't see the patrol car come out to tell them to move off the wall.

I was there also one time with a dirtbike screaming all over the place, He came within several metres of me. I also heard one when we were there the other day but I never seen it. I do hope these people pull their heads in before they spoil it for everyone. I do enjoy going to Thommos for a fish.

Fish there as much as you can in the near future because it won't last. TCD is a private dam on private property. Delta power get absolutely no benefit from us fishing there other than a bit of goodwill. Once they realize that the risk of litigation is more than the benefit of any goodwill by letting fishermen on their property they'll close it as quick as anything.

It's a shame, there are good fish there. I dropped a brown that would have been a PB for me on Saturday. Not happy...

Fished there Saturday with a mate for big fat 0's bloke walked past us early in the morning I asked him how he we t he said no good then I noticed the rod holder in his pack asked him if he was baiting he said nah.. I'm calling bullshit on that.. First time we've fished there but we'd definitely like to go back

Sad but true, I have fished the Dam for years and almost every trip there has been someone on the wall. If only they could get their fishing licenses revoked and next time they are caught they would lose their gear and get a fine. It is a shane that at times the minority can ruin it for the people who follow the rules. Worst of all, I hardly see anyone catch much from the wall

I know that the majority of fly fishers local and non follow the regs and that upon speaking to many over the years it aes it's actually the locals who don't give a toss!!!! I reckon you have enough water to bait fish without doing it at thommos incidentally they had the same issues on the eucumbene on closing taking excess numbers of fish bait fishing anglers jumping in ahead of others! There's a lot of morons out there

• 1 month later...

Hi Shred,

Are you serious? Mate how did you come by this post, I'd love to see it.

I know a few people at Delta, who also know the fisheries man for the area.

Man this has gotta stop.

found a post on Facebook last night, Bait fishing, Nighttime, 11 trout kept, atleast 5 were pushing the 10 pound mark. some people just have to ruin it for others don't they.

found a post on Facebook last night, Bait fishing, Nighttime, 11 trout kept, atleast 5 were pushing the 10 pound mark. some people just have to ruin it for others don't they.

Man that is bollocks!

In all seriousness I am pretty upset about that. Sure if some dude goes there not knowing regs on the dam (highly unlikely) with his child (who generally aren't suited to lure or fly fishing) and soaks a bait I wouldn't hold it against him if he took a fish home but I would definitely let him know in my friendliest demeanour of the regulations and advise him of a good spot or two on another dam where he can soak a bait all day and not have issues. However what you have just written is a blatant disregard for not only the regs but other fisho's who love Thommos. They are not only ignoring every fishing regulation that has been put there for a very good reason but they are also ignoring NSW bag limits for trout in standard waters let alone a trophy dam!

This kind of activity in one of the states very few trophy dams is completely unacceptable. I want to be able to take my kids there one day and get them onto those monsters, but with this kind of attitude from people it almost definitely means I wont be able to before they are old enough and that really sucks.

Luc.

Edited by Trout Stalker

Doesn't using bait to catch trout take away from every bit of catching trout? Trout, barra and bass are the fish I believe takes true skill to catch and should only be done with lures. Hopefully Luc can show me around the area in the next two weeks ive got off work !! :D

I am more than happy to take you out Sarge... I have one little problem though, my new car is in the shop with a blown head gasket (the missus killed it). Not sure when I will get it back. Hopefully before you go back to work. Sorry dude, unforeseen circumstances have a habit of showing up when you need them the least.

If you have a car though we can take I don't see an issue. :)

Edited by Trout Stalker

I am more than happy to take you out Sarge... I have one little problem though, my new car is in the shop with a blown head gasket (the missus killed it). Not sure when I will get it back. Hopefully before you go back to work. Sorry dude, unforeseen circumstances have a habit of showing up when you need them the least.

If you have a car though we can take I don't see an issue. :)

Damn lol but im still keen. I drive a skyline but ill probably be coming with pete so its not a practical car for 3 guys plus gear. Ill try organise something. Pm me which you can fish and ill try make it happen!

Doesn't using bait to catch trout take away from every bit of catching trout? Trout, barra and bass are the fish I believe takes true skill to catch and should only be done with lures. Hopefully Luc can show me around the area in the next two weeks ive got off work !! :D

What an incredibly odd thing to say? No, it doesn't take anything from catching Trout and if anything they are easier to catch on lures than they are on bait. Especially Browns, very tough things to fool with bait a lot of the time. Why does using bait make you a lesser angler in so many peoples eyes?

Matt could it be the elitist I must catch all trout on a dry English gentry approach!!!!! (said in a tongue in cheek tone) does not matter how you catch a trout they are tough to fool at the best of times no matter the approach! I just find more trout a throat and gut hooked on bait! It makes no one a lesser angler on how they fool mr speckles but a decent one when they do! Personally I'm a fly only man and that's what floats my boat for trout others like lures and others the bait approach! I'll leave it at that!

LOL, you forgot the tweed jacket! I reckon 75% of my Trout are on Fly now days, the 20% on lure and last 5% are bait. Sometimes, its very pleasant on a warm evening to float out a mudeye under a float, a cup of coffee in hand and just sit and relax. Some of the best evenings I have had are with my Dad just sitting on the shores of Eucumbene with the stars shining down and just talking while the mudeyes are out. There is also something very satisyfing about hearing a lightly set drag take off when a nice Rainbow grabs the mudeye.

I try not to differentiate between the styles or rank them in any order. As a Trouto I see enough of the elitism from some quarters (thankfully dimishing). Each to their own, at the end of the day its all about the fishing. :banana:

Cheers

Windy

Mate spent time on English chalk streams and was frowned at for nymphing!!!! Frank sawyer was a heretic for pioneering the pheasant tail!!!! There still is an elitist but yes thankfully a lot less fishing should be about good times!!!! No matter your approach or chosen method as long as its not a stick of dynamite!!!!! And yes mate bring on opening I think ill hit the fish river this year leave the snowys till November when the rush dies down! Hit kiandra or tantagra and the upper bidgee or swampy plains!

What an incredibly odd thing to say? No, it doesn't take anything from catching Trout and if anything they are easier to catch on lures than they are on bait. Especially Browns, very tough things to fool with bait a lot of the time. Why does using bait make you a lesser angler in so many peoples eyes?

Hmm I see what you're saying but at the same time I didn't mean what you think I meant. It does not make you less of an angler, by no means. I'm just saying, from my point of view, catching trout seems like a finesse form of fishing done with lures and trying to entice the fish. Throwing a bait at the fish is great fun for those lazy days, just unwinding but I feel bait is more about enticing a fish. Using a lure on the other hand requires you to fine tune what you're doing, present the lure or fly to the fish and convince the fish what it sees is the real deal and strike at the right time when it falls for your trap. Lures are about fooling! No matter how you fish it doesn't make you any more or less of an angler. I guess since Ive moved off bait fishing, I'm a little more biased towards the lures lol. I don't think I'll ever flathead or bream fish with bait ever again lol.

I know where your coming from Sarge, I went off bait for yonks and wouldn't use it for anything either. Spent years Tournament fishing for Bream and chasing everything with lures and more recently Fly.

However thats kind of changed, now I find that just fishing regardless of technique is just as fulfilling as only using lures or Fly.

Cheers

Windy

lol you guys are funny.

I personally like to trout fish in my harris tweed coat. its durable and keeps me warm...

trout fishing its self (from an outsiders POV (ie, mine)) tends to lend its self to perceived snobbery.

hilarious.

• 9 months later...

Folks, just a heads up on the current conditions at Thommos. The banks are very soft and slippery at the moment and you should fish with extreme care. The lake is being drained rather rapidly which means the meter or two of bank closest to the water will be very wet and have had little time to dry out. We went up Sunday but pulled the pin straight away after a few slips and tumbles. The fishing is good but I didn't feel it warranted the risk. It's a long way back to the car if you do injure yourselves so please take care.

Folks, just a heads up on the current conditions at Thommos. The banks are very soft and slippery at the moment and you should fish with extreme care. The lake is being drained rather rapidly which means the meter or two of bank closest to the water will be very wet and have had little time to dry out. We went up Sunday but pulled the pin straight away after a few slips and tumbles. The fishing is good but I didn't feel it warranted the risk. It's a long way back to the car if you do injure yourselves so please take care.

It's worth mentioning the frisky male kangaroos as well. I was on a solo effort there three weeks ago with an early start. I cut across a few areas to get to one of my spots only to have walked into a big greys territroy. This guy was not happy and was easy twice my size. He proceeded to charge at me for about 5 minutes, constantly standing on his tail and puffing his chest out. My little 1-3kg rod didnt seem like much of a defence ha ha. After a bit of yelling and waving my arms around I manged to shake him off once I got back down to the waters edge. They could seriously inflict some damage if they wanted to so watch out!

• 5 years later...

I have read a lot about TCD but never been there. A mate of mine is suggesting we go but I am concerned about the walk in.

My mate is 62 and has a minor heart condition, I'm just worried about the walk in. I believe it is about 20 minutes walking time, but can anyone advise if it is an easy walk, if it's uphill, hard ground etc. I just need to make sure that it won't be too hard for him.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Its only a short walk  slightly uphill  gravel road   the banks are fairly easy walking      im 57 and can walk round the dam in a full day  spinning all the way       some of the best fish ive seen came from the first 100mtrs of bank from the wall on left side as you walk in

Edited by rickmarlin62

Thanks for the info RickMarlin. I didn't want to go there and find that he couldn't walk the full distance in or it was so steep he couldn't walk up the path. I don't mind carrying his bagge but he's too big to put on my shoulders(lol).

Appreciate the info and I will definitely try it out over the coming weeks.

• 4 years later...