What drag pressure to set my reel right?

squidboy

Hi fellow raiders,

I own a Shimano Tyrnos 12 Overhead reel with 80LB braid. It is rated at 15kg drag on their website. I was wondering whether I need to set sunset at 15kg or only the strike setting. Would appreciate any advice, as I can crank up 18kg at sunset if I rellay try.

Squidboy

Hi fellow raiders,

I own a Shimano Tyrnos 12 Overhead reel with 80LB braid. It is rated at 15kg drag on their website. I was wondering whether I need to set sunset at 15kg or only the strike setting. Would appreciate any advice, as I can crank up 18kg at sunset if I rellay try.

Squidboy

thats insane drag man, dont get pulled over, what are you chasing?

wouldnt sunset be maxed out at 15kg? id imagine the strike drag would be around the 8kg mark which is a heap of drag once loaded through a rod.

for 80lb braid you want about 12-13kg max, 1/3 breaking strain of the line,

but seriously you better hang on if you run into a good fish.

Edited by Hooked up

Hi mate,

I would set the drag at 8kg at strike, as don't forget you still have sunset up your sleeve if needed, also with overhead you can burn some skin off your thunmb if needed as well.

I have a Tynos 20 and i have it set at 8kg on strike, but then again its been around 4-5yrs and it is yet to see :wacko: water

Dont forget you need to consider the drag rating of the rod. If you have a 10 kg rod and you crank the tyrnos up to its sunset drag setting of (say)15 kg your rod will likely break with any decent fish :ranting2: :ranting2:

Hi fellow raiders,

I am currently running a Daiwa Monster Mesh 6-8 PE rod. The rod was buckledover at 18kg a few weekends ago when a good mate of mine landed a 23kg kingfish. My concern is that if I need to run 15kg at sunset that I will be in the market for another reel. I also have a Stella 10000 which is a treat on the bigger kings. Let me tell you, there is nothing like these reals going nuts, and yes you hold on, usually the rod and boat at the same time lol

15kg is alot off drag, I would honestly be surprised with a spool of line will achieve 15kgs. Even stellas which claims 25kgs of drag will not put out that much with a full spool.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Tyrons 12 with 50 pound braid. It is on a 200 deep jig. I run it at around 8 kg at strike.

This gives a better drag curve for my purposes. I do a lot of different styles of fishing, live baiting, trolling jigging with it.

If you have too you can always go to sunset. But this handles just about anything.

Also on a side note, what do you think of the reel?

I don't know why they made it so loud (with the clicker off), gets a bit annoying when jigging.